Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
offyaguts wrote:
Keep in mind though, superlows are generally illegal in ride height, but depending on your shocks some sit legally.

What is an illegal ride height? Superlows lower your car 50mm surely a Falcon dropped 50mm is still legal.
I'm gonna have to find the legal ride height for WA.

pretty sure the sills have to be min. 100ml of the ground. somone once told me that a beer can must be able to sit in between the sill and the road

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

The overall length of the shock absorber remains the same however the spring seat height changes in where it is mounted on the shock body. Now since shock rates werent discussed but in fact the overall length of them was, you go back to sitting on your high stool and comparing the foam to your shock absorbers. This guy asked
Quote:
waverunner
I want to lower my ef I am going to put low on the rear and superlow on the front my question is

1. Do I need to get shorter shockers?
2. While I am pulling the struts out is there any bushes or rubbers I should replace while I have the chance..

Thanks

Now you went off on a different tangent deciding that you wanted to slag out on spork because he made a simple TRUE comment that you didnt agree with. Im going to get this quote next week so that you can shove it up your a***.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just for the record jaysen, i was agreeing with MO and supporting his correct information.

And as for that quote you're looking for, read this quote, found here regarding progressive rate springs. As you can see, King Springs agree with moi!

"Progressive rate springs are the ultimate in spring design. The principle is simple. The spring rate increases when you need it (cornering, load carrying etc.) and decreases it when you don't. The science being over what suspension travel and to what degree the spring rate will increase. This varies greatly between vehicles. Referring to the above 3 conditions with Kings Performance Progressive Rate Springs a substantial spring rate increase is achieved with minimal loss of ride comfort as the spring rate increases and decreases where necessary. As the spring de-rates (the spring rate decreases) the shock absorber no longer struggles for rebound control and gives improved vehicle stability."

Now, I know this is completely off topic, but so was jaysen's attemp to discredit me in favour of his and his friends' own false and misleading information.

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

Howdy guys, while you are all off on a tangant can someone please add a few comments about shocker brands and types.

I was just thinking of using the Monroe GT Gas shockers in the rear

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Most people are happy with KYB as a cheaper shock. Waggin sells them see the link in the forum index. Some people find them a little underdamped with kings superlow springs but generally they are a good cheap shock. While your there do the front aswell.

And back to the tangent! :D

I have reservations about progressive rate springs. I think alot more design into the package on the whole car has to be taken into account. While they could be really good they could also be alot worse. I think it will be hard to choose and tune a shock with the variable rate since different magnitude bumps are going to have a non-linear affect on the cars handling. Also anti-roll bars are going to have greater jacking effect on the inside wheel as you turn a corner since the first part of spring travel will be the lowest rate. Also there may be progressiveness built into the suspension anyway as it moves.
These things can all be accounted for and tuned for a more optimum handling but ultimately since almost none of us are professional drivers or have regular access to a racetrack or suspension analysers we're best off keeping it simple.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2