Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: diff question
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

a Lokka will fit in a single spinner housing...

You will have to shoot 4wd systems an email and double check that they make one for the 25 spline centre... This way you can keep the original gears and don't have to adjust nothing... Unless you want a different ratio anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 93 EB xr6

VIC, Australia

Will 3.5's be much of a difference from 3:45 coz my brothers gettin a new car and i will take his old EL diff out that has 3:45 and a mate that owes me a favour has a set of brand spanking 3.5's will they fit in my bros lsd ??

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed
FOR SALE BA XR8 18" GENIUNE 0433006707

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Didn't know there is a such thing as 3.5's...

Are you sure they suit an LR69 Borgwarner Diff?

And no the difference from 3.45 to 3.5 would be nil... You would notice nothing and the time to re-shim and measure the diff would be nowhere near the advantage...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yeh, they were to be in a stock VL diff but he's leaving it factory single. so with my bros diff ya rekon to stick with the 3:45? my old man rekons maybe go 3.7/9

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Depends what you wanna achieve...

I wouldn't worry about going that short because I want to keep the fuel economy at 100km/hr...

I have never driven with 3.45 or anything shorter so I can't really comment... For for the cost of doing it and buying/finding all the possible sized shims its not gonna make it launch like a drag car... Keep in mind it still only has 6 cyl 150 odd kw engine in it...

If you only chasing a little bit go for it... If you chasing massive launches you'd be looking at much more money...

As I said I don't have the tools, shims, or 100% certainty on what I'm doing... The car launches fine and will launch better once the 1636 cam is in it (low rpm cam) and I'd sooner keep the current 2100 or 2200 :? rpm that it does at 100km/hr so the fuel economy remains unchanged... I want better drive out of the corners without changing ratios so hence the Lokka for better hook up... I hope... I can change the centre and not effect the the run out of the gears so that suits me fine...

Each to their own... After talking to some of the more experienced members on here its not worth my while trying to find a LSD... Cost me a fortune to get it here for 1... and it is still not guaranteed too lock up... a Lokka will give better traction, esp when towing, and when you stand on the throttle your 100% sure both wheels are going to lock up...

Read some other peoples opinions in this driveline workshop... Most people do prefer 3.45 with an LSD... Some people here run 4.11's... These are probably a much more noticable improvement... Would be insane launches (For a 6cyl motor)... But your looking at climbing close to 3000rpm when doing highway miles... (2700 or something I think I saw somewhere)...

Each to their own mate...

Put in the diff for starters... Try 3.45's... If you don't like it then move to 3.89's or something...

Come on guys

Anybody else is welcome to help out here... :roll:

I haven't experiences much with other ratios... Only going on what I've heard and seen written...

You've got nothing to loose so try it mate...

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

eb_dean wrote:
Hey,
Im a bit confused

I'm more confused. You say you have an EB1, but you say you have a 4L in it from new. Which would mean its an EB2, which in turn changes everything... So which one is it? :?

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
im lost :shock:

I agree. :D

timmytimtim wrote:
Anybody else is welcome to help out here... :roll:

I think we need more info from eb_dean.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

well explain this then, it's has. central locking, not remote. no smartlock. but was manafactured on 9/92.

and wat info do you need ??

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

eb_dean wrote:
well explain this then, it's has. central locking, not remote. no smartlock. but was manafactured on 9/92.

and wat info do you need ??

EB2 was released early/mid 92, from April on, from memory.

Smartlock was introduced late 92. September/October-ish...

Looks like you got one of the pre-smartlock EB2's. If its definitely a 4L, its an EB2 and everything mechanical that comes with it, no question.

That being the case, go find a 3.45 from an EB2 or ED and bolt the f**k in. Nothing more to worry.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Lucky your knew that arm... :shock:

I sure didn't...

Something new today...

Cheers...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2