Fordmods Logo

do stearing racks need to be centred? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: do stearing racks need to be centred?
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: ea spak xr6 look a like

QLD, Australia

hello peoples, i've got a ea s pac, i put a ef k frame in it for the beafer lower control arms, worked well, after change the stearing wheel was not centred, after wheel alinment stearing wheel is centred, but it vears to the left, i'm wondering if the rack is not centred? any advice will be apreciated.

Post subject: Re: do stearing racks need to be centred?
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

falconhell80 wrote:
hello peoples, i've got a ea s pac, i put a ef k frame in it for the beafer lower control arms, worked well, after change the stearing wheel was not centred, after wheel alinment stearing wheel is centred, but it vears to the left, i'm wondering if the rack is not centred? any advice will be apreciated.

the steering rack bolts up onto the k frame with 2 bolts. And if done up correctly the rack should be right, I suggest going back to whence you got the wheel alignment and cause looks like didn't do it correctly/.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I'm pretty sure they can just adjust the toe so the steering wheel is straight, without sorting the rest of the settings out. You need to find a place to do it properly. Good luck :?

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

thats the thing i've had 3 alinments doné differant places, every time palls to the left, eg if you put your stearing wheel on of centre then got wheel alinment would'nt that make the rack not centred? in the middle ect?

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

falconhell80 wrote:
thats the thing i've had 3 alinments doné differant places, every time palls to the left, eg if you put your stearing wheel on of centre then got wheel alinment would'nt that make the rack not centred? in the middle ect?

jack the front up and turn the wheel to both locks and see if it travels the same,or locks up on the inner guards,take some measurements.you may have to remove the yoke on the rack to steering shaft to find centre,then check the alinment.most check the turn on both locks when they do the alinment and centre the wheel,how was the castor \camber deg.s,do you need a castor kit to fix it?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:30 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
jack the front up and turn the wheel to both locks and see if it travels the same,or locks up on the inner guards,take some measurements.you may have to remove the yoke on the rack to steering shaft to find centre,then check the alinment.most check the turn on both locks when they do the alinment and centre the wheel,how was the castor \camber deg.s,do you need a castor kit to fix it

thats a good idear lock to lock,will check that, can do that with stearing wheel?
they never mentioned it needing a camber/castor kit.

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:30 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
jack the front up and turn the wheel to both locks and see if it travels the same,or locks up on the inner guards,take some measurements.you may have to remove the yoke on the rack to steering shaft to find centre,then check the alinment.most check the turn on both locks when they do the alinment and centre the wheel,how was the castor \camber deg.s,do you need a castor kit to fix it

thats a good idear lock to lock,will check that, can do that with stearing wheel?

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

falconhell80 wrote:
hans hartman wrote:

yes with the weight off the wheels it will turn easy with the steering wheel,did they give you a print out of the wheel alinment,my guys do.i can then check and talk to them about about,excessive wear or worn out parts,and whats needed to fix it.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

8 out of 10 EA Falcon's needed a camber/castor kit.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

MadMatt wrote:

oh great! serpose they are the first batch of the e series :cry:

well i discussed the situation with the wheel alinment ''technition''
and he drove my car and he thinks its mostly got toe out since the last wheel alinment
indercated by feathered iner tread. BUT he noticed it pulling to the left also.
he said it shouldn't need to be internally centred when a car pulls to a side its from
one of the wheels further back than the other, like on a skate board when you turn.
BUT i checked if the rack was internally centred and it aint! so before wheel alinment is done AGAIN
i'll make sure the rack is centred. will let you all know how it goes.

thanks for all you're input members

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

falconhell80 wrote:
MadMatt wrote:

BUT he noticed it pulling to the left also.
he said it shouldn't need to be internally centred when a car pulls to a side its from
one of the wheels further back than the other, like on a skate board when you turn.

Has your car ever had any damage to the front suspension, or been in a accident?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
falconhell80 wrote:
MadMatt wrote:

Has your car ever had any damage to the front suspension, or been in a accident?

not that i can tell, looks all original under the bonnet, rear/left corner has repair work, the wheel arches havent been spread.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

falconhell80 wrote:
Shortshift wrote:
falconhell80 wrote:
MadMatt wrote:

not that i can tell, looks all original under the bonnet, rear/left corner has repair work, the wheel arches havent been spread.

do these ---------experts drive the car before and after they FIXED IT?mine are laser checked to the rear-diff.there are very small variations from both sides-bush wear.your k-frame may not be square to the chassis,but it would have shown up 3 times.there is a funny thing going,1 they can adjust the parts to do the job but cant replace them 2 they can do everything and do a good job-licences for 1 or 2,so if they have 1 they go as close as they can with the car as is,specs vary for the same car.post the 3 settings they gave you.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

do these ---------experts drive the car before and after they FIXED IT?mine are laser checked to the rear-diff.there are very small variations from both sides-bush wear.your k-frame may not be square to the chassis,but it would have shown up 3 times.there is a funny thing going,1 they can adjust the parts to do the job but cant replace them 2 they can do everything and do a good job-licences for 1 or 2,so if they have 1 they go as close as they can with the car as is,specs vary for the same car.post the 3 settings they gave you.[/quote]

hey hans hartman they never gave me a print out of the alinment?? might be time to find a new place to do it?

got the wheel alinment done today.... not too bad still has a slight pull to the left :cry:
see if it gets any worse again, got them to check the front end, the only problem they found was the lower balljoints boots are gone but are ok[witch i already new] and the bushes for the top of the strut weren't the best, sooo what to do now? how can you check if the front end is square?

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

falconhell80 wrote:
do these ---------experts drive the car before and after they FIXED IT?mine are laser checked to the rear-diff.there are very small variations from both sides-bush wear.your k-frame may not be square to the chassis,but it would have shown up 3 times.there is a funny thing going,1 they can adjust the parts to do the job but cant replace them 2 they can do everything and do a good job-licences for 1 or 2,so if they have 1 they go as close as they can with the car as is,specs vary for the same car.post the 3 settings they gave you.

hey hans hartman they never gave me a print out of the alinment?? might be time to find a new place to do it?

got the wheel alinment done today.... not too bad still has a slight pull to the left :cry:
see if it gets any worse again, got them to check the front end, the only problem they found was the lower balljoints boots are gone but are ok[witch i already new] and the bushes for the top of the strut weren't the best, sooo what to do now? how can you check if the front end is square?[/quote]they adjusted it to the worn parts,so could be square,get a mate to follow you and see if the car drives straight-----------no print out? any warranty on it? i get 3 months

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next