creaking brake noise 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: creaking brake noise
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

hi guys,

for a while now my front left brake has been making a creaking noise when braking. At first i thought i needed new pads (and upon consultation with my mechanic he agreed and said cheap pads can do this), as at higher speed it sounds like that crunchy gindy noise but i am not convinced.

At really low speed (like 1-2kmh) with foot on brake the is a creaking noise, and it will disappear if it has been raining. If anything i am more inclined to think it is more of a suspension noise or something to do with steering. What do you all think? I think there is also a bearing issue on that corner if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Louie

Post subject: Re: creaking brake noise
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Mate,

If the brake rotor is shiny then your rotors are probably "glazed" if thats the case, then you'll need to get them machined. Should set ya back about 50 bucks a corner. But replace the pads as well or scuff up the old ones with some sand paper.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ahh ok, i had the rotors machined a couple of months ago and the mechanic said he cleaned up the pads at the same time. He said they were cheap pads but they had another 15000ks in em. Is it conceivable that because they are cheap they are making this noise? or is he taking me for a ride?

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:34 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Yeah if you have been braking really hard even once or twice it can cause the rotors to get glazed, happens to mine all the time but i just put up with the creaking noise at low speeds. But if its making a grinding noise when your braking the pads could even be completely worn out. You can check how far the pads are gone pretty easily by jacking the car up and taking the wheel off.

May sound stupid but check your wheels are done up nice and tight too.

If you do end up getting new pads, and you want something really really good, get green stuff pads. If you want something thats good performance and reasonable price go for bendix ultimates. These will wear out the rotors quciker but give you good performance. I personally use bendix heavy dutys cuz im in peak hour for two hours a day.

BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:37 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Oh yeah, and that grinding noise could also be a wheel bearing, but most of the time you'll hear it all the time, not just when you put the brakes on.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ok well i am pretty sure i have a wheel bearing prob on that same corner so that may well be what it is. I have a mate that can help me do that job, but if i was to buy the parts, what would i need to get?

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:50 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Not sure mate, as i have never done the wheel bearing before. From memeory i got the whole job done on my front left for bout $240 i think all you need is the bearing.

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

louie0408 wrote:
ok well i am pretty sure i have a wheel bearing prob on that same corner so that may well be what it is. I have a mate that can help me do that job, but if i was to buy the parts, what would i need to get?

To test front wheel bearings just jack the front of car up. Leave wheel on, grab wheel at top and bottom and give it a good wiggle there should be no movement if there is any movement you will either need bearings re packed and re adjusted or replaced. I recommend you get a professional to re adjust or replace wheels bearings not something a novice should be doing take my word im a qualified mechanic iv seen the consequences

Also brake creak is normal at very low speeds with light brake application

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD Fairmont Ghia 351

NSW, Australia

Sounds like what is called pad grauntch ( i think thats how it is spelt ), common cause is low quality pads, or glazzed rotors ( as stated in earlier posts ) also caused by poor bedding in.
Light skim on the rotors & a good pad ( depending on budget ) will fix it up.
Just ask for EL bearing kits, gives you bearing cups & cones & seals.
But as stated, if in doubt get professional assistance.
Its straight forward if you have done it, but why take a chance.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]