Fordmods Logo

Clutch clunking felt through shifter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Clutch clunking felt through shifter
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Gday boys, first major spot of trouble after the manual conversion a while back. Car was going great before today but now the bastard has suddenly developed a horrible clunking that you can feel through the shifter when you release the clutch after changing gears or just popping the clutch in and out. I'm hoping adjusting the clutch cable will solve my problems otherwise I'm going to cry if I have to rip the whole thing apart again. The car is still drivable I just don't want to drive it at the moment because I'm probaly just going to hurt it some more. Any ideas what the problem could be so I'm not jumping in blindfolded? I'm thinking (hoping) it's just the throwout bearing and nothing internally wrong with the box otherwise I'm f**k!

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Did you use new components ? - TO bearing, etc. Also the TO bearing has a retainer that keeps it attached to the TO fork.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey mate, you're always the first to help out when I ask a question :), always much appreciated. New spigot bearing and flywheel bolts and such but no, I didn't replace the throwout bearing. I couldn't find anywhere that would sell one unless it was part of a clutch kit. I had two forks though, I put the one with the better bearing in the car. I didn't really check the retainer, by retainer do you mean the part that allows the bearing to travel sideways a bit?. I just put in the fork with the smoother and quieter bearing in. I adjusted the clutch today and the car drives a hell of alot better overall, the shifts are much smoother and easier but the problem is still there intermittently. The clutch musn't have been disengaging completely beforehand. It was still drivable but a little rough, I just attributed it to the fact that I used a second hand clutch. Don't want to see what's done to the clutch now though :S After driving it a bit more I've noticed the problem first starts when I downshift and if I release the clutch a little quickly, like it hasn't gone into gear properly, except then it'll continue throughout all gears. Not a grinding or a crunch or anything just like a knock felt through the gearstick. I find though that by the next morning when I go to work it's stopped and wont start again unless I do a bit of a rough downshift. Unfortunately my car is going through one of 'those' phases where a s**t completely different and unrelated things suddenly go wrong. Cars :roll:. Argh.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, with a clutch install it's always better to go new parts, machine flywheel, etc.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]