Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Caliper Overhaul/Exchange
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Hey guys,

Just after some thoughts on preferred or recommended businesses for caliper overhauling/exchange that you know of in Sydney? There are many threads I've read up on, one is particular is this -

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/squeaking-in-the-rotors-t92070.html?hilit=squeaking%20brakes

I've only had the Fairlane for just on 2 years and yep, the brake fluid will need changing (all rotors and pads are 12 months old), but if the squeaking continues then I think an overhaul of all 4 calipers is in order... Driving along and squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak... Bit embarrasing.... :lol:

Post subject: Re: Caliper Overhaul/Exchange
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Repco does exchange units.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
Repco does exchange units.

Noted cjh. Quite pricey though, looking at about $700 for the 4 to replace that way. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been in contact with a fella from Sydney Clutch & Brake Exchange in Waterloo (http://www.scbe.com.au)

He's quoted me $352 to refit my 4 calipers...

Thoughts? Has anyone used SCBE before?

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA Falcon S 30th Anniversary

QLD, Australia

You ever done this yourself? There is very little easier than overhauling calipers. Buy the kits with new pistons and off you go - the hardest part is pushing the old piston out if you don't have an air compressor. I just did the fronts on my EA about 10 minutes each side (not counting painting). Bought the kits off eBay.

For the rear calipers one of mine had been bashed with a hammer and the piston was rusted in solid. Threw them away and bought a new overhauled set off ebay for $229. All local shops said $100 up to $150 each depending on what mine needed. I took the $229 known fixed price and included pads!!! and had the car running two days later.

By the way, I also bought the speedbrake hoses now available on eBay for circa $160. Great upgrade.

1991 EA2 Ford Falcon S Sedan
LeMans Red - 30th Anniversary 3.9 MPFI Manual LSD

1996 XH Ford Falcon Outback Ute
LeMans Red 4.0 Auto

Originality saves our history.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

FAIRV8 wrote:
Hey guys,

Just after some thoughts on preferred or recommended businesses for caliper overhauling/exchange that you know of in Sydney? There are many threads I've read up on, one is particular is this -

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/squeaking-in-the-rotors-t92070.html?hilit=squeaking%20brakes

I've only had the Fairlane for just on 2 years and yep, the brake fluid will need changing (all rotors and pads are 12 months old), but if the squeaking continues then I think an overhaul of all 4 calipers is in order... Driving along and squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak... Bit embarrasing.... :lol:

Have ya done them yet????

To do them properly, it is advised that they be beadblasted, where the seals go especially, but all over makes a nice surface for paint to stick to.

Attachments:
IMGP0329.JPG
IMGP0329.JPG [ 240.02 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]
IMGP0283.JPG
IMGP0283.JPG [ 326.97 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]
IMGP0277.JPG
IMGP0277.JPG [ 289.93 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]
IMGP0275.JPG
IMGP0275.JPG [ 323.97 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
FAIRV8 wrote:
Hey guys,

Squeaking there sounds like a warped rotor and crappy brake pads.

Nice job on those calipers cjh :)
uniacidz - Pads are bendix standard. have tried cleaning them up and roughing them up a bit. the rotors are a few years old and have been machined once. the rear rotors are only 14 months old and i had those fitted when i had the diff repaired...
i do believe the calipers have never ever been overhauled, considering the vehicle has done 223000kms... i've bought 4 bottles of new brake fluid and some crimpers.
i'm going to pull them off in the coming weeks... i have been quoted by Sydney Clutch and Brake Exchange Pty. Ltd. in Waterloo to rekit all 4 calipers etc for $352

and yeah i've seen some calipers get beadblasted. im hoping the above quote includes this.

Aussie Pete - Not calipers, no. happy to change out rotors and wheel bearings/brake pads etc but not so keen on doing the calipers lol

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

FAIRV8 wrote:
Aussie Pete - Not calipers, no. happy to change out rotors and wheel bearings/brake pads etc but not so keen on doing the calipers lol
[/quote][/quote]
Well, I am here to tell you that you're doing harder stuff than pulling the calipers apart and putting them together. The rears are a bit more complicated due to the handbrake but fronts are easy-as.

LeMans Red 4.0 Auto

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Aussie Pete wrote:
FAIRV8 wrote:
[/quote]
Well, I am here to tell you that you're doing harder stuff than pulling the calipers apart and putting them together. The rears are a bit more complicated due to the handbrake but fronts are easy-as.[/quote]

Cheers for the heads up Aussie Pete. I shall read up about the rears before jumping into it.
I've borrowed a copy of the Ford factory repair manual for EF-NF models and its quite a good read. It may have a section in it about the rear...
The manual has definitely helped in regards to the TFI module and removing the distributor. The engine has had the awful stutter on acceleration for a while, though its improved with changing the leads, plugs and coil (the coil was stuffed when i tested it) but i do believe now its come down to the TFI module which are apparently prone to failing... Let you know...

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

FAIRV8 wrote:
The manual has definitely helped in regards to the TFI module and removing the distributor. The engine has had the awful stutter on acceleration for a while, though its improved with changing the leads, plugs and coil (the coil was stuffed when i tested it) but i do believe now its come down to the TFI module which are apparently prone to failing... Let you know...

I might be wrong here but my experience with the TFI is it is a GO-NOGO item. It either works or it doesn't, nothing in between. I'm really rusty on the V8s so can't think of any reason right now.

LeMans Red 4.0 Auto

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]