Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: E Series BTR Auto question
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Hey again guy's,

I've tried searching and found some good info on BTR Auto Transmission Band Adjustments for the EL (car is actually a DL) transmission, but mainly for problems much worse than mine, I'm only looking for a bit of advise/direction as it isn't really a problem, it's most likely there due to age and the fact it's nearly done 300,000km's.

When the Transmission is in drive the car doesn't really need too much of a hill before it starts to roll back, when in Reverse and pointing the car the otherwise up a hill it doesn't slip and feels like it's brand new if you get what I mean. It also slips a tiny bit when going from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd.

I'll very soon be putting new fluid and a filter into the trans, but when I do, I was wondering if adjusting the band's might stop the slight slippage and rolling back down a hill in Drive, or if I should be looking at something else. Like most people on this forum, Transmission's aern't my fortae, but I'm eager to have a look, play, and learn.

Thanks for looking :)

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Post subject: Re: E Series BTR Auto question
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

There are no band adjustments for the EF onwards 4sp auto boxes.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

sounds like the auto in my eb atm it wont shift gears when on the loud pedal you have to take your foot off b4 it changes, and when takeing off front a stop it needs to get to about 3000rpm b4 the gear engages like it has a stallie.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
There are no band adjustments for the EF onwards 4sp auto boxes.

Hence why I'm asking the question, according to my EF/EL Max Ellery workshop manual you can....

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cozza88 wrote:
sounds like the auto in my eb atm it wont shift gears when on the loud pedal you have to take your foot off b4 it changes, and when takeing off front a stop it needs to get to about 3000rpm b4 the gear engages like it has a stallie.

That sound's very much like a Formula BMW Race car rather than a road car...

Mine doesn't require racing gear changes where you need to take your foot off the pedal and then quickly put it back on, mine changes gears perfectly fine, whether it's cruising or accelerating hard.

It just slips a tiny bit going between gears and rolls back a little too easily when the transmission is in Drive, hence why I was asking if a band tension check was the way to go.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:05 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

as above.. the ef/el/au ect btr's bands are not externally adjustable, they are pre set when assembled..
where the ea-ed btr have external adjustment..

have you checked the fluid level??
maybe the clutches and bands are just worn out..

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

if you havent serviced it in a while definatly do it and get the proper fluid, and do a full flush,
i also put in a lucas additive into my worn out trans and it helped a lot compared to a standard fluid change, its about $19 a bottle from supercheap and its thick red stuff, not sure what any body else think of the additives but it worked for me

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

according to my woshop manual you can adjust the bands but only while the pan is off, there isnt much of an adjustment that you can do but i suppose it is worth a shot. according to the mechanic i had mine serviced by he said 9 times out of 10 a band adjustment of a high km box isnt worth the hastle but if it has been treated right and hasnt been dropping black lines on every corner all it's life it should be fine to adjust, but if you still have troubles after getting it serviced or it ends up worse a recon box may be the way to go, im allready saveing up to convert mine to a manual, ive had 4 auto cars in the last 3 years and ive had problems with all there boxes, which is why im going back to a manual, pus i have a tendency to drive with a slightly heavy foot.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

Check your oil in the tranny make sure threes no leaks and make sure there is enough oil in her. And when you do the service fill the transmission full then put the bolt/plug in. Then make sure wheel ( rear wheels preferably all wheels) are off the ground then start her up and go through the gears, run It for a min or so then open up the plug again and fill it up again. I serviced my girlfriends tranny about a month or so ago and it was like having a stall but with out having to brake it ( only did it when it was cold) problem was I didn't fill her enough didn't go through the gears so just jacked her back up after a week put more oil then was like brand new again :)

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]