Fordmods Logo

Cause of a vibration in my 5 litre? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Cause of a vibration in my 5 litre?
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi all,

i have just bought an NC fairlane 5.0 in really good nick. I have been fixing a few things up for a road worthy and it is almost done.

I have two small problems though both relating to a vibration.

the first is in the steering. when you move forward in a straight line there is no problem but when you turn the wheel past about 20 degrees either side from neutral there is a noise similar to that when you dry steer. also the steering wheel catches slightly. as in it will move then catch then move again then catch. seems to steer ok although i havnt really drivin it... thoughts??

the second is a driveline noise... the engine seems really good and revs cleanly in neutral but when its in drive and you rev it a bit (only 1500rpm ish as its in my drive way and barely moving) there is a sligth vibration. no noises its just not completely smooth. thoughts??? uni joints? auto?

thanks all
Jason

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

if your not moving then the uni's aint turning, maybe harmonic balancer or engine mounts for the vibration?

Post subject: Re: Cause of a vibration in my 5 litre?
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
Hi all,

i have just bought an NC fairlane 5.0 in really good nick. I have been fixing a few things up for a road worthy and it is almost done.

I have two small problems though both relating to a vibration.

the first is in the steering. when you move forward in a straight line there is no problem but when you turn the wheel past about 20 degrees either side from neutral there is a noise similar to that when you dry steer. also the steering wheel catches slightly. as in it will move then catch then move again then catch. seems to steer ok although i havnt really drivin it... thoughts??

the second is a driveline noise... the engine seems really good and revs cleanly in neutral but when its in drive and you rev it a bit (only 1500rpm ish as its in my drive way and barely moving) there is a sligth vibration. no noises its just not completely smooth. thoughts??? uni joints? auto?

thanks all
Jason

The steering problem......if the P/S fluid is dark, change it, and use Ford P# R1-424 power steer fluid. Second, the bearing in the bottom of the steering column sounds like it might be stuffed.
Check the spark plugs & leads & cap, and check the harmonic balancer, they may be the source of the vibes.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Have you had extractors installed recently? You might find that the the bell that covers the joint on the steering shaft hits the extractors when you're turning under acceleration. Might just have to remove it.

The 1500rpm vibration definitely sounds like harmonic balancer. Mine did it at the same rev range. The rubber starts slipping out of the balancer. New aftermarket one around $300.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

the power steering fluid is dark and i have been draining and replacing the reseviour to slowly flush it out. no extractors as yet. the vibration dosnt occur when the car is in park or neutral, only when its in gear. does this disclude the harmonic balancer?

cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
the power steering fluid is dark and i have been draining and replacing the reseviour to slowly flush it out. no extractors as yet. the vibration dosnt occur when the car is in park or neutral, only when its in gear. does this disclude the harmonic balancer?

cheers

So, you mean under load??? maybe tune up time??

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

sorry should have made it clearer. in neutral or park the car revs cleanly and smootly. when in drive even at lower rpm the vibration develops even at rpm as low as 1500.

the steering vibration, thats not likely to be the power steer pump

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
sorry should have made it clearer. in neutral or park the car revs cleanly and smootly. when in drive even at lower rpm the vibration develops even at rpm as low as 1500.

the steering vibration, thats not likely to be the power steer pump

The V8's had the crappy/noisy Ford C2 pump, same as used on the Explorer's, has a plastic resivoir. The oil in them turned black pretty quick too.
Jack the front of the car up, and see how evenly the steering column feels when turning from lock to lock. It should feel smooth, but if it feels notchy, the bearing at the bottom of the steering shaft is buggered.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

what is involved in changing that bearing? its not likely that its the pump? cheers guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]