Fordmods Logo

Does converting to manual mean i will lose cruise control? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Does converting to manual mean i will lose cruise control?
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef futura

SA, Australia

hi guys,

just as the subject line says. i have an ef futra auto which im converting to a manual. does this mean i will lose my cruise control?? if so, is there anyway i can keep it when i convert?? cheers

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

Cruise will still work, however unless you install the clutch switch it wont switch off when you use the clutch

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII

NSW, Australia

My cousin had a manual with cruise control :D Unless he was lying, it can be done. His car was an EBII.

Back in an E series!

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef futura

SA, Australia

ohh ok, how abouts do you install the clutch switch??

Post subject: manual
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

i has a fairmont witch i converted to manual and i pulled the dash out and changed the pedal box over (highly recommended) and it came with a clutch switch. all u need to do is hook it up to the briged terminal under the dash and all will work fine. if u dont do this it will rev up the s**t when u push the clutch in.

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Post subject: Re: manual
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NUTZEF wrote:
....all u need to do is hook it up to the briged terminal under the dash and all will work fine

could you give a better description please?

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah you can still keep your cruise control. If you installed a manual pedal box, then there should be a switch with it, if not, then you might be able to use a brake switch and connect it to the brake switch cable. That way if you brake or push the clutch in the cruise control is disabled.

I haven't connected my switch yet cause I'm lazy. It is a good idea to put a switch in, but not necessary. I have forgotten to turn the cruise off when I was coming off a freeway ramp and pushed the clutch in and the car just revved off it's nuts. Not doing that again.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

done right you won't loose it just need a clutch switch and loom (plugs into brake one and uses brake and clutch as a off thingy)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: cruise
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

to tell u the truth dude in my car it was stuck up between the dash and the fire wall could not see it till it was removed. but if u back track up from the brake pedal switch u should be able to find it. i had to lengthen the wires about 30cm to get it to reach down to the clutch switch so i am not sure if u can do it without dash removed.
btw if u are thinking mal woods clutch pin i have seen 3 snap off so if u are thinking manual do it right and use the pedal box from a manual

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

the mal wood clutch pins are very good. BUT make sure you get one of the new reinforced ones! they have a massive plate to eliminate pedal boxes breaking. to be honest the main reason pedal boxes break is ppl using old cables and pressure plates that are too heavy. fords weren't designed for super heavy duty pressure plates.

but if you use a mal wood pin on an auto box i'm not sure how you'd wire up a clutch switch coz the little bracket thingy it normally goes in isnt there on an auto pedal box (well not in ea-ed anyway).

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Post subject: Re: manual
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
NUTZEF wrote:
....all u need to do is hook it up to the briged terminal under the dash and all will work fine

could you give a better description please?
Check out the cruise install doco.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
Yeah you can still keep your cruise control. If you installed a manual pedal box, then there should be a switch with it, if not, then you might be able to use a brake switch and connect it to the brake switch cable. That way if you brake or push the clutch in the cruise control is disabled.

Obviously if you connect the clutch to the brake switch then whenever you use your clutch, the brake lights will come on...

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TwistedEL wrote:
phongus wrote:

Obviously if you connect the clutch to the brake switch then whenever you use your clutch, the brake lights will come on...

I thought there were more cables in the back of the brake switch which is used to disable the cruise control? 2 sets of wires for the rear lights and 2 sets of wires for the kill switch? Either that or I'm lost.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

no there is a switch on the master cylinder that does that job.(EF-AU, not sure on earlier e series) then there is a switch on the clutch pedal to diasble when foot put on clutch

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

No, technically the cruise control is connected to the brake lights, and in case that switch fails there is a backup on the master cylinder - which takes considerably more force to activate.

There is a loom tucked up behind your fuse panel which is bridged out. On a manual with crusie control, that would run to the clutch pedal switch.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next