Fordmods Logo

convertion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: convertion
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

i know this has come up before but i cant find it in the search. about to fit a manual gearbox but dont have a pedal box or a manual computer. so my question is
1 how well does the computer work when u trick it into thinking its manual
2 how easy is it to modify the pedal box to fit a clutch lever
3 got told u need to move the dash back a bit to get pedal box in is this true.

help is much appreciated

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

there is a doco on this in the Tech Documents forum.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/auto-to- ... 42420.html

1) Works fine for me...just the occasional drop of revs when clutch is pushed...stalled once but that's it. Go past this by upping the idle speed.

2) Just buy a Mal Wood pin kit thingy. Just need to slap it on the auto pedal box, and bobs your uncle.

3) Yes, you need to remove bolts on the dash, pull the whole dash forward or off completely, undo the bolts to the auto pedal box, put the manual pedal box, in and try putting the dash back on without damaging plastic clips.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

here ya go read this

the auto computer works well (but can't beat a true manual computer) if you splice the wires properly no dramas but in my case i can only start the car in nutral...

what do you mean in the case of the auto box there is a hole for a clutch pin you either get a Mal Wood Clutch Pin or a "Rod Froude" Clutch Pin

5/8 Bolt, 2x washes, 2x 5/8 Nuts

put the clutch bushs on then clutch pedal then other bush, then before you put the washers on get a bench grinder and take either a "corner" off or little half circle cut out.

This is so the washer will sit proper on the brake pivot (you will see what i mean) put a washer on the side closet to the pedal box slide the bolt and clutch into the hole and then put another washer on the inside, get a nut tighten it up to a point were it is firm and were the pedal can move freely, use the other nut as a locknut

the only draw back the clutch pedal sits 10mm out more towards the tunnel (no drama really)

Yeah you must remove the dash but it is a f**k around don't bother just read voxace's guide and mine and you should have a better idea what to do and what you need.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: Re: convertion
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

NUTZEF wrote:
i know this has come up before but i cant find it in the search

i swear there are like a thousand tech doco's/threads saying how to do this...me thinks no search was done

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Post subject: Re: convertion
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

NUTZEF wrote:
convertion

skidder wrote:
i swear there are like a thousand tech doco's/threads saying how to do this...me thinks no search was done

maybe if 'conversion' was searched for it would produce some results :P

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

so if you get one off theses things from mal woods, you dont need to swap the pedal boxes over, can just use the auto one.

or do you still hvae to change the boxes over and pull dash out.?

and is the manual wiring loom different to the auto wiring loom?

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Are you gonna be doing the conversion yourself?

Anyway, use the mal wood pin to bolt on the clutch pedal, which also means the dash doesnt have to come out. Takes around 10 minutes.

Do the resistor trick and see if your happy with it, if not buy a manual ecu when you can

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

sorry to hi-jack the thread..but is there a sticky for a ba-bf manual conversion??

is it much more complicated to ef-el?

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54449&highlight=

here ya go read this

the auto computer works well (but can't beat a true manual computer) if you splice the wires properly no dramas but in my case i can only start the car in nutral...

what do you mean in the case of the auto box there is a hole for a clutch pin you either get a Mal Wood Clutch Pin or a "Rod Froude" Clutch Pin

5/8 Bolt, 2x washes, 2x 5/8 Nuts

put the clutch bushs on then clutch pedal then other bush, then before you put the washers on get a bench grinder and take either a "corner" off or little half circle cut out.

This is so the washer will sit proper on the brake pivot (you will see what i mean) put a washer on the side closet to the pedal box slide the bolt and clutch into the hole and then put another washer on the inside, get a nut tighten it up to a point were it is firm and were the pedal can move freely, use the other nut as a locknut

the only draw back the clutch pedal sits 10mm out more towards the tunnel (no drama really)

Yeah you must remove the dash but it is a f**k around don't bother just read voxace's guide and mine and you should have a better idea what to do and what you need.

do you read?????

the wiring loom in a manual yes it is different less wires slightly but if you follow my or voxaces guide you will be right if you want to fork out the 100 or so dollars for the mal wood clutch pin goto google and type in mal wood and follow the links or email him...

or get the bolt & nuts .................. the only other mod you need to do is to cut the auto pedal...... thus creating a manual pedal box.....

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i might just do that buy the pin from mal wood, to much stuffing around getting the dash out done it before.

and i do have a manual ECU, was jus wondering if i could off used the Auto loom.

and do i change over the brake pedal or use the same one..

is there anyhting else i might need to know.. ive looked at the coversion pics and ect.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

RustyEF wrote:
i might just do that buy the pin from mal wood, to much stuffing around getting the dash out done it before.

and i do have a manual ECU, was jus wondering if i could off used the Auto loom.

and do i change over the brake pedal or use the same one..

is there anyhting else i might need to know.. ive looked at the coversion pics and ect.

the brake pedal measure a mates pedal or ask us for the dimensions and get a angle grinder and lay something done on the carpet and cut to dimensions

manual ecu replaces the auto one straight swap as far as i know the loom is near identical to the manual loom as the round plug is not utilised in the manual

OR remove brake pedal and replace with a manual one (just remove of the box it self)

Have you read Mine and Voxace's???? his goes into detail and shows pictures about the loom wires etc etc and he states that "ignore this bit if you brought a manual ecu"

I did to my EB not the same as a EF i know but the simply idea is the same i posted now to think about it utter s**t about the manual conversion but i did it, it turned out well i never used a mal wood clutch pin i just got a manual pedal box ie for the clutch pedal and the brake... used the dimension of the brake pedal and brought a new rubber from repco and bobs ya gay uncle a manual pedal box...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

hey mate thankz yeah ive read them, but knowing me i will stuff it up somehow, so it would be much easier if i could get someone down for the day how has done one before.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]