Fordmods Logo

Do i really need engine coolant??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Do i really need engine coolant???
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hi All,

I replaced my radiator a few months ago and my EF XR6 now runs super cool where i wanted it to be and been thinking do i really need coolant???

My radiator joint said only to use Techtaloy products as there great and they do alot R & D with there products which makes them superior to other brands.

Ive used Nulon long life coolant and apparently over time if does damage to the radiator cores so this is the main reason i dont want to run coolant.

Ive also been recommended to use a corrosion inhibitor as alloy head engines like mine with corrode/rust if i only have plain water.

Some questions i have;

Does coolant really keep the engine cool? if so by how much eg 10% better???

What brand have you used and whats ur feedback???

Any other product used in conjunction with coolant which helps with cooling and protecting cooling system???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: Do i really need engine coolant???
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:

Any other product used in conjunction with coolant which helps with cooling and protecting cooling system???

Yes, you definitely need coolant. It's the glycol content in the coolant that helps transfer the engine heat without boiling. I use Techtaloy 60 Plus as its a coolant/rust inhibitor and ready to use. Since it discolours over time, I change it every 12 months to maintain its effectiveness.

I prefer this coolant to using distilled water and a can of coolant additive, like Bars or Wynns.

My main concern is reducing the effects of rust build up in the block. When I did the first head gasket change on my 3.9L, I noticed that the holes for the water galleries differed in the new gasket. The ones you buy today have smaller holes to let the coolant through, which means they can block up quicker with rust if the cooling system is neglected.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:46 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i could be wrong here??
i thought when people say coolant its really anti freeze anti boil combined with corosion inhibitors??
so i guess they call it coolant because the liquid has a higher boiling point than water??

but i think most people use it for its corosion inhibitors more than its cooling properties...

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well my car runs super cool so i only need something for rust/corrosion.

Any products u recommend guys???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Ive been running Nulon long life for years and never had any kind of corrosion problems.

But if you don't want to do what every car manufacturer specifies, then just run straight distilled water.

One other good thing with 'coolant' is that when there is a leak you can clearly see the bright green drips, with just plain water its alot harder (and will evaporate with no trace, evaporated coolant leaves a residue)

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have found Techtaloy to be crap.....will use Nulon concentrate, Castrol concentrate, or Repco concentrate.
If you exceed 68% glycol mix with water, the heat transfer doesn't happen.
At 50% mix...boiling temp raised approx 9 degrees C.
A way to tell of quality in the coolant product is to look at the grams per litre of glycol.
Mitsubishi has 1025g/l...Castrol ( Anti-freeze/Anti-boil ) was 1100g/l ( white bottle ) or 930g/l ( yellow bottle ).
There the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Coolant is very important to have, does more than keep corosion at bay, but lubes the mechanical seal in the pump too.
I don't like OAT or HAT coolants...I think they are crap. ( Organic Acid Technology ) ( Hybrid Acid Technology).

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Well my car runs super cool so i only need something for rust/corrosion.

Any products u recommend guys???

Penrite Pro Coolant System Inhibitor will do the job. A rust inhibitor with no glycol in in it.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

I use this Nulon coolant with distilled water. Works real well....

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
MICKYYYY wrote:

Yes, you definitely need coolant. It's the glycol content in the coolant that helps transfer the engine heat without boiling. I use Techtaloy 60 Plus as its a coolant/rust inhibitor and ready to use. Since it discolours over time, I change it every 12 months to maintain its effectiveness.

I prefer this coolant to using distilled water and a can of coolant additive, like Bars or Wynns.

My main concern is reducing the effects of rust build up in the block. When I did the first head gasket change on my 3.9L, I noticed that the holes for the water galleries differed in the new gasket. The ones you buy today have smaller holes to let the coolant through, which means they can block up quicker with rust if the cooling system is neglected.

techaloy 60 plus is just water with anti-corrosion additives..run a coolant with 'anti freeze/boil' at either a 50 or 33% mix ratio (if buying concentrate)

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

+1 for Nulon long life...

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

After reading over the product info for Techtaloy, Nulon & Castrol, I think I'll dump the Techtaloy and use Castrol or Nulon as suggested.

In support of cjh & FORDom's comments, the Techtaloy only has 65g/L of glycol compared to 1000+g/L in the other products which makes it about as effective as Lime cordial.

Last edited by Shortshift on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

another one to look out for is 'calibre' its a supercheap auto brand, but actually has more glycol then nulon (i think its 1060 whereas nulon is 1058) and the calibre one is about 5 bukcs cheaper.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
After reading over the product info for Techtaloy, Nulon & Castrol, I think I'll dump the Techtaloy and use Castrol or Nulon as suggested.

Is support of cjh & FORDom's comments, the Techtaloy only has 65g/L of glycol compared to 1000+g/L in the other products which makes it about as effective as Lime cordial.

On ya dude....always read the bottles, eh?......you can pick crap from good then.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

good quality anti freez anti boil coolant is the key. You can defenetly pick a falcon that has had cheap coolant or even no coolant run through it, thermostat cover and water pump eaten away.

the EF requires you to use anti freeze anti boil as the cooling fans dont hit secons speed until 108*c

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What do all these additibes do exactly???

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next