Fordmods Logo

E-Series Big Brake Options - RBS 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: E-Series Big Brake Options - RBS
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Some might have realised I've been looking at big brake upgrades for my EF recently. Just thought I'd post up some other options besides the Cebco and MR-SPARES/UPC/Tony(eBay) kits that seem to the best known, which I have come accross.

A fella named FLOORED on the other dark side forum of Australian Ford's, works for RBS (Race Brake Sydney), and from what I can gather they have taken over Cebco, but also offer some of their own products.

[QUOTE=FLOORED]we do the E series upgrades in 2 piston kits and have sold many of these with great success and we use a new AU11 Ford caliper not a Commodore one.We can also do 4 piston kits as well and brake pads are available in anything from Ferodo to EBC, Hawk and SBS.
Here are our Ford forum member specials
2 piston 330mm kits from $1990 ( no offset change and 1 piece dba slotted rotor)
4 Piston caliper on a 1 piece 330mm rotor $3500 AP Calipers
4 piston caliper on a 2 piece 343mm rotor $4000 AP Calipers
Also - The E Series twin piston 330mm brake kit made to move the wheel out 35mm from the current std offset will cost $2600
You can find the special and the listing on this thread link
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11226310&page=1[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound bad. The cheap kit retains E-series offset, or AU-onwards offset is avaliable at extra cost.

Personally, I'm not intent on getting the 4 piston 343mm kit.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

sounds like the cebco el gt kit but a bit cheaper

Nicko

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

The Mr Spares Kit on E-Bay just went for $821 but the offsets he is quoting is a bit hard to understand.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Post subject: brakes
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I wouldnt trust a UPC kit at all, i contacted 1 of the sellers from his ebay feedback and the response was not positive at all.

RBS has very good products and knows his stuff, if i end up building another e series ill definatly be getting him to sort out brakes front and rear for me.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: brakes
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

MICKYYYY wrote:
I wouldnt trust a UPC kit at all, i contacted 1 of the sellers from his ebay feedback and the response was not positive at all.

You mean one of the buyers?

what did he say?

Post subject: brakes
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

he mentioned a few htings but i carnt recal exactly what he said and i just had a look at my ebay messages but dont have his reply.

But it wasent positive feedback.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Nicko wrote:
sounds like the cebco el gt kit but a bit cheaper

I thought so too, but he says it isn't. It's a few mm larger diameter than the Cebco kits too, and cheaper as you say.
He can do with with DBA rotors, but the pads for the AP calipers are still an issue to source (not that common) - but I was checking out some of the AP calipers at Autocraft down here today, and they're beastly, I have to get em now!

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef xr falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi, would presume a min 17" wheel would be needed for this upgrade kit ? :?

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

We just bought these from UPC. We got the whole lot, front rotors, 2 pot PBR calipers, caliper spacers, hubs, bearings, seals, rear rotors, rear pads and braided lines for $1225 after the refund on our old uprights. We are very happy with the purchase as we are having billet wheels from Billet Specialties (Vintec style) machined to the exact backspace that we need to fit the rims and tyres into our EL wheel wells.

MICKYYYY wrote:
he mentioned a few htings but i carnt recal exactly what he said and i just had a look at my ebay messages but dont have his reply.

But it wasent positive feedback

As far as I have read in the various forums the main criticism of this product is the weird offset. And it is true, these front rotors I have leave the hub face 20mm wider each side than stock. It is important to realise though that to put the rim and tyre of a wheel equal width as stock into the wheel well at the same place relative to the guards you need to add the original offset (+6mm) to the difference (+20mm) And since this company do a set of E series 330mm rotors that is 28mm wider than stock, when you add the original +6mm you end up within 2mm of AU offset. The company reckons that 8 inch AU rims fit a treat.

We reckon that billet wheels are the way to go though. The choice of backspace (and therefore offset) is paramount to a good fit given the position of the hub face; also the exchange rate is great at the moment and the savings of this kit over the others (and I'm certainly not knocking the other brands mentioned in this thread) will pay for at least one of my most excellent rims

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Last edited by Craney on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:12 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

txrev6 wrote:
Hi, would presume a min 17" wheel would be needed for this upgrade kit ? :?

Yes, a 17" is the minimum required.

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

UPC - MR-SPARES 330mm Brake Kit Fitting Pics

Kit Comes with Brand New ABS Ring, New Studs
& New Billet Steel Hubs with New Wheel bearings

Kit Comes with Brand New Upper Ball Joint

Kit Comes with Brand New Braided Hose Lines

Kit Comes with Brand New Lower Ball Joint

Fitted and Ready for the Wheels

Had to get a wheel alignement after Brake Kit was fitted as it had massive toe out - but all good now

And the Money Shot - UPC MR-Spares 330mm Brake Kit

Picked the entire Kit up for Under $1,000

Alternative Kit with correct offset is $2,000 so if you are worried about the offest then you can sell your current wheels on your car, use the $1,000 you save on the kit and get BRAND SPANKING NEW WHEELS :)

Like i Did :)

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Crane wrote:

We just bought these from UPC. We got the whole lot, front rotors, 2 pot PBR calipers, caliper spacers, hubs, bearings, seals, rear rotors, rear pads and braided lines for $1225 after the refund on our old uprights. We are very happy with the purchase as we are having billet wheels from Billet Specialties (Vintec style) machined to the exact backspace that we need to fit the rims and tyres into our EL wheel wells.

Doesnt the use of custom billet wheels defeat the purpose of cost saving on this brake kit?

Crane wrote:
As far as I have read in the various forums the main criticism of this product is the weird offset. And it is true, these front rotors I have leave the hub face 20mm wider each side than stock. It is important to realise though that to put the rim and tyre of a wheel equal width as stock into the wheel well at the same place relative to the guards you need to add the original offset (+6mm) to the difference (+20mm) And since this company do a set of E series 330mm rotors that is 28mm wider than stock, when you add the original +6mm you end up within 2mm of AU offset. The company reckons that 8 inch AU rims fit a treat.

Thats all well and good but now you need to buy different offset wheels for the rear, and that ruins the 2nd hand market further defeating the purpose of the cost savings in the first place.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Get different ofsett for the rear, cool, fit a set of drag ET's to them. Then you have fronts and rears to match for the road or the track
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

MADXF wrote:
Crane wrote:

Doesnt the use of custom billet wheels defeat the purpose of cost saving on this brake kit?

Crane wrote:

Thats all well and good but now you need to buy different offset wheels for the rear, and that ruins the 2nd hand market further defeating the purpose of the cost savings in the first place.

The cost savings on the UPC kit was the only way I could then justify the cost of billet wheels, which arent to bad when compared to the only local product that I know of that has a custom offset, the ROH three piece.

Oh yeah, we are definitely having different offset on the rear, different offset, different width and different diameter. And as for the second hand value, I hadn't really considered it as I will never be selling.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I think you misread, or I mistyped...

The 2nd hand bit was referring to purchasing wheels, not selling the car.

How much are the billet wheels costing? if you dont mind me asking.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next