CLUTCH PROBLEMS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: CLUTCH PROBLEMS
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

Any one have this problem before? clutch slips at midrange rpm around 3000 wont slip off the mark only when you hold it flat then slips all the way to the limiter ! its a new HD clutch kit and the flywheel was machined by the same crew that supplied the kit,its a 240 kw kit so it should take 240 kw at the flyweel (of normal driving) the au only made 189.6 hp at the tyres (or 186.2 same week diff dyno) and around 700 lb.... it went 15.05 at 92.54 mph 2.286 60 ft with old clutch wich slipped off the mark but bit hard in the revs..... new clutch went 15.6 and was crap!took off heaps harder but slipped like crazy up stairs.... any ideas ? au is not even close to 240 killer wasps

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Post subject: Re: CLUTCH PROBLEMS
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

Autofast2 wrote:
Any one have this problem before? clutch slips at midrange rpm around 3000 wont slip off the mark only when you hold it flat then slips all the way to the limiter ! its a new HD clutch kit and the flywheel was machined by the same crew that supplied the kit,its a 240 kw kit so it should take 240 kw at the flyweel (of normal driving) the au only made 189.6 hp at the tyres (or 186.2 same week diff dyno) and around 700 lb.... it went 15.05 at 92.54 mph 2.286 60 ft with old clutch wich slipped off the mark but bit hard in the revs..... new clutch went 15.6 and was crap!took off heaps harder but slipped like crazy up stairs.... any ideas ? au is not even close to 240 killer wasps

That is deffinately different, sound like something is majorly wrong. DID YOU LET THE CLUTCH BED IN? if not you may have glazed the flywheel, but if you are reving it to the limmiter with it slipping i would be suprised if you have not glazed the hell out of it and have some nice hot spots to go with it. You will deffinately have to take it out and have a look at it. Does not sound good i would stop driving it if i was you.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:31 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I agree i took it out before test and tune and it looked like when we put it in.... i could feel it slipping on the street and thought it would look bad but it was ok...took it to willowbank and it took off hard and hit second turned the tires a little and then slipped all the way though till the limiter third same thing.... went back to the staging lanes and felt like a normal clutch again... slipped again so i took it home.... took it out on some back roads and it bakes the tyres in first turns them in second and you can feel its got more revs then push... i have just got a ceramic button clutch the guy who built the clutch said it is common thing on fords....i dont understand what he means i am not a clutch expert but i have worked on a few ba utes that have come in with stuffed clutches and had near perfect clutch plates.... whats going on there?

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Did AU's come with hydraulic clutches or clutch cable?

If it's running a cable, then your cable might be getting stuck, check for any kinks. It could also have stretched causing the clutch not to release properly.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:21 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

good advise..... changed it when we did clutch.... not genuine though ! ...maybe that could be the problem i will put old one back on and see what happens.....maybe re route the cable... i think all 6 au falcons where cable ?

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:48 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Autofast2 wrote:
good advise..... changed it when we did clutch.... not genuine though ! ...maybe that could be the problem i will put old one back on and see what happens.....maybe re route the cable... i think all 6 au falcons where cable ?

That I am unsure of.

Rerouting the clutch cable might be a good idea. Might also want to check your firewall and pedal box, to make they haven't bent or anything...if it happens at all in AUs

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yeah it happens mine was cracked when i got it..... fixed it for now pedel box is a little notchy though thought it was the cable but with the cable off it still did it.....should have got an AUTO

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The main problem is that people over adjust the cable, especially when the clutch is 75% worn out.
I have never had a problem with my EA, no cracked firewall,no broken pedal box, and it was fitted with an RPM clutch (PBR).

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:16 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yeah the clutch is adjusted correct...i know it wasn t when i got it thats what killed the original clutch when i bought it it had no clutch..... i adjusted it and it was good for a while...i wish i had of kept the original it slipped off the mark but would turn the tyres in the middle of second gear... now they have seen how i drive they tell me the clutch i got wont handle the abuse....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]