Fordmods Logo

Clutch problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Clutch problem
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1992 falcon eb xr6

VIC, Australia

So I own a 93 eb and I've noticed when I snap 3rd or drop the clutch in first it dosnt engage the gears strait away like I'll literally pop the clutch at high revs and the only thing I will smell is clutch but third is worst if I try and snap 3rd it will rev up no tires spinning and then drop down in revs and in this time my foot was conpletly off the clutch hope this makes sence x

1992 falcon eb manual xr6 minor head work j3 chip tuned to a el xr6 manual ecu pushing 130rwkw

Post subject: Re: Clutch problem
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Is the clutch adjusted properly?

What is the condition of the bung in the firewall where the cable comes out?

When was the clutch last replaced? It may just be worn out.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Not sure on how to exactly adjust the clutch cable right I have fiddled with it snot sure if it's right and I think the bung is fine and the clutch was replaced about 1 year ago Maybe less I was told while going up a hill at about 60 it it in 3rd and put ya foot to the floor and if clutch is gone it will rev up but it dosnt do that

1992 falcon eb manual xr6 minor head work j3 chip tuned to a el xr6 manual ecu pushing 130rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

The clutch pedal should have around 140mm travel. So measure from the arm on the back of the pedal to the floor and it should be 140mm. The pedal should be slightly above the brake pedal.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

sounds like same problem i had a while back, i had clutch slip where the engine would rev up then engauge randomly or once i dropped the revs back down. Ended up changine the clutch, pressure plate, spigot bearing and flywheel machine as it had a few hot spots on it. Then on inspection of the pressure plate and clutch plate the forks on the pressure plate were all worn and it was cracked through in a few spots were there was some deep hot spots and the clutch plate was worn down to the rivets! hopefully this helps.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

How much did something like that cost

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

bullas-38 wrote:
sounds like same problem i had a while back, i had clutch slip where the engine would rev up then engauge randomly or once i dropped the revs back down. Ended up changine the clutch, pressure plate, spigot bearing and flywheel machine as it had a few hot spots on it. Then on inspection of the pressure plate and clutch plate the forks on the pressure plate were all worn and it was cracked through in a few spots were there was some deep hot spots and the clutch plate was worn down to the rivets! hopefully this helps.

did you install the clutch plate backwards? it can be done and it can cause problems later down the track when the clutch wears, the springs in the clutch are ment to protrude towards the back of the car but when the clutch is new it can be put in the other way(towrds inside of the flywheel, once the clutch wears over a long time it can start having the springs rubbing on the flywheel bolts lol, which can cause slipping.

my mate put the clutch in my car backwards 12 months ago and i found it just last weekend installed backwards, even though it had written on it which side goes where lol, thats what happens when you get help from someone who hasent done it before and i was in a rush and didnt check it first.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hmmm might be worth having a look thanks

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
bullas-38 wrote:

did you install the clutch plate backwards? it can be done and it can cause problems later down the track when the clutch wears, the springs in the clutch are ment to protrude towards the back of the car but when the clutch is new it can be put in the other way(towrds inside of the flywheel, once the clutch wears over a long time it can start having the springs rubbing on the flywheel bolts lol, which can cause slipping.

my mate put the clutch in my car backwards 12 months ago and i found it just last weekend installed backwards, even though it had written on it which side goes where lol, thats what happens when you get help from someone who hasent done it before and i was in a rush and didnt check it first.

yeah it says it on the plate which way they go in so its pretty hard to stuff up lol but stranger things have happened, mine wore out quicker due to driving style would be the best way to put it lol.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]