Clutch cable route? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Clutch cable route?
Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Can someone provide a photo (or photos) of where the clutch cable is supposed to go for E-Series I6s with BBMs please? I'm finishing a manual conversion & EF motor install at the moment. There's nothing in my 2 repair manuals, I can't find anything with internet searches and don't know anyone with a manual E-series. I thought it would go over the top of the rocker cover and between the BBM intake runners, but then some photos I've seen show it disappearing under the exhaust manifold somewhere.

I also have an L shaped bracket which holds the clutch cable in place somewhere (off an ED XR6). The wreckers didn't say where it goes unfortunately. Not sure if I throw it away, or try to adapt it.

Thanks

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Post subject: Re: Clutch cable route?
Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Clutch cable on mine heads forward a little towards shock tower, ducks under extractors, through the steering rack (well, not THROUGH steering rack completely, but between a couple of pipes / connectors) and comes up just behind K frame to the bellhousing....

If it works, it works... I've only done two, but from what I can make out anyone with an ounce of common sense shouldn't cause the cable to melt, snap or get pinched..........

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yep, between the two hoes/connections on the power steering rack is a good place to route the cable

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I don't run them near the rack....too many sharp angles, I run them under the engine sump just in front of the crossmember and bring it up to the cable support bracket. It's a way smoother path, looks odd, but feels better, and the cables last longer.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info chaps. I'll try both setups and see how it looks. I've read about cables causing the firewall to crack when they don't move freely. Any ideas where the bracket goes?

Attachments:
bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg [ 46.73 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

That bracket goes in the spare parts bin. :oops:

CJH - Is that an EF or EL you're running the cable under the sump and up in front of the cross member??? Initially I tried that with mine, but the clearances there were just not that fantastic... How mine goes around the extractors and all that seems like the best, did your cable come with a couple of sliding plastic sleeves that you can position anywhere on the cable and cable tie to something nearby?

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I you don't want to put the bracket in spare parts bin, you could try seeing if it fits anywhere on the bellhousing to keep the cable out the front.... :D

Mine went in the spare parts bin.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

OK, thanks fiend. This is the first clutch cable I've had to run under the sump. All the other manual RWD cars I've owned had clutch cables over the rocker cover.

Cheers

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
Thanks for the info chaps. I'll try both setups and see how it looks. I've read about cables causing the firewall to crack when they don't move freely. Any ideas where the bracket goes?

That is the support for the clutch cable. It bolts to the bellhousing. You cannot get them from Ford anymore ( ONR ).
The firewall can crack from an incorrectly adjusted clutch cable ( the usual cause ).

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

fiend wrote:
That bracket goes in the spare parts bin. :oops:

CJH - Is that an EF or EL you're running the cable under the sump and up in front of the cross member??? Initially I tried that with mine, but the clearances there were just not that fantastic... How mine goes around the extractors and all that seems like the best, did your cable come with a couple of sliding plastic sleeves that you can position anywhere on the cable and cable tie to something nearby?

I have done it to EA to EL.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hmmm - Honestly, I was following the same route to your advice as I was under the car looking at it from bellhousing point of view, but... Someone suggested this other way, and it worked out just as good really. No way it's going to kink, sharp bends, nothing...

Plus, it doesn't go anywhere near the bottom of the sump or K-frame (both of which have been smashed into new shapes by landing on them hard.....)

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

fiend wrote:
Hmmm - Honestly, I was following the same route to your advice as I was under the car looking at it from bellhousing point of view, but... Someone suggested this other way, and it worked out just as good really. No way it's going to kink, sharp bends, nothing...

Plus, it doesn't go anywhere near the bottom of the sump or K-frame (both of which have been smashed into new shapes by landing on them hard.....)

Its not under the sump, but at the back of the lower part of the sump, under that bit. Again, no kinks, or sharp bends.
You should see how Ford did it with the XG utes, it was put through the guts of the engine crossmember, talk about ugly, kinks & sharp bends....it was total crap.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah, I can guess at what you mean there!

The best route for a cable I have seen is a 3 metre long special that goes to the radiator, around front of engine bay in a big open arc and straight down beside block to the bellhousing. Now that looked the business alright. He had also moved the penetration through the firewall up and made a little straighter and... Well... It looked pretty damn good. Two big straights joined by one big sweeping corner with a foot attached to one end and a throwout bearing attached to the other....

Anyways - Sounds like EF / EL cables are a little longer, so just remember to buy those ones and have a decent choice of routes. Anyone with an ounce of common sense should be able to work out a decent enough way to get from A to B....

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

here ya go.. (EF/EL)

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

You know what? Out of all of those bits I only used a (2) CLUTCH CABLE?

Everything else has been fabricated by myself out of hunks of plate steel, etc etc etc?! Even the connection between the pedal and the cable is completely different. :|

Also, not too sure how the original route would work with the particular extractors involved?...

Well, that is that. Done and dusted. What is that book called, and where can I flog one from?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next