Fordmods Logo

Driveline Noise 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Driveline Noise
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

There's a noise in my driveline and it's bugging the crap out of me!

Seriously though, it is a very low pitched sound, my girlfriend tells me it is similar to the sound a tram makes when it is slowing down (in tone and pitch).

Basically, the sound is only present when the car is at constant speed, ie doing 60km/h and not accelerating, and when I brake, although the fact it cannot be heard during acceleration may just be because my exhaust is drowning it out.

I have checked to ensure the following -

Thermo's working, all fan belts in place and not rubbing or showing signs of wear, all cylinders firing (seemed silly but thought I should check anyway). In terms of leaks - no leaks present, oil is full, as is power steering fluid. Wouldn't mind checking the tranny but not sure how. Economy has not changed, nor has handling and the revs are more than reasonable (haven't changed in regards to speed, ie 1650 - 1700 rpm when doing 100km/h)

Was thinking one of three things, but not sure how to check any of them, maybe a wheel bearing, but not sure what occurs when one shoots through (or how to check this exactly, barring the sound), or perhaps low fluid in the tranny or diff. Although there is no fluid leaks from either, and the tranny is shifting perfectly when I run it though 1 - 3 and Drive, and of course when driving normally it doesn't hang or stick, it operates as it always has.

While trying to diagnose the problem, I hung my head out the window like a drongo at 60km/h and slipped her in to neutral, there was no change in tone, nor could I be sure that it was coming from the back or front of the car.

Going to check diff all in the morning, though I’m doubtful it’s the diff as diff oil is fairly thick and there is no leaks, nor is there leaks/moisture around the diff housing and filler and drain bolts.

The break pads are 20,000km old, if that, and the rotors were checked when the break pads were done and were fine, there has also been no regular hard breaking or the like.

The car last sore breaks plus 3000 km's ago, they made no comment on the wear on the break pads or the rotors, though that means sweet f.a really...

Starting to run out of options, is there any give away that would indicate wheel bearings?

Am also going to look at the break calipers and make sure one hasn’t seized, though I’m doubtful as when the car is in neutral and coasting it does not rapidly decelerate nor does it pull to one side.

If any one can help I’d really appreciate it.

Jono

'97 GLi, K&N Pod, Dual Lukeys - 2.5" pipe - 3.5" Tip, Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows, MP3 Deck, Sub/Amp

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Sorry, specs on the car -

1997 4.0L EL Falcon GLi Sedan Auto
----------------------
2.5" Cat Back Mandrel Bent Exhaust to Two Lukey Sports Mufflers and a 3.5" Dump Pipe
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads - NGK Sports Plugs

'97 GLi, K&N Pod, Dual Lukeys - 2.5" pipe - 3.5" Tip, Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows, MP3 Deck, Sub/Amp

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

bump

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

jack the car up. spin each wheel one at a time and listen to the wheel for the bearing noise. this will tell you if you've got a wheel bearing gone.

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

sounds like a bearing in the a*** end somewhere, either a wheel bearing or the diff. jack it up, see if thee is any play in the wheels (grab them, and see if there is much movement - bit hard on the back but if they are shagged you will know) drop the oil out of the diff and put new stuff in, see if anything comes out with the old oil.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Well I jacked up the rear end this arvo, only having the crappy standard jack made it a bit harder, but none the less.

First I jacked up the right passanger side, once the wheel was off the ground I found it has play in it, moved left to right a good 1cm or so by my extremely accurate guess.

Jacked up the drivers side rear and there is no pay, the wheel does not move.

My question is, does this mean the passenger side rear wheel bearing is shagged, or the drivers side rear break is seized? OR does it mean nothing as that is exactly what I was supposed to find?

HELP HELP HELP

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

could you spin the drivers side wheel? (you will need to have both wheels in the air or the car in Neutral) if the brake is sticking you will have trouble spinning it, I doubt that will be ur issue tho, sounds like you got drama's on the passenger side.

Either get another person to check it out as well or if you use a mechanic get them to have a quick look.

BTW if you do need to change a wheel bearing, do it properley and do both sides :)

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Sweet, going round to a mates house, his little brother is a mechanic, going to jack it up an a trolley jack and see what's going on under the car... shall be interesting no doubt.

Will post up findings later.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Can the vibration be felt on the shifter? its common that the extension casing bush wears on the transmission. When they are worn it can cause the front of the drive shaft to vibrate a little but its normally over 80km/h.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Well it's not the wheel bearings, got the trolley jack under it and sent her sky highe, and it was a definate no. One mechanic, two home mechanics and myself all believe it's not the wheel bearings.

Whih in a way is a pin, as now I'm back to wondering what it is. There was a noticable noise comeing from the driving wheel when we spun the rears, nothing major, but did raise the question of wether the pad is seated properly, though we didn't have time to gank the wheel off and check.

So it seems I amy spen the next day removing a wheel and seeing if the break pad is sitting properly... not a happy camper.

P.S there is no vibration in the shifter.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

this might sound stewbit but it might be a tyre wall the belts in the wall could be coming lose . and making a winding sound. get a lend of a set of wheels and try it .you have nothing to loose

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

handbrake shoes touching drum?
this is what's going on with mine, it s**t me but im too lazy to fix it!

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
handbrake shoes touching drum?
this is what's going on with mine, it s**t me but im too lazy to fix it!

What would be the best way of checking if this is the problem?

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i don't know i haven't pulled it apart yet to see but if i pull the handbrake up slightly while driving it'll go away once released.
i'm thinking it's touching while the handbrake is fully released, so i could possibly only need to adjust it.
if not and i pull it apart to find the shoes are worn, i'll do them too.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

id say your caliper is ceased or something?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next