Driving around Town... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

Razor7107 wrote:
do you get faster acceleration from standing stop when using 123D or just leaving it in drive? this has always confused and bothered me.

keeping in mind i have a shift kit

not really. the computer is still gonna decide when to change the gear, theres about a second or so lag when u change the lever to when it changes so yeh, unless you can time it right, or have a large cam that wants to rev pass 5500RPM (mine hits that easily with econ off and just foot to the floor) then you will probably be slower

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

If you are starting from a complete stop then IMO its pointless to shift 1-2-3-D because when your are stopped it goes to first anyway. Mine gets up to 75km/h before a 2nd gear change lol. ( also have a shift kit)

But im lazt and have it D uless im fanfing through the hills, thats when ill dump it into 2nd and a bit of brake before a cornerto slow the car or if i know the auto will change to 2nd in a up hill corner.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

well some of my mates say they are find it faster when using 123D, rather then just Drive, but they dont have shiftkits, and shiftkits give you an extra 5-10km/h in each gear...

some of them even start from a standing stop in 3rd for some reason :/

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

im a man, so i drive a manual :cool:

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

Razor7107 wrote:
well some of my mates say they are find it faster when using 123D, rather then just Drive, but they dont have shiftkits, and shiftkits give you an extra 5-10km/h in each gear...

some of them even start from a standing stop in 3rd for some reason :/

do shift kits actually give you more speed? i thought 6's had a limiter at around 5700RPM? mine goes to 5500 under hard acceleration, 5-10k's itd be bouncin off the limiter.

as for starting in 3rd from a complete stop, same s**t as drive, either way its gonna start off in 1st.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

IIRC, the way the auto transmission works is...

if you dont have it in D, say you have it set to 2 - it will only allow the car to use the gears 1 and 2

and if you have it set to 3 - it will make use of 1,2 and 3.

however that being said, even if you have it set on 2 - it does not change it to 2nd, it will still determine which is the best gear to use out of its choices (1 and 2) and change as it sees fit

changing the auto gear selection manually does allow it to rev higher than normal, ie putting it in 2nd will force it to rev as high as it can in second before it hits the rev limiter, and obviously if you had it on second and had the car revved upto 4500 and changed the auto to '3' its going to decide 3rd is the best possible choice out of 1,2 and 3 and change it to 3rd gear.

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

Gaz wrote:
as for starting in 3rd from a complete stop, same s**t as drive, either way its gonna start off in 1st.

exactly...

and yes u do get a little more speed out of each gear.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

nv8351 wrote:
-clampy- wrote:
ur clutch fan is probably buggered nv..

yeh i tihnk 3rd uses less moving parts(like 4th in a manual) so thats why its better. its 1:1 ratio.
no obvious signs of problem with fan any idea how i could be sure of its condition. cheers clampy

i guess i should have said why i think its the fan.. a) coz they do go often. and b) because when its hot its supposed to get tighter n cause more friction, and it should cool pretty well at idle(coz it may well be spinning at nearly engine speed) and as the engine revs pick up the fan speed sohuldnt change so much(since its got a certain drag on it by pushing air etc).. but if it isnt working as well, then its not causing as much friction between the motor and the fan so the fan isnt spinning fast enough. as revs pick up the fan spins faster since theres not enough friction from pushing air to keep its speed constant(ie its not being pushed hard neough by the viscous hub) aswell which could be why running around in 3rd means its cooler (mroe engine revs).

side point, do you have a tranny cooler? if not, get one. get heaps more life from the box if you have a cooler. even a basic/small one

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Razor7107 wrote:
Gaz wrote:

exactly...

and yes u do get a little more speed out of each gear.

unless ur in limp home mode :) but its suprising how easy it is to not notice when the tranny is taking off in 3rd.. i took off once(when i had an eb v8 auto) and wondered why the shifts were suddenly so smooth and why it didnt feel as punchy off the line.. then it never shifted into 4th. ah huh!! still, it took me a minute :)

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2