Fordmods Logo

BTR Gearbox identification problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: BTR Gearbox identification problem
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi all,

I have bought myself a tody NC fairlane 5.0. i got it for a good price because the gearbox didnt work. the woman claimed that her Ex got under the car and broke a line and when she drove it, the box smoked and stopped.

Having brought the car home and had a look, the fluid is mostly gone but what is left is still red. I followed the cooler lines and all seemed ok, i put some fluid in it and sure enough, a leak!

the leak is comming from the drivers side of the box. on this side there is a circular part, this is behind the shift lever and infront of the filler plug. in pics in the manual it seems to have some sort of cap, mine has a hole in the middle with a circlip around it and there is a rubber o-ring around the larger part of it.

my question is what is this thing? what is missing? and ca i just get one from a 6cyl at a wrecker and replace it or is there more to it?

the fluid has sprayed on the exhaust which covers the smoking, im hoping that it only stopped due to lack of fluid and that when i fix it put fluid in it, it should be drivable.

Thanks so so much in advance!

Cheers

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

That is the front servo. There should be a circlip holding it in ( a big one, roughly 80 to 100mm in diameter.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

nothing there, the cover is gone, there is a risin section there with a large o-ring aorund it then in the middle on the circular area there is a small hole with a circlip around it.

how do i go about replacing it? and is it likely that anything else was damaged and that the box might still be ok once this is fixed?

thanks so much in advance

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
nothing there, the cover is gone, there is a risin section there with a large o-ring aorund it then in the middle on the circular area there is a small hole with a circlip around it.

how do i go about replacing it? and is it likely that anything else was damaged and that the box might still be ok once this is fixed?

thanks so much in advance
try a wrecker or automatic place,to see what is possible,you will still need a service to check the box and fill it,also check error codes.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]