Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Drop Spindles
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

Anyone got them in there falcon?
Any trouble with them, what brakes do you run?

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:05 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

you chould be able to run your standard brakes. did not know they were availbel for falcons

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

get in touch with the castlemaine rod shop

Banned

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Correct me if im wrong, but dont these just allow you to lower your car further while keeping a reasonable spring travel? Yet Super lows are around the legal limit, and can create problems with kerbs, speed humps, pebbles, and then theres still ultralows below that? If you want any lower than that, I think youre crazy. But if you do, you need to post up some pictures :lol:

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Rito heres the deal.

I got them for my xf falcon i'm building (very slowly)
The reason i asked about the brakes is because they use a hq stub axle and therefore you need to run the hq calipers.

I'm planning just to use the standard calipers (reco'd) with slotted rotars and top of the line pads. Rodshop recons they will stop better than a standard xf if i follow this.

Some scary calculations to entice you:
Measurements to under the sills behind the front wheel

Standard height: 220mm

King spring lows: 170mm (uprated spring tension on standard as well as ride height change)
King spring super lows: 155mm
Pedders ultra lows: 120mm (these springs are not available any more, there 15 years old)

Custom springs i had made up about a year ago from whole sale suspension in penrith NSW: 95mm

Now with a 2" drop spindle (about 58mm, i know its not a true 2" but its close) the car should sit at about 38mm.

This height will be great for shows and photos but not so good for driving, considing the wheels will be in the front gaurds by about 4"

What do you reckon guys?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I reckon its higly illegal, dangerous, and mildly stupid, bvut I still want to see photos :P

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Maybe stupid, only illegal if i put those extra low springs in.
The reason i'm doing it is to have a nice looking ride height (legal ride height) and still be able to throw the car through twisty stuff and not have to worry about bump steer, bottoming out, killing shocks, wearing out ball joints, putting extra presure on the steering and costing me more money in the long run to have a nice ride height.

I'm at the point of getting the hq rotars redrilled with the ford stub pattern.

I'm still deciding on a rear end solution.

I will get the leaf springs reset to the height i will drive the car at daily and get lowering blocks made by a friend (an engineer) to match the lower springs.
I'm stuck now with either trying to adapt a swaybar or use 2 adjustable pan hard rods going to where the front of the leafs mount.

I will post pictures of the finished product when it is complete, i wont show any progress photos untill the whole lot is done. Could still be a couple of months and the car will not be painted by then so i'm not sure if i will show it untill it is painted.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

maybe use the drop spindles and some low springs... as u may have ground clearance issues..

umm XF have coil springs not leaf.

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Coil springs under a wagons a**e, i'd love to see that!!!
Would be very nice if i did have coil springs in the back.
I'll run lower springs to get the ground clearance right, when cruising it has to be legal anyway.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Pane wrote:
Pedders ultra lows: 120mm (these springs are not available any more, there 15 years old)

Pretty sure I have a set of those somewhere, like new with less than 5000kms on them, f**k useless springs, have to cut the bump stop and you will have problems with just driving over the camber on some roads, I got stuck on a dirt road I was trying to drive slow up.

If you are interested I can have a look if I still have them.

Pedders Rockhampton fitted them in about November 94, I didn't have time to scratch myself so they fitted everything, springs, short sports shocks front (meant for a bloody 4WD), 4WD sports rear shocks (matching shock) bastards to put in with reset leaf springs (wagon) as the gas pressure is high, camber kits and very aggressive wheel alignment. Handled awesome, looked awesome, to hard to drive everywhere with height and I would have ended up have body cracks from jarring as it had very little suspension travel, not good driving on central QLD roads back in 94-95.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Yea thats a major problem with springs that ow in an xd-xf. Even the king spring super lows do the same thing. Thats why i'm putting the drop spindles in.
What camber kit did you get?
Cutting the bump stops down half way helped but they still bottom out. The shocks i've got from pedders are the lowered shocks that are ment to go with those springs but i reckon there just s**t. I just use them when the lower springs are in the car, if they get f**k*d i dont care.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]