Clutch cable trick 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Clutch cable trick
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

As the title says, this is a way to get an extra 2 to 3mm of Clutch Cable travel....which equates to more than that Clutch Pedal travel.
It's puting a wide band heater hose clamp on the outer part of the plastic shell for the rubber insulator......it compresses quite a bit when the pedal is depressed, the hose clamp helps to stop the compressing so far.

Attachments:
IMGP1332.JPG
IMGP1332.JPG [ 317.59 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Post subject: Re: Clutch cable trick
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Great idea, ill be grabing a hose clamp on the way home today and doing this!

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Will give that a shot :).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Great idea!

- another thing worth doing especially for those with hard heavy duty clutches is to put a small clamp round the clip that attaches the cable to the pedal arm - ie. it's a sort of saddle clip with hole and slot that u slip the swaged ball on the end of the cable into and then the other end slips over the pedal arm pin and a retaining clip is put thru the pedal arm pin to retain it. There are bushes in that pedal arm pin end - were yellow on mine.

Anyhoo, what can happen is that the loading from that cable ball against the inside of the clip works to try and spread the slot - so the clip can end up breaking open and letting go the cable. A small clamp round the clip to counter that spreading might save you from "Bang! - no clutch" some day...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Interesting idea, going to have to give this a try.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Greenmachine wrote:
Great idea!

- another thing worth doing especially for those with hard heavy duty clutches is to put a small clamp round the clip that attaches the cable to the pedal arm - ie. it's a sort of saddle clip with hole and slot that u slip the swaged ball on the end of the cable into and then the other end slips over the pedal arm pin and a retaining clip is put thru the pedal arm pin to retain it. There are bushes in that pedal arm pin end - were yellow on mine.

Anyhoo, what can happen is that the loading from that cable ball against the inside of the clip works to try and spread the slot - so the clip can end up breaking open and letting go the cable. A small clamp round the clip to counter that spreading might save you from "Bang! - no clutch" some day...

When I had My EF I made replacement clip out of 20x12mm flat bar. Made it a little shorter to put the cable adjuster back in the middle of it's range. The other thing I did was remove the rubber damper from the end of the clutch fork and made it solid. With those simple changes it's was like a different car.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
Great idea!

When I had My EF I made replacement clip out of 20x12mm flat bar. Made it a little shorter to put the cable adjuster back in the middle of it's range. The other thing I did was remove the rubber damper from the end of the clutch fork and made it solid. With those simple changes it's was like a different car.

What is the purpose of the clutch fork dampener? I had one snap the roll pin and tear the metal piece strait out of the rubber bush...

Seems to me that, with reducing all this give, you could potentially take a fair wack of throw from the pedal making changes faster and more than likely give it a better feel.
Glad to have had this brought to my attention.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The Clutch Fork Damper is so you don't get vibes through the cable when the pedal is depressed.....remember the release bearing is always in contact with the fingers on the pressure plate.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]