Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BTR Automatic Shift Differences
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I have EF1 and AU2 XR6s, both with BTR autos and 3.45 diffs, but they shift very differently.

The EF up-shifts quite loose at full throttle, while the AU (with ESS) shifts smooth at low-mid throttle, but hits hard (very nice :twisted: ) at full throttle - really gotta be careful in the wet.

The EF manually up-shifts and down-shifts almost instantly at mild throttle, but the AU can take up to 4 seconds to make up its mind.

When manually down-shifting under engine braking, the EF is tight, almost banging into lower gear. The AU takes forever, then gradually slides into the lower gear - like slipping the clutch on a manual.

Is all this normal for the two models? The shift programs must be radically different. Any way I can speed up the manual changes on the AU?

There's 215ks on the AU and 290ks on the EF. The EF has been high-stalled, but that didn't really affect the things I've mentioned above.

Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: BTR Automatic Shift Differences
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

QLD, Australia

Hey,

I recently had the gearbox in my AU fairlane die, and the only other box i could find (was assured it was an AU, but i know it was an EF because of dipstick) was fitted.

I have noticed that the new box is soooooo much smoother changing gears. But if i am giving it the beans in second it SLAMS into 3rd. I dont know if its cause it is slightly older or not, but there was a noticable difference.

99 AU Fairlane Ghia V8 Black Leather, 19" ANZ 5+5's with 245/35 rubber
Full sound system. Extractors, Dual 2.25" exhaust.
Lowered on Tickford XR8 springs and shocks!!

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EF-MattyB wrote:
I recently had the gearbox in my AU fairlane die, and the only other box i could find (was assured it was an AU, but i know it was an EF because of dipstick) was fitted.

Sure it was an EF.

Alot of people added dipsticks to EL and AU boxes... I did.. And many taxi drivers did when their boxes went in for reco.

Its only a 10mm hole in the side of the box.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well to be honest it looks too old to be a AU box. Plus the guy seemed pretty dodgy. Not only that but the auto guys looked at it and said straight away that it looked like it was out of an EF or earlier.

99 AU Fairlane Ghia V8 Black Leather, 19" ANZ 5+5's with 245/35 rubber
Full sound system. Extractors, Dual 2.25" exhaust.
Lowered on Tickford XR8 springs and shocks!!

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

If the au box is graduly sliding in and takes forever have you bern servicing it lately, they seem to do that if you dont service them at all

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Can't speak for the history of the trans - just bought the AU off a yard in September. But the car looked generally maintained by the book - lots of near new bits, so the previous owner had spent considerable money on it. The first thing I did was a full trans service and flush anyway. The upshifts at WOT are awesomely fast but not harsh, so I doubt that the clutches are stuffed. Feels more like the way the trans is modulating line pressure. I guess I could control that with a chip, now that the trans table definitions are getting unlocked. I was really just wondering if it's operating normally for an AU - especially the delayed changes (1-4 seconds) when shifting manually at light throttle.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

from what ive heard the au xr series auto boxs are the hardest shifting from factory out of all the btrs made.
i dunno how true or whats different on em but thats what ive heard.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Is the AU adaptive shift ? that would explain everything... much more computer orientated compared to the earlier models.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

afaik the only au's to have the adaptive shifts were models without the power econo switch..
its mentioned in the factory hand book...

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yes that's about right. my XR never had the switch, I never found out it was adaptive till a few weeks after I bought it, as much as I hate autos, it was one of fords best controlled 4 speeds.

I also found out you could set the minimum performance value for the auto after I installed the T5.... lol

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yep, it's adaptive shift. Sorry, I called it ESS, which is probably a technical term for it. So, I guess it means the computer does a lot more thinking than normal - thus, the delay.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Not so much thinking causing a delay, more of its watching how you drive and shifting depending on your style.

So if your in say stop start traffic on light throttle, its going to shift and behave like a little girly. You need to teach it to be a man.

I really hate that adaptive shift crap. Hate not knowing what mind the box is in. And it only gets worse as the cars get newer. I miss simple a power and econ button.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: au1 V8 1 tonne poverty pac ute

QLD, Australia

I have an au v8 auto with econo and pwr button, recently fitted an adjustable shift kit, makes a hell of a difference when upshifting and downshifting, much much more responsive.

Don't force it, use a Bigger hammer

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Tragically, most of my driving (in time, not distance) is in stop and go rush hour traffic. So, the computer must think I drive like a nanna, and shift accordingly. I will have to drive the EF to work and keep the AU for weekends, so I can train it with some WOT and redline :twisted:

There is a way you can force it permanently into power mode, so I might give that a try. Cheers for the help, guys.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Its not so much long term training, its more there and then.

The ZF's in a BF learn long term, so they vary their behavior over time. Plus they have a kick down switch on the accelerator pedal so they go from nana to full performance when you need it.

Whereas those boxes only have fixed 5 strategies built in.

So you might spend 90% of your time in traffic, but you need to move quickly. So you do a WOT, but chances are the box will shift well short of redline and shift slowly. Then you go back to traffic driving and it still thinks your driving like a granny. So it doesnt actually give you what you want.

But get out on a windy road and hit WOT say 5 times, then the box says "hey, he wants to drive fast, time to change strategy to semi performance"... Then you hit WOT another 5 times, so the box moves into full performance strategy. Then it stays there until you start slacking off.

So it might be worth forcing it into a mode and see how that tickles your nuts. :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next