Fordmods Logo

Changing brakes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Changing brakes
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Time for some new front discs and pads for the EL. Going to change discs, pads, and front wheel bearings. Ive done it once before, but soooo long ago, I cant remember the correct procedure lol. Im fine removing everything, packing the bearing with grease etc, but when re-fitting the new pads, will I need to bleed the brakes? I know I can push the calipers back using a clamp and the old pads, but to do this, do I remove the brake booster cover to allow the fluid to move without compressing it (hope that makes sense). Should they align them selves with the new discs themselves? Any help appreciated. (non abs by the way)

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

besically yes, remove the cap and suck about ½ the fluid out. Then push one piston back in, fit the new pads and put it together.
Most important thing is to only do one side at a time, otherwise what happens is your pushing one piston will simply push the piston out of the other caliper.

another reccomended way is to crack the bleed nipple as u push the piston back and this will expel some fluid thru the bleeder, but u run the risk of getting air in the system so if your unsure id go the first method.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:52 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Cheers for that.

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]