Fordmods Logo

diff centres for ebS2 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: diff centres for ebS2
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB GLi S2

VIC, Australia

ok i know its been talked about quite alot but here we go again, i have a bog standard EBSeries2 92 6cyl (becide head porting and a cat back 2 1/2 inch xhorst) and i am quite sure for memory it has 3.08 diff. now what i want to know is that can i go to the wreckers and get a lsd centre from an 91-92 Eb 2 fairlane/fairmont ghia and put them in. now what i want know is it a simple fit and fill with oil and off i go. or is the diff ratio different in the fairmont/ghia and or fairlane. oh and its a 4sp auto. also the fact it its the same diff raito i wont have to change my speedo. so how are my chances of just a simple diff centre change over? :?

it aint over till its over......

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Deos EB,
AFAIK They're are no 3.08 LSDs so a direct centre swap is a no go.
All our [Ford] LSDs are either 3.23, 3.27 or 3.45 [I'm not sure about 3.23] and those centres will only fit into a 3.08 housing with some [costly] machining.
You can tell what ratio a LSD is by looking at the extra tag they have on the rear of the housing.
You are better off getting a complete LS diff, even an EF/EL and fitting it as a unit than machining your 3.08 housing to take the larger carrier bearings.
Then you can have a simple change over, depends what ratio and what model you want to source it from.
My manual ED Futura has a [factory fitted] 3.27 LSD, the EB2 GLI has an ELXR6 3.45 LSD and EL calipers with EL hand brake cable, the EB2 Fairmont has a 3.23 diff. BenJ's EB1 has an EF XR6 3.45 LSD with EB calipers fitted [for now]. There's plenty of choices and none are hard to fit...as a complete unit.
All XR6s should be tagged 3.45 LSD, for the rest check the tag to confirm the ratio.
As far as which ratio is best, well it's better to have a tight 3.27 than a stuffed 3.45 and the 3.45 ratio is my preference for an auto but the 3.27 isn't far behind.
Cheers,
Mac

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

deos eb, if you are deadly serious about an LSD, you could send our sponsor, FTG wreckers an email, and enquire about a suitable diff.

The older I get the better I was!

Post subject: diff cetnres for eb2
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB GLi S2

VIC, Australia

thanks for that guys i never tought of the housing being bigger. well i might just go pay the boys at ft'gully seeing i am not far from them.

back in the day i did a complete diff swap on a cortina and it was shortened and it was just alot of stuffing around to put it in so i thought this way waold save alot of time. thanks again

it aint over till its over......

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]