Fordmods Logo

Compressed Springs 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Compressed Springs
Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:46 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Alright, after reading a few threads, I couldn't find the info I was after. A couple of threads mentioned getting springs compressed but I have no idea what this involves, how much it costs, where I can get it done, legalities etc.
I have an EB and it already has lowered springs in it (I don't know how low, if I were to guess I would say 'low' springs - they were chucked on the car before I got it) and I basically want it like an inch lower at the front and a little more at the back to even it out.

So basically, the info I am after is this;

1. What is compressing a spring? I have heard of these spring clamps or something, is it this or is that completely different?
2. How much would it cost?
3. Where could I get it done? and
4. Is it legal (compressing and spring clamps - unless they're the same thing?)

Cheers,

Michael

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:15 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Someone help me out!

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Compressing a spring is a fairly involved process that is only done by professionals. They reheat the spring, change its height, and cool it down again. As far as i know, it should be legal, even though it is technically modified. The spring clapms youve heard of, are more than likely spring compressors, used to compress the spring so that it can be safely removed from the vehicle.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:36 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Compressing a spring is a fairly involved process that is only done by professionals. They reheat the spring, change its height, and cool it down again. As far as i know, it should be legal, even though it is technically modified. The spring clapms youve heard of, are more than likely spring compressors, used to compress the spring so that it can be safely removed from the vehicle.

I have actually heard of people using these 'spring clamps' on their cars for the sole purpose of lowering their car, maybe they're just driving around on spring compressors lol. Thanks for the info, you would happen to know how much it would be would you? Where I could get it done etc?

Would it just be better to fork out for new springs (something I don't have the cash for) - or would compressing the springs cost practically as much?

Has anyone actually done this!? I keep hearing about it but never heard from someone who has had it done.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

i see you are in melbourne! give THE SUSPENSION CENTRE a call! they do a good level job(some places are uneven at different corners) it takes a few hours so dont wait around just drop the car off to them! sorry i cant supply a phone number

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:38 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

t66_bt1 wrote:
i see you are in melbourne! give THE SUSPENSION CENTRE a call! they do a good level job(some places are uneven at different corners) it takes a few hours so dont wait around just drop the car off to them! sorry i cant supply a phone number

lol thanks, but if you're talking about the place in Kealba then it's on the other side of the city, I'm more looking for places that do it down my way (Ferntree Gully, Boronia etc).

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I dont think theres much difference in price between reset and new, but reset you can adjust to have it sitting just right. I reckon about 15mm lower than lows would be a nice compromise :P Just a tad higher than super lows

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont II

VIC, Australia

once u compress the springs dont the pop bak up afta a while [not sure]

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:17 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

FaBz wrote:
once u compress the springs dont the pop bak up afta a while [not sure]

I hope not...that wouldn't be money well spent lol

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

nahhhh never heard that! could happen though! personally i dont see the point of compressing them, you can get a full set of kings for the same price nowdays!

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Alright, here is a pic of the car at the moment, if I can get compressed springs, do you guys rekon I should go in that direction or just get some new (more) lowered springs? If you think springs, (as I don't know what is in the car at the moment) what should I get to make it even? I think I'll only do the back as when I do that, the car should look fairly low.

Attachments:
need_more_lowering!.jpg
need_more_lowering!.jpg [ 136.06 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I rekon just save for kings.

Doubt its worth the hassle really.

If you dont mind second hand springs, go to a few wreckers and look around, or subsequently, buy some off fordmods, i have a pair of king lows waiting at home for someone to buy.

Car Killer.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:54 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Seannyb wrote:
I rekon just save for kings.

Doubt its worth the hassle really.

If you dont mind second hand springs, go to a few wreckers and look around, or subsequently, buy some off fordmods, i have a pair of king lows waiting at home for someone to buy.

Do you think lows would be enough to make it even? Because I think that's what I have in at the moment. How much are you wanting for the springs?

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

be carefull mate doing that ive seen springs pop out when there been over a big bump

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

the way it works is when you compress them the car falls onto them holding them in place jack the car up they fall out over a bump fall out to much hassle better going orig springs already lowerd

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next