Fordmods Logo

Can someone explain castor? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

negative camber is better than positive camber yeh?

when i lowered my car i think i started with positive camber, and ended up with 1-2 degrees of neg camber.. no kit. so im happy

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XC V8

SA, Australia

my EB's droped and i have no problem with it but i think its the way i drive some times i only get a week out of stock tyre's but with my 235's i only got 20,000 out of them

1976 XC falcon
182 Clio Sport

Post subject: Re: Can someone explain castor?
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

EFXRWGN wrote:
Hi guys just had front wheel alignment done alls well but the guys at Bob Jane said that they could only adjust my castor to max and got these readings.

Left +3*18'
Right +3*28'

He said that my Left wheel sat a fraction behind my right wheel and that they adjusted it as much as it would go and that it wouldnt be a problem
but the car would sill pull a bit to one side. He said the solution is a castor Kit. What is it and is it easy to do? I just did my stub axles and that was a piece of piss. And I assume I will require another wheel alignment after this.

whats the actaul issue?? does the car pull??
if not castor is a non wearing angle so if its not pulling dont worry about it

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Post subject: Re: Can someone explain castor?
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Wagon

WA, Australia

black ed xr8 wrote:
EFXRWGN wrote:
Hi guys just had front wheel alignment done alls well but the guys at Bob Jane said that they could only adjust my castor to max and got these readings.

Left +3*18'
Right +3*28'

He said that my Left wheel sat a fraction behind my right wheel and that they adjusted it as much as it would go and that it wouldnt be a problem
but the car would sill pull a bit to one side. He said the solution is a castor Kit. What is it and is it easy to do? I just did my stub axles and that was a piece of piss. And I assume I will require another wheel alignment after this.

whats the actaul issue?? does the car pull??

if not castor is a non wearing angle so if its not pulling dont worry about it

The only Pullin I have noticed is when the missus isnt puttin out!!

ImageImage
EF XR6 Wagon,RPD R6 cam,Wildcat extractors, Magnaflow cat,2.5" Lukey exhhaust.
Too many more too list

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon FGX XR8

NSW, Australia

i am soon to lower my EL Futura on superlows, how do i tell if i need a caster/camber kit, and if i do where should i get one from.

EL Falcon XR6, 2.5in exhaust, extractors, ported throttle body, sequential intake, CMS stage 2 head. Tickford cam!!!!!
"158 RWKW"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQSNeJmXsk (video of my XR6 on the Dyno)

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

when i bought my 95A the tyres where worn from inside out,ihad a wheel alinement check,caster was - 3.5deg both sides,great for high speed cornering,bad for tyre wear,i fitted a nolathan caster -camber kit.i ran out of adjustment at -1deg,rang manufacturer and spoke to owner who stated- -1deg is fine,good cornering-will wear l\h side tyre more on roundabouts in city driving,but great on open road. i get 30-40,000ks out of 235s.the tickfords are dropped and no compensation added,but for race set up your there! ps-i have no problem with handling at high speed.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

when i bought my 95A the tyres where worn from inside out,ihad a wheel alinement check,caster was - 3.5deg both sides,great for high speed cornering,bad for tyre wear,i fitted a nolathan caster -camber kit.i ran out of adjustment at -1deg,rang manufacturer and spoke to owner who stated- -1deg is fine,good cornering-will wear l\h side tyre more on roundabouts in city driving,but great on open road. i get 30-40,000ks out of 235s.the tickfords are dropped and no compensation added,but for race set up your there! ps-i have no problem with handling at high speed.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

Ive dumped my fairy on superlows and still on the stock shockers (which are now rooted :() but after
I had my wheels aligned nobody mentioned anything to me about needing a camber or caster kit and things seem pretty peachy atm...
Except ofcourse for the car bouncing like its on bags going over big bumps :(

The 18's I have on there are wearing from the outside in, nothing a rotation wont fix and ive had them for 7 months now, still about 70% tread left if I rotate...

So you may not need a castor kit with superlows, my car seems to be running fine without :)

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hi,when you stand in the front of the car look down the side is the front wheel verticle or angled in or out? when lowered they usally fall in to the motor,a caster-camber kit goes on upper arm, 2 brackets each side,and are shim plated to push wheel out and forward or backwards at the same time,very similar to holdens hQ-hzs.the factory setting ideal is-1/2deg in a perfect set up ,but wear and tear and all you can do is the best with what you have.next time you have wheel alinment ask for a print out of the settings.i fitted the brackets at home and put what i thought the shims would be,we had to tripple it,the left hand side has 20-22mm and ran out of threads, the setting was -1deg close-had to leave it,same other side.this will wear tyres on the inside and have to rotate before to much wear,have to leave it or make custom set. :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hi,when you stand in the front of the car look down the side is the front wheel verticle or angled in or out? when lowered they usally fall in to the motor,a caster-camber kit goes on upper arm, 2 brackets each side,and are shim plated to push wheel out and forward or backwards at the same time,very similar to holdens hQ-hzs.the factory setting ideal is-1/2deg in a perfect set up ,but wear and tear and all you can do is the best with what you have.next time you have wheel alinment ask for a print out of the settings.i fitted the brackets at home and put what i thought the shims would be,we had to tripple it,the left hand side has 20-22mm and ran out of threads, the setting was -1deg close-had to leave it,same other side.this will wear tyres on the inside and have to rotate before to much wear,have to leave it or make custom set. :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2