Post subject: Re: Clutch cable route?
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
What is that book called, and where can I flog one from?

Genuine Ford EF/EL workshop manuel (part number WM39) picked it up on ebay for $100 :)

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Marvellous! You guys deserve an elephant stamp.

I also have something that looks like Part 7. Does that attach to the block, K-frame or bellhousing? The bend before the bellhousing looks sharp too.

Attachments:
ccable 001.jpg
ccable 001.jpg [ 57.85 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]
File comment: Hope the cable doesn't get fried
ccable 002.jpg
ccable 002.jpg [ 144.93 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:54 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
Anyways - Sounds like EF / EL cables are a little longer
EB/ED cables are actually 4-5" longer than the EF/EL cables.
sexyr6 wrote:
Genuine Ford EF/EL workshop manuel (part number WM39) picked it up on ebay for $100 :)
Yep, all 3 volumes are very comprehensive.
Shortshift wrote:
I also have something that looks like Part 7. Does that attach to the block, K-frame or bellhousing? The bend before the bellhousing looks sharp too.
No, part 7 fits on the grommet you'll notice on the cable, and this mounts to the steering rack halfway along with a screw.
That bracket you showed earlier bolts to the bellhousing bolt you see above the dustcover in the pic (As Cjh has explained). The cable sits in it so it enters the bellhousing straight - so yes, that bend is too sharp.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

BUGGER ME... I should have bought ED cables then... I had it on good authority that the EF ones were longer.
:!: BENJ :!:

I'd also like to point out that my cable is actually cable tied so that the path to the bellhousing is pretty spot on.... Spare parts bin or not, I may just stick it on at some point. It was late in the day on the original install and all that!

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info snap. The wreckers, I bought the manual conversion from, just handed me a box of parts with the gearbox & alloy tailshaft (which was the wrong length). :roll:

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yep NP.
That's what generally happens, you get a box of crap, and have to sort it all out and figure out where it all goes.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
Marvellous! You guys deserve an elephant stamp.

See where the cable goes near the extractors, it will get fried. I put the cable through in front of the engine mount, then under the sump and back up to the bellhousing.
Too many sharp bends when put near the rack.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

CJH - I tried the cable in front of the engine mount but it ended up making an additional bend. I fitted the first bracket as you mentioned and ran the cable in front of the steering rack. There's nowhere to screw the other clip on the steering rack (its an EA), so I didn't worry about it.

One other thing I'm stuck with. If I fit the spring to clutch pedal, where's the other end supposed to go? I tried using it to pull the clutch pedal away from the floor, but then the clutch pedal sticks out past the brake pedal by a few inches. Seems like there needs to be an adjustable stop attached to the pedal box if I do it that way. :?

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The spring is designed to put tension on the pedal to the floor, so this puts slight tension on the cable too - the throwout bearing in these models keeps light contact with the pressure plate.
There should be an anchor point on the floor for the spring, adjacent to where it mounts to the pedal.

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The spring is designed to put tension on the pedal to the floor, so this puts slight tension on the cable too

Well that makes sense now. I gather it's because the cable adjusting nut needs to be forced against the firewall, and the end of the cable needs to be in tension as well.

I couldn't find an anchor point on the floor, so I'll use a bit of MS angle and screw it to the anodised plate on the floor (that the steering column goes through).

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

there will be something there. On my EF its a short flat strip of steel welded to the floor/firewall with a raised loop to hook the spring onto

you might have to peel away some carpet to find it

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Bursons and Autopro still sell EB/ED & EF/EL cables from Flexible drive agencies.
http://www.fdrive.com.au/products/02/searchcables.php

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The spring is designed to put tension on the pedal to the floor, so this puts slight tension on the cable too - the throwout bearing in these models keeps light contact with the pressure plate.
There should be an anchor point on the floor for the spring, adjacent to where it mounts to the pedal.

Is the AU the same? Could explain why i have a rattle from the throw out bearing he the spring isn't there

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

mine had a rattle too in neutral idling with clutch out, and had the spring on there & new bearings

noise would go away if you put slight pressure on the pedal, which led me to think a stronger spring mightve helped

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
mine had a rattle too in neutral idling with clutch out, and had the spring on there & new bearings

noise would go away if you put slight pressure on the pedal, which led me to think a stronger spring mightve helped

That rattle could be the precurser to a failed/warped diaphram spring fingers. :|

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next