Fordmods Logo

Clutch "clunking" 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Clutch "clunking"
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hi looking for more opinions about a noise that developed shortly after my manual conversion and put it down to diff backlash or uni joints as a few others have experienced the same thing since converting.

But im beginning to think its something to do with the clutch/pressure plate.

The noises happen when you push the clutch in to change gears and also when you let it out theres a big 'clunk'.

Had the missus check under the car while the car was stationary and i let the clutch in & out almost stalling it and the noise was definitely coming from the gearbox.

What could it be? Should i get it checked out asap?

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

How securely was your spigot bearing put in when you did the conversion?
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

I would have said worn rear trailing arm bushes, but since you got someone under there and it's coming from the gearbox then I'm stumped. It could be uni joints or suspension related, it's very hard to pin point knocking sounds when an engine is running.

Perhaps take it to pedders for one of their free (obligation free) safety checks. I'm guessing they still do that.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

mine does this too, but it only does it when i let the clutch out and take off hard, not rev and drop hard but a low rev quick take off lol. (hope that makes sence). it had a new clutch in 2004 and is a factory 5 speed.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Paulmac wrote:
Paul

I have no idea, whats a spigot bearing? :lol:

And Damo i have taken it there and all seemed ok according to them. The noise is very hollow like the pressure plate clamping. Maybe some bolts loose somewhere?

How much labour would i get charged for someone to pull the box out and check it over ya reckon? I just put $75 oil in it to.......

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alfy wrote:
mine does this too, but it only does it when i let the clutch out and take off hard, not rev and drop hard but a low rev quick take off lol. (hope that makes sence). it had a new clutch in 2004 and is a factory 5 speed.

I second that, I got a nl fairlane t5, and also when i let the clutch out a lil to quickly, i hear all sorts of clunking, but i dun think its coming from the gearbox...well i hope not:S, even though it was said my bushes where new...could be something else

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Paulmac wrote:
Paul

I have no idea, whats a spigot bearing? :lol:

And Damo i have taken it there and all seemed ok according to them. The noise is very hollow like the pressure plate clamping. Maybe some bolts loose somewhere?

How much labour would i get charged for someone to pull the box out and check it over ya reckon? I just put $75 oil in it to.......

The spigot bearing sits in the centre of the flywheel and the input shaft from the gearbox fits into it. For a workshop to pull the gearbox out, check it and put it back in would be, at a guess, $300-500 (if mechanics charge about $70/hr), plus any parts required.

Before you take it anywhere else, check both ends of the clutch cable to see if it's sticking. This has been a problem with other vehicles besides Ford.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Post subject: omg!!
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

QLD, Australia

The same thing has started happening to me of late. it seems when i try and reverse up a hill it has huge clunks, like you can feel it. i was thinking it may be my diff. but my grandad says it could be the uni joints. i really have to get under there and try and tighten the bolts and see if that helps.

99 AU Fairlane Ghia V8 Black Leather, 19" ANZ 5+5's with 245/35 rubber
Full sound system. Extractors, Dual 2.25" exhaust.
Lowered on Tickford XR8 springs and shocks!!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

In the centre of your flywheel, ie. in the end of the crankshaft fits a circular bush, inside that sits a small but vital bearing, the spigot bearing aka the input shaft bearing. I removed one about an hour ago. If this bearing has failed [or was not fitted] the clunking you have will occur as the g/box input shaft thumps up and down because its unrestrained. There may be other causes of the noise, this is but one suggestion.
I can post pix later tonight if you need them, but most w/shop manuals have good illustrations in them.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]