BTR-ZFR 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: BTR-ZFR
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 04 BA Mk2 Xr6

Hey
I currently own an '04 BA Mk2 XR6 with the BTR 4 speed in it. What i was wondering was, is it at all possible for the ZFR 6 speed, to be dropped into this from either a Ghia or BF? Like, how hard is it (a straight swap), does the diff need to be changed etc..

Cheers

Post subject: Re: BTR-ZFR
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

a bloke did it years ago and it was a massive job... probably cheaper and easier to sell your current car and buy one with a ZF if you want one so bad...
imo the ZF isnt as good as everyone reckons...

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Oh really? 'Cause i don't know to much about mechanics, i just assumed, for example, 'cause the GHIA could have it, it must not have been to much modification, if any at all. How come you think it's not as good as people say?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

half the cars wiring needs to be changed.

have fun!

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

EFFalcon wrote:
half the cars wiring needs to be changed.

have fun!

Really? Why is that?

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Dohc el futura, ea falcon

VIC, Australia

the 6 speed has like a built in computer to control it or something is one reason u need to change the wiring... plus u'd need a bf computer,cluster, 6 speed shifter etc

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

gusbus wrote:
the 6 speed has like a built in computer to control it or something is one reason u need to change the wiring... plus u'd need a bf computer,cluster, 6 speed shifter etc

i asked this question a few years ago and was shut down preety quick because it IS a massive job.

in short. dont bother. if you really really wanna do it then ofcourse anything is possible...

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

gusbus wrote:

So in other words, the BTR doesn't have this computer in it?. How come you would need a BF cluster?

Benny D wrote:
i asked this question a few years ago and was shut down preety quick because it IS a massive job.

in short. dont bother. if you really really wanna do it then ofcourse anything is possible...

Yeah was just inquring as i have heard about how much better the ZFR is.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

nah the btr is like a upgrade over the e series ones.. dont quote me on that.. its contolled by the main computer... wheres the 6 speed is completely different and has its own....u need the cluster i assume cos it shows six gears instead of 4 on it and maybe traction control?? little unsure.. but a guy on here who swapped the 4 speed for a six speed had to change the cluster... look up 'dohc into ed conversion'.. its towards the end where he did the trans swap

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

opps double post

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

96el wrote:
Oh really? 'Cause i don't know to much about mechanics, i just assumed, for example, 'cause the GHIA could have it, it must not have been to much modification, if any at all. How come you think it's not as good as people say?

Cheers

mostly because people overrate it. when they were released everyone thought they'd handle 350+rwkw all day every day, but plenty of them have blown up...

i've driven a couple of modified 6spd and 4spd BA/BF/FG turbo's and the 6spd didn't drive any better. also if you have a look at the 1/4 times the 4spds are getting quicker 60ft times.
although this may change now they are able to tune the ZF (line pressures etc).

i wouldnt waste your time or money converting it, if you want the 6 speed bad enough i'd sell what you have and buy something with it from factory :)
my 2c worth.

cheers.

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

gusbus wrote:
dont quote me on that..

We wont. :lol:

The transmission is just the start, and when you work backwards to see everything else you need, its just not worth it.

BF engine ecu's have no transmission control in them. They talk to the ZF ecu via a dedicated CAN bus. So you need the BF ECU and most of the car's wiring loom to suit. Dual oxy sensors (so new exhaust), BF cluster as I believe the BF ECU wont work properly, unless the cluster has a MIL light available to it.

The more complex part of the ZF is it uses half of the DSC system to work. Wheel sensors for speed, steering sensors (somewhere in the steering column) for steering angle and brake and accelerator sensors.

Hence the recommendation to sell your car and buy one with a ZF in it if you really want that transmission.

They are a good transmission. Many steps above the BTR (stock for stock), but not the god of all transmissions like alot of people say they are. They can be picky buggy pain in the a** piece of s**t to deal with, and fairly expensive to properly maintain. And there are times where the BW 3 speed in my old XF would outshine my current ZF (note that I've had my ZF replaced under warranty because the original one died)

I would never buy another Falcon with anything less than a ZF, but then if I owned a BTR, I wouldn't go out of my way to upgrade by swapping boxes. I'd just make sure the next car I bought would have a ZF in it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]