Clutch cable 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Clutch cable
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH ute

QLD, Australia

Hi there,
Just did my clutch last weekend, all back in running sweet. I have a new clutch cable here to go in, I had a look at that business under the dash and decided some other poor sucker can do that for me. The reason I am posting today is because the pedal doesn't feel all that heavy and the cable seems to be in good condition BUT it has started creaking since I put it in. Now this may well be the new pressure plate, but its not a very nice grinding sound so I'm just chasing up what it might be. Its raining still so I haven't gotten under there with some dry lube yet, so was hoping this was common? Anyone else experience this? Did I do something wrong?

Post subject: Re: Clutch cable
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hopefully the noise is not the firewall flexing before cracking. If the clutch cable seizes up or frays, the pedal box and/or firewall start to flex. Have you ever lubed the cable? There's quite a few threads on here about firewall repairs. 'Search' is your friend. :D

The clutch cable is easy to remove from the clevis (the slotted fitting at the top of the clutch pedal) once it's disconnected at the gearbox. You need to fit the cable to the clevis first. Make sure you remember how it passes under the engine too.

Have you got a repair manual to refer to?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Yeah I'm all to aware of the firewall/pedal box problems and have been keeping my eye on them from day 1. The clutch isn't that heavy, kinda sounds like the creaking is coming from the bellhousing. Is it normal for the pressure plate to creak when its new?

I looked under the dash at the clevis retaining clip and thought f**k that I'll never get that back on (read - fat hands), I'll get the new cable put on and see how it goes...

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I doubt the noise is coming from the clutch itself. Then again, I could be wrong. Perhaps get someone to operate the clutch while you're looking under the car.

- Did you grease the input shaft and clutch release lever when the box was out?
- Did you replace the spigot bearing and throwout bearing (which is attached to the clutch release lever)?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thanks for trying to help me nut this out shortshift, I replaced the throwout and spigot bearing and greased the spigot, input shaft and inside the throwout where the the input goes through it. I got the missus to push it in and out while I was underneath this morning, sounds like its coming from the cable.. maybe. But I'm not sure. I'll get the new one put on. Could it be the pivot where the clutch release arm sits in the bellhousing? I dont think I greased this...

s**t I hope its not that. I don't think my aim with spray grease is that good...

Thanks again mate

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Yes, leaving the pivot point dry isn't good, it wears out the plate, fork and pivot bolt.

Attachments:
IMGP3547.JPG
IMGP3547.JPG [ 295.63 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]
IMGP3546.JPG
IMGP3546.JPG [ 312.65 KiB | Viewed 169 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Ohhhh s**t. What should I do without taking the box out lol.

Really long paint brush with grease on it?

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:25 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

nah wat it is is the same thing mine is doing. the clip/ retainer in the pedal that holds the clutch cable will be worn and the bush has worn out. get under the pedal box and unhook the clutch cable and have a look at the (best i can describe it) funny shaped metal clip thingo. if your unsure lay everything out and take a photo and ill tell you what one it is.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Nar its defs coming from underneath the car, I got abit of grease in there, its way less noisey, its only JUST audible inside the car with the door open leaning out trying to listen

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]