Camber Kits? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Camber Kits?
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 1996 EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

What are they? What will they do for me? How much are they?
Been told to get this for my car and it will be like it is on rails, sounds good but i need to know what it does and how much?
Anyone done it to thier car, worth it?

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers, dyl.

1996 EF Fairmont Ghia
- 2.5'' mandrel bent exhaust
- Au xr8 air intake snorkel
- Tinted windows
- Two way electric sunroof

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

usually needed after the car has been lowered, as it throws the camber of the car out - the kit adjusts the camber to allow correct alignment etc, so the tyres don't scrub out & the car handles better!

my kit consisted of shims which were added to each side - i got them trade price & had a mate put them in, but i think the cheaper ones go for around the $250-ish mark :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Theres one on ebay at the moment for starting price of $40. They retail for around $280 new. Definately put them on if your car has been lowered as it corrects the camber and castor adjustments to make the tyres sit flat on the road. Get a rachet type rather than the shims, a lot better to adjust. Once you put them on though you will need another wheel alignment to get them right.

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

does it matter on how low you go?

liek stock suspension to just lows require them? or moreso stock to super lows?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA Falcon Hybrid

VIC, Australia

Quote:
does it matter on how low you go?

liek stock suspension to just lows require them? or moreso stock to super lows?

it will kick the camber out when ever you lower the car, doesnt really matter how much you lower it
its a good idea to get it to correct the camber unless you like replacing front tyres regularly

<<<DAN's CARS>>>
* 88 EA Falcon X2
* 81 FJ40
* 73 KE26 X2
* 73 KE20 x2
* 69 KE10 X2
and more

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I put them on my car and I've got the standard tickford suspension which is equivalent to lows as the camber and castor were out. I knew this from figures of a wheel alignment.
I'm not sure how low you can go until the camber kit can't compensate for the angle of the wheel due to ride height, but my guess is that they would correct the camber beyond legal ride height. With the tickford suspension it looks like the camber kit is on set to about half of its potential for correcting.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I have a 96 ef fairmont ghia, tickford suspension, so is it not worth getting lows for my car? Can i put a camber kit on my car now and will it make a difference?

1996 EF Fairmont Ghia
- Tinted windows

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No point in getting lows as tickford suspension is pretty much the same height - but if you put a camber kit on and get a wheel alignment, your tyres will be flat on the road and will wear evenly. Its definately not essential if your tyre wear is even anyway as tickford suspension has shims in it from factory. If your going to go for superlows, i recommend a camber kit so you can adjust it to prevent tyre wear.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks offyaguts might just leave it as is cause insurance wont be liking superlows to much i dont think. she rides pretty tight exept with bald tyres, might buy a shift kit insted. :lol:

1996 EF Fairmont Ghia
- Tinted windows

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No problems......shift kit, why don't you go a cam upgrade instead :wink: Wade have got a new one (the 1604 or something like that) and they offer changeover on your original one, and since you have the tickford ecu in the fairmont ghia, it should be able to cope with the change and idle properly

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA Falcon Hybrid

VIC, Australia

Dly you should just go to a tyre place and see what they recomend to get the car that bit lower, surly there will be a set of springs out there that will drop the car enough and keep the insurance people happy at the same time. Or you could just give me the 16s and get some 17s or 18 for your car

and nick still wants a ride in your car

<<<DAN's CARS>>>
* 88 EA Falcon X2
* 81 FJ40
* 73 KE26 X2
* 73 KE20 x2
* 69 KE10 X2
and more

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

Hi I'll give my 2 cents worth.
The first golden rule of camber is 'negative to grip, positive to tip' :lol:
There are 3 main specs for front ends, 1.Caster 2.Camber. 3Toe In/Out.
Your caster angle should be around 3.5° it's what makes your car steer back into a straight line and shouldn't really change when you lower.
But when you lower you change the geometery between the upper and lower suspension arms thereby increasing your negative camber. A camber kit spaces out the upper susp arm to decrease the camber back to stock but stock camber is -.25° and on a tickford susp its -1.25°.
So the main trade off is more negative camber will give you better grip into corners make your car look like a V8 Supercar from the front but as most of us drive in a straight line most of the time you'll end up wearing out the insides of your rubber. Between the -1° to -1.5° seems to be a good trade off if your not racing the thing.
I didn't go with the really low option but when I got my susp kit they said I should get a camber kit but after getting a front end alignment the computer readout said that my camber was -1.2° which was pretty well on right where I wanted it so I didn't have to worry about a kit
The Toe In/Out is adjusted during an alignment and you'll need to get that done if you lower it anyway.
IMHO lower it, get an alignment done somewhere they give you a written report (I get mine at Bob Jane) and see hove much the camber is altered.

I hope this helps in some small way. :roll:

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Aparently every car is different too. -Gotta love Ford manufactuing tolerances!

When I lowered my GLi to whileline specs. The guys at wheels world measured my alignment before and after. And said that I wouldn't need a camber kit. I found that with the way I drive (fast!) I get even tyre wear on the front. So I am inclined to believe them.

So really the best way is to go to a good (read not just trying to get your money) suspension place and get them to measure your alignment. They will tell you then weather they think you need one from a performance point of view. Other than that if you are noticing abnormal wear on the inside or outside of the tyre you may need a camber kit.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

The one thing you should remember is that a camber kit will not make the car handle better. No matter how you say it, it just doesnt. All it is there to do is get the wheel alignment back to where it should be. The bolts on the camber kit are longer than standard, and thats it. What that means is less camber if you get what i mean. Camber will not make your car handle like it on rails, thats where caster comes in, and a change in caster will make the car handle. The only reason you would buy a camber kit would be if you needed to because you had too much camber in the front, and was out of adjustment, or bolt length.
If you are wanting to get a handling difference, get some Whiteline caster bars and see how much better the car is. There is another way with the lower control arms too, but I dont know how legal it is in road use.
Have a look at my suspension in the post Brembos on EL and see how I have done mine.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

hey guys. i just yesterday got pedders to fit a camber kit in my car as after i got it lowered it was chewing my tyres and pulling to the left bad!! i got the shims type as they told me the ratchet adjustables may get out of line if i guttered it or hit a ditch in the road. cost me $250 installed and im happy with them problems fixed. Now where is this chamber kit where do i see it :) what does it look like and what is it attached too just out of curiosty does any1 have a pic so i can understand how it works 100% i know it aligns the way the tyres sit on the road but thats about it. thanks

AU II XR6 Hp 5 Speed.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next