Fordmods Logo

~cost of k-frame bush replacement?! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ~cost of k-frame bush replacement?!
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, need to replace the rubber bush thingo on the end of my passenger side K-frame that stops the wheel from moving back and forth while the car moves; am wondering if anybody know roughly how much this costs?
Ive been quoted $210 from Ford (went their as they were closest n had no clue what it was) and that includes the part, $32.50 and labour. They say the engine needs to be tilted and they need to drop the frame from the chasis to press the old one off and the new one on.. made sense, but seeing as its a ford price i figured id ask what its normally worth?
Will get quotes if nobody know, just being lazy as usual n wondering if anybody has had this done?
Oh, and how much for front wheel bearings?

Cheers -

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Are you talking about the radius rod bushes?

For the wheel bearings, they are f**k all. $25 maybe for a pair, plus grease plus 30 mins to fit.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

OK, been to few places, they seem to be calling them the "caster bushes" big round ones you can see when (in a windsor v8) you look down the front of the fan and engine to the left n right..
Mine are special ones, not the std ones and are now coming from some crazy location as they arent common ford said..
Pedders were $230 for the bush and refused to use the orig ford part im getting in, they 'must' use their superior parts and when i asked why he rekons they are that much easier to fit.. Anyway, they were not leanient in pricing so i walked.
Went to another mech on the way home and he rekon $220 but isnt sure how long to find this bush im after or when he will be avail to do the job.
Booked in at ford for next tuesday, they werent able to get me a price for bearings yet; will call back.

Anybody else had these go?
Guy at ford says they arent that common and when they go people dont care..
All i know is i dont like having a clunk and having my front wheels move back n forth when braking! :lol:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Post subject: REPLACED
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

i had my whole k- frame replaced in my EL FAIRMONT GHIA, WENT TO A WRECKERS, FERNTREE GULLY AUTO SALVAGES, got the wholek -frame with all parts, for $120

cheers

RUSTY

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Post subject: Re: ~cost of k-frame bush replacement?!
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Hey guys, need to replace the rubber bush thingo on the end of my passenger side K-frame that stops the wheel from moving back and forth while the car moves; am wondering if anybody know roughly how much this costs?
Ive been quoted $210 from Ford (went their as they were closest n had no clue what it was) and that includes the part, $32.50 and labour. They say the engine needs to be tilted and they need to drop the frame from the chasis to press the old one off and the new one on.. made sense, but seeing as its a ford price i figured id ask what its normally worth?
Will get quotes if nobody know, just being lazy as usual n wondering if anybody has had this done?
Oh, and how much for front wheel bearings?

Cheers -

I've replaced HEAPS of the caster/radius bushes on cars before, The K-frame does not have to come out, who ever said that is a TOTAL dumb a*** .

Yeah, They can be a real s*** to get out,

To remove them, you need to remove the front lower control arm, Its really not that had, take the steering knuckle off, (by un doing the balljoints)

EASIEST way to get them out, once you remove the radius rod, (because ford put the bushes in and then put the k-frame together) is use an angle grinder to cut the front of them from underneath the car . then use a socket or something like that with a hammer to tap them out .

Installing new ones is easy, get nolathane ones, (see alted performance thread) they are a two-peice bush, so none of this having to press stuff in. You put the front part of the bush in, and then the rear .

Don't bother with a second hand k-frame, chances are it will only need bushes again later down the track .

Takes 4 hours or so to install a the new nolathane kit to the front of your car . whoever said you need to tilt the engine should be shot!

oh wheel bearings, $22 each :)

Post subject: K FRAME
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

never said i had to replace the whoel thing the only reason i did was beause it was damaged and had to replace it! and it came with everything bushes and all

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]