Fordmods Logo

DBA Slots on Front only...Worth It? 

 

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

 
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 34

Posts: 105

Joined: 19th Jan 2006

Gallery: 5 images

Location: ballarat
VIC, Australia

I MEAN BUY...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 7287

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Somewhere in
QLD, Australia

mswyld wrote:
I MEAN BUY...
there's an edit button y'know

 

_________________

Banned

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Sounds good, but......
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:28 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 47

Posts: 26

Joined: 27th Feb 2006

Ride: EF & EA

Location: Frankston
VIC, Australia

Okay boys 'n girls.

Been thinking about better discs for a while now...

I am not fussed about performance (stock are fine for the wife - If she don't mind - It don't matter)

But she managed to kill brand new standard DBA discs after 3 months!

This is a rock stock EF Gli.

Do the slotted rotors resist warping better than the standard ones?

Any other ideas to stop these things twisting? She does NOT in my opinion go hard on the brakes (quite the opposite in fact)

 

_________________

If I can't eat it, f#$k it or fix it with a screwdriver... I lose interest!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

i don't see how she managed to kill them? mom's EB Fairy that we've had most of it's life is still on the original discs... maybe your pad choice isn't right, maybe put something softer on them (e.g. Bendix General CT, Ferrodo Targets).

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2550

Joined: 28th Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
mswyld wrote:
I MEAN BUY...
there's an edit button y'know

and there's a caps lock button as well :lol:

 

_________________

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:03 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 47

Posts: 26

Joined: 27th Feb 2006

Ride: EF & EA

Location: Frankston
VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
i don't see how she managed to kill them? mom's EB Fairy that we've had most of it's life is still on the original discs... maybe your pad choice isn't right, maybe put something softer on them (e.g. Bendix General CT, Ferrodo Targets).


Yeah my old man's ED Fairy is the same - done the pads once in 7 years - that's it! (So it's not coz it's colder in Tassie!)

As for my better half, If it's mechanical or electrical - she can kill it! :-)

Don't recall the brand of pads? (Think they had ZERO or something similar on the box, might have been Ferrodo?) Black box with red band on it. Memory is a bit hazy 'tho!

I didn't screw around - New rotors, pads, bearings & kitted the calipers as the bloody pins had seized...

She does use the brakes very lightly - just "drags" them at a constant rate and gives herself plenty of room to stop.

(She used to have a N13 pulsar and doesn't like the EF - "too big")

These discs are 3-4 mths old and are starting to warp - not to the point of ripping the engine out of the mounts - but it is starting to get annoying.

I read somewhere (here?) that the discs are thinner in an effort to save weight? I would assume that would apply to the standard DBA replacements I used?

 

_________________

If I can't eat it, f#$k it or fix it with a screwdriver... I lose interest!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Ferrod Zero's are a brand of pad.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:06 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Sound slike something else might be at fault if you keep warping discs. Think how all the other mum and dad drivers drive their falcons around, warped discs isn't that common - that'd be a recall type matter for Ford.

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 533

Joined: 12th Jan 2005

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

shansta wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
i don't see how she managed to kill them? mom's EB Fairy that we've had most of it's life is still on the original discs... maybe your pad choice isn't right, maybe put something softer on them (e.g. Bendix General CT, Ferrodo Targets).


Yeah my old man's ED Fairy is the same - done the pads once in 7 years - that's it! (So it's not coz it's colder in Tassie!)

As for my better half, If it's mechanical or electrical - she can kill it! :-)

Don't recall the brand of pads? (Think they had ZERO or something similar on the box, might have been Ferrodo?) Black box with red band on it. Memory is a bit hazy 'tho!

I didn't screw around - New rotors, pads, bearings & kitted the calipers as the bloody pins had seized...

She does use the brakes very lightly - just "drags" them at a constant rate and gives herself plenty of room to stop.

(She used to have a N13 pulsar and doesn't like the EF - "too big")

These discs are 3-4 mths old and are starting to warp - not to the point of ripping the engine out of the mounts - but it is starting to get annoying.

I read somewhere (here?) that the discs are thinner in an effort to save weight? I would assume that would apply to the standard DBA replacements I used?


She doesn't perhaps drive riding the brakes does she? Like left food on the brake ALL the time, right foot on the accelerator?

The major cause of disc warping is uneven cooling. When the brakes get hot, the area of the disc under the pads cools down slower than the rest of the disc becauese the heat in the pads and caliper has to be dissipated aswell which take more time. The differential in cooling causes the discs to warp.

Just because the discs are being used 'lightly' doesn't mean they're not generating a lot of heat.

Edit: Ahh yeas. I almost forgot. The other common reason for warped discs is uneven torque on the wheel nuts. If they're not all done up the same, the discs can warp. I don't know how this happens, all I know is it does and it's no urban myth.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 47

Posts: 26

Joined: 27th Feb 2006

Ride: EF & EA

Location: Frankston
VIC, Australia

Hello!

>She doesn't perhaps drive riding the brakes does she? Like left food on >the brake ALL the time, right foot on the accelerator?

No, definetly not.

Put it this way - If I were driving the thing, I could understand! :-)

>Edit: Ahh yeas. I almost forgot. The other common reason for warped >discs is uneven torque on the wheel nuts. If they're not all done up the >same, the discs can warp. I don't know how this happens, all I know is it >does and it's no urban myth.

Changed s@#t load of rotors on plenty of different cars I have owned, this is a first for me! Think I did the wheels with a rattle gun from memory...

(I usually don't bother machining them - esp. if I don't have a solid history on the car - less mucking around to do rotors, pads, bearings & kit out the calipers. Then I can forget about 'em for a while!) Falcs and dunnydores are cheap as chips for parts anyways.

Dunno, will probably get these ones machined & recheck the bearings etc?

Just did the head, coil pack, fuel pump & filters, plugs, leads and injectors - purrs like a kitten now! That just leaves the brakes <sigh>.

 

_________________

If I can't eat it, f#$k it or fix it with a screwdriver... I lose interest!

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names