Fordmods Logo

Custom brake lines???? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Custom brake lines????
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, just a question regarding custom brake lines...

I've got an EA that has got an complete EF loom running through it. This means that i've now got the option to install ABS as all the wiring is there for me.

I am going to be aquiring an EF v8 brake booster and master cylinder that i wanted to chuck in, and because the fitting position for the brake lines differ between EA and EL, i was going to try running EF brake lines and have a go at installing ABS as i have an ABS module (think that's what it's called) lying around.

Here's the problem tho, the ABS module on EF/EL's mount at the front of the passenger side quarter panel and hence the steel brake lines are designed for when it's in this location. Unfortunately, I have no room under there as i have 3 inch intercooler piping and a cold air induction in this spot now.

My question is if it's possible, and if so how much would it cost to have custom brake lines made up that would let me locate it in a different position, such as in the engine bay (like on AU's). Also, are there any legal issues when doing this, ie do i need to get an engineers certificate for this kinda work, or is it ok aslong as a qualified professional tackles the job...

One last thing, can they custom make up steel lines like the standard ones, or would i need to use braided lines for something like this??

any help would be much appreciated

cheers
Steve

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

custom brake lines can be made to order steel like the stock ones, iknow this much.
as for the other q's i don't have a clue.

why do u write in here.

Post subject: Re: Custom brake lines????
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Rmyers wrote:
I've got an EA that has got an complete EF loom running through it. This means that i've now got the option to install ABS as all the wiring is there for me.

Yeah Steve, I'm in the process of adding ABS to my XH (got an EF installation), so I can relate to this. So you're sure the loom is an ABS loom ??
Rmyers wrote:
I am going to be aquiring an EF v8 brake booster and master cylinder that i wanted to chuck in, and because the fitting position for the brake lines differ between EA and EL, i was going to try running EF brake lines and have a go at installing ABS as i have an ABS module (think that's what it's called) lying around.Here's the problem tho, the ABS module on EF/EL's mount at the front of the passenger side quarter panel and hence the steel brake lines are designed for when it's in this location. Unfortunately, I have no room under there as i have 3 inch intercooler piping and a cold air induction in this spot now.My question is if it's possible, and if so how much would it cost to have custom brake lines made up that would let me locate it in a different position, such as in the engine bay (like on AU's). Also, are there any legal issues when doing this, ie do i need to get an engineers certificate for this kinda work, or is it ok aslong as a qualified professional tackles the job...One last thing, can they custom make up steel lines like the standard ones, or would i need to use braided lines for something like this??
I'd say running the EF/EL system would need the least modification - can you locate the ABS modulator further back along the chassis rail ?? IIRC, there's enough room to not foul the suspension or the wheel arc on full lock, you may need to cut a portion out of the plastic wheel arch inner cover, but you could also make a sheetmetal stone guard for it. You could cut the brake lines shorter, and reflare the lines (you can do yourself with a flaring tool), and use those hex shaped joiners that you see along other areas in the brake lines. The line across from the RH front can be extended using these joiners as well. I'm not sure whether the brake line flares are single, or have to be double flared. The ABS wiring harness may be able to be rerouted, or maybe routed through a hole and grommet fitted underneath the airbox or toward the strut tower ?? Be aware that there seems to be two types of ABS modulator used - the earlier type has a pic in the EF/EL ABS diagnostics doco - the later type as used in later EF/EL and AU I (3 channel) has 4 lines in the top, and the RHF brake line in the front side - so the plumbing is slightly different between them. If your modulator is compatible with the later type, could you use AU I brake lines and fit the modulator near the RH strut tower as in AU's - obviously you'll need to extend and relocate the wiring loom. The brakeline differences in EF/EL ABS & non ABS models are essentially the front brakelines, the rear line at the joiner near the left chassis rail is unchanged from that spot aft. You'd have to speak with a knowledgeable rego inspector as to what you want to do, and the legality - hope this gives you some ideas . . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]