Fordmods Logo

Crap Monroe GT Shocks? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Crap Monroe GT Shocks?
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Mazda Astina

NSW, Australia

Gday all, just after peoples opinions of if i've done anything wrong......
I lowered my car on Superlows and due to budget restraints I had to use Monroe GT Gas shocks in the front and rear (against my mates advice), everything else is stock and in good working condition (ie swaybar rubbers etcetc) but a few weeks ago I noticed a small knock coming from the rear drivers wheel. I did a visual check underneath, checked the top shock mount etc and came to the conclusion that it must be the swaybar link rubbers.... so I bought some Nolathane replacements.
I havent installed them yet but a few days ago the knock got worse and now it has progressed to a knock in both rear corners and front passenger corner so today I jacked it up and checked the lower mounts.... all is tight. I lowered it back down and bounced the rearend up and down..... theres the knock again so I got my wife to bounce the car up and down while I held onto the top shock mount where I noticed I could feel the knocking through the shocking. That to me suggests the shocks are stuffed internally...... opinions?

I used the lowered shocks in the front and the car takes a little while to settle when bounced...... I installed these about 3mths ago..... about 3mths past their reliability period according to my mate (he's a Bilstein man). lol

It doesnt knock when I push the rear down but knocks when it raises back up. Again I have already checked the lower & upper mounts and they are nice and tight.

The voices in my head don't like you.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

When you tightened the lower shock mount, did you do it with the weight of the car on the diff/wheels?

The knocking noise you describe can be caused if the lower bolts are tightened while the diff is hanging.

Oh and yes the Monroe GT shocks are crap. The short shocks are not short at all. I am using Ultima short stroke shocks, with S/Low springs and am very happy.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Yep, Monroe GT gas shocks are only designed for standard & slightly lowered heights. Have heard countless stories on them shocks combined with superlow springs.

But at the same time it could be your bottom shockie bolts need more tightening. I had same prob and tightened them till the socket flew off and it fixed the noises completely.

Also check the bushes in the top and bump stop are sitting correctly

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

If the back is knocking when it stops travelling up, makes it sound like the piston is hitting the top inside of the shocker,
My UC Torana Hatch did this when I placed HQ V8 heavy duty springs in it without replacing the standard shocks.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I went back out and rechecked everything again. I put the new swaybar rubbers in and tightened the lower shock mounts over the recommended torque settings.... so far the knock is gone which is awesome. ill see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

It is suggested to apply locktight to the bottom shock bolts as well

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Monroe only recomend there shocks for standard or low (i.e. Tickford/XR) height. Superlows you'd have eben better off saving the money towards a decent shock.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Monroe only recomend there shocks for standard or low (i.e. Tickford/XR) height. Superlows you'd have eben better off saving the money towards a decent shock.

Exactly, what he said ^^^^^^^^.
I don't believe in superlows, the car wasn't designed for that ride height anyway.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

cjh wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

I don't believe in superlows, the car wasn't designed for that ride height anyway.

Whiteline give the same sort of advice - they say there lows are for better handling and superlows for looks.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
cjh wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Whiteline give the same sort of advice - they say there lows are for better handling and superlows for looks.

I have my 88EA on EL XR6 springs, and was XR6 shocks, but now I have Pedders shocks ( got them on a really good deal), and it sits quite low enough for me, but I have oversize ( height wise ), tyres on it.

Attachments:
Suspension height of EA with XR6 springs. 002.jpg
Suspension height of EA with XR6 springs. 002.jpg [ 403.4 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Of course its for looks, i'm not driving a race car.
It gets me to work and back 5mins each way.... nothing more.
The suspension was shot when I bought the car so replaced it with something lower...... I paid $1800 for the car then spent nearly $3000 on a stereo.... why? Because thats what I like.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Jastel wrote:
Of course its for looks, i'm not driving a race car.
It gets me to work and back 5mins each way.... nothing more.
The suspension was shot when I bought the car so replaced it with something lower...... I paid $1800 for the car then spent nearly $3000 on a stereo.... why? Because thats what I like.

Funny that ^^^^, I went the other way, spent $600 on stereo, and I can't remember how much on brakes,exhaust, suspension, diff, & g'box. The engine is next, just short on time and funds....lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]