Fordmods Logo

Do I need new shockers for low and superlow 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Do I need new shockers for low and superlow
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

I want to lower my ef I am going to put low on the rear and superlow on the front my question is

1. Do I need to get shorter shockers?
2. While I am pulling the struts out is there any bushes or rubbers I should replace while I have the chance..

Thanks

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Shortened struts are recommended for the front if you gow superlows...

Recommended but not essential.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Not essential but recommended. Shorter shocks will give you a better ride when lowered.

As for bushes, depends how your cars handling, and it can be quite expensive replacing bushes as I've found out just recenlty. In the whole car there is around 20 or so bushes.

Why don't you go either lows all round or super lows all round rather than mixing and matching, then complimenting them with some koni adjustables if your not too sure about them. Keep in mind though, superlows are generally illegal in ride height, but depending on your shocks some sit legally.

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Recommended but not essential.

Great minds think alike!!!!

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

if your car has a few k's on it you could do the sway bar bushes as you have to pull them out anyway. i run superlows with std gt gas with no probs. i don't have it bottom out although because i've always lowered my cars i have a habit of slowing down over big holes/drains/driveways etc.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

offyaguts wrote:
Keep in mind though, superlows are generally illegal in ride height, but depending on your shocks some sit legally.

What is an illegal ride height? Superlows lower your car 50mm surely a Falcon dropped 50mm is still legal.
I'm gonna have to find the legal ride height for WA.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

What do shocks have to do with the height of your car - springs determine the height and shocks only effect their movement.

If superlows are illegal then shocks will not effect wether you pass the legal test or not!

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

MO wrote:
What do shocks have to do with the height of your car - springs determine the height and shocks only effect their movement.

If superlows are illegal then shocks will not effect wether you pass the legal test or not!

On the front the springs sit over the top of the shocks. There is a mounting point for them. Different shocks = different mounting points =different ride hight.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Spork wrote:
MO wrote:

On the front the springs sit over the top of the shocks. There is a mounting point for them. Different shocks = different mounting points =different ride hight.

MO is right. Springs set the height. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If shocks determined the height of the car, then people would put different shocks in their cars to lower them and leave the springs alone. (Doesn't take a genius to make that logical connection) It's a very common mis-conception about suspension, just like all the false information going round about how anti-roll bars work.

Legal ride height must be 100mm ground clearance within the width of the vehicle which is 1m forward or behind the axle (every axle has to satisfy that condition.

AND

Clearance of the mid-point between any two consecutive axles must have a clearance of the axle height multiplied by the distance, in metres, between the axles.

That test must be done on a "fully loaded car" which is defined as 2 x 70kg persons in the front seat and 50kg in the trunk.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I have superlows in my car and was pulled over for being too low. However i cleared the limit with 2-3mm to spare.

So superlows will be VERY close to the limit.. in some cases may be under the limit.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

What I was wondering is with superlows and normal lenght shockers, weather the spring may be able to come loose and not sit right has the shocker will allow it to over extend. Hope this made some sence.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Spork wrote:
MO wrote:

MO is right. Springs set the height. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If shocks determined the height of the car, then people would put different shocks in their cars to lower them and leave the springs alone. (Doesn't take a genius to make that logical connection) It's a very common mis-conception about suspension, just like all the false information going round about how anti-roll bars work.

Legal ride height must be 100mm ground clearance within the width of the vehicle which is 1m forward or behind the axle (every axle has to satisfy that condition.

AND

Clearance of the mid-point between any two consecutive axles must have a clearance of the axle height multiplied by the distance, in metres, between the axles.

That test must be done on a "fully loaded car" which is defined as 2 x 70kg persons in the front seat and 50kg in the trunk.

Sorry that's not what i ment to imply. But the front springs do sit on a mounting platform on the shocks. Not all shocks have that platform in the same place. The koni's for example have 2 options so that they are compatable with low and superlow springs.

Obviously you don't lower your car with shocks but when it is only 2-3mm over legal height then the exact position of the mounting plate can make that crucial difference.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Ok found out today after putting car on hoist that I will have to replace my rear shocks as one is weaping :(

So what brand do you guys suggest something of good quilty but not cost the earth.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Spork wrote:
MO wrote:

AND

The more you talk the more of a moron I think you are. IT IS A FACT that you can buy shock absorbers with different spring seat positions. I spoke to Danny from Pedders in Penrith NSW last week regarding the matter. 2 options are available in which one shock remains at your original ride height, and the other reduces your ride height of the front of the car by 25mm. I will be getting part numbers on monday cause I know that your going to say that Im full of s**t, but your wrong again woja boy.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Changing the spring seat position is vastly different to changing the stiffness of the shock absorber. It is exactally, in regards to ride height, as changing the spring length.

Just like you can put longer legs on your chair and thinner foam. Same seating position, vastly different chair. Now, in that analogy, the type of foam, or the stiffness of the foam didn't change, only the length of the chair legs (the spring seat) and the amount of foam (the sspring) Please talk about stuff you actually know about instead of speaking the crap you do.

If you install a spring 2" shorter and then raise the spring seat height by 2" then yes, you do have the same ride height... but this has nothing at all to do with the shock rates.

Now, if you mean something completely different then please, by all means, re-post with the correct terminology. But your post just contradicted your own opinion.

Last edited by unclewoja on Sun May 01, 2005 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next