Fordmods Logo

choosing shocks 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

No he hasnt been to salesman school,his mind got blown after fitting a set of my shock absorbers.

Do you really think it handles ?

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

so with these rebuilt shocks, are they able to be shortened or stock length only? What exactly is done/replaced/rebuilt inside?

Cheers

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Stock lenght only.
We modify the insides.

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghiaaaaa!

VIC, Australia

I've got Boges and are more than happy. Good price too :)

Whiteline'd

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Sorry boys, I've been offline for a while, but yes my shocks were rebuilt by 'shock modifier'

No i haven't done any sales, but experience in many cars, especially my own have taught me alot over the years.

When I put the shocks in, despite everything i was told about how good they would be, I still had my doubts.

Now I would be willing to take on any AWD cars at the AHG driving centre, or at barbagello. My mate got out of his WRX and into my Ba and was amazed at how refined the car is and especially how predictable the car has become.

He is planning to get coilovers for adjustabiulity, but is considering scrapping the massive cost and getting a consistent good quality setup that can compete with mine.

Stock shocks just wont compare to custom shocks.
I know this may offend some people with pricey good name shocks, but we all know the truth hurts, so deal with it.
I'll take you for a drive and you'll understand!

Jason, I've been meaning to come round and show you the finished product, but have been moving house, I'll come round this week and show you the massive difference sometime this week if you're available, i'll call you soon!

Cheers boys

Happy Motoring

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

shock modifier wrote:
Stock lenght only.
We modify the insides.

Hi Shock Modifier. Can you tell me in detail what you do? I used to modify a wide variety of shocks in a professional setting. It seems some people are interested in whether you're legit.

Regarding shorter shocks, if the car is lowered no more than say 2" and the coils don't become loose at full droop, shorter shocks are not specifically required.

If shorter shocks are fitted and allow the suspension to compress more;
- make sure the coils do not go solid before the bump stop is at least two-thirds compressed (non-tapered progressive rate coils are more likely to go solid).
- be aware the car is more likely to hit/scrape on the ground.
- make sure the wheels don't damage the wheel wells at full compression (this can be done in the workshop without the coils and bump stops fitted, or by disconnecting the anti-roll bar and driving up ramps).
- make sure other suspension components, i.e. A-arms, control arms, steering rods, etc, and the driveshaft do not bind or foul at full compression (this can be done in the workshop without the coils and bump stops fitted).
- do not trust aftermarket manufacturers or suppliers to perform these checks.

Droop is very important. Even when lowered the car will handle and ride better in some circumstances with normal length shocks fitted.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

Regarding shorter shocks, if the car is lowered no more than say 2" and the coils don't become loose at full droop, shorter shocks are not specifically required.

i dont think youll find many lowered springs that have tension at full droop

ive only got 30mm low Dobinsons springs and at full droop the rear springs are half off the seat

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
i dont think youll find many lowered springs that have tension at full droop

ive only got 30mm low Dobinsons springs and at full droop the rear springs are half off the seat

Depending on what Shock Modifier does, he may be able to limit the travel of the original shocks. Otherwise limiting straps/cables could be used.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:51 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

The travel isn't necessarily limited, but the strength of opposing force is extreme (in a comfortable way). I doubt I've ever had the shocks compress more than 75%

I drive like a maniac, and have never had any problems over bumps, or speed humps.

I don't know the finer workings, but i invite anyone in perth to sample the glory!

Someone organise a AHG or barbagello day and the times/ cornering will speak for themselves - even with my s**t bald tyres.

happy motoring

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy
Fordmods Stock as a Rock

View User Gallery (5)

falcon ute
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shock modifier wrote:
Stock lenght only.
We modify the insides.

Hi Shock Modifier. Can you tell me in detail what you do? I used to modify a wide variety of shocks in a professional setting. It seems some people are interested in whether you're legit.

For starters i cant tell you what i do other that modify the insides and as far as my professionalism goes i am a qualified mechanic with 15 years experience and have been taught by a suspension expert with over 40 years experience.If anyone is wondering if i am legit we can have a chat and they can hold my shock and see if they can compress it or pull it apart and wonder at the same time how it gives a smooth ride.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2