Fordmods Logo

EA manual into AU auto 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EA manual into AU auto
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU1

NSW, Australia

Hey guys i just purchased a manual conversion kit for my au im pretty sure its out of an EA it comes with:

-GEARBOX

- BELL HOUSING

- PEDDLE BOX

- FLY WHEEL

- CROSS MEMBERS

- ALL BOLTS

- SHIFTER

- SANDWICH PLATE

will all the parts fit straight in or are there some differences between the EA and AU?
is there anything else i will need to do the swap other then the computer and is there a way i can use the auto computer? thanks, Josh

Post subject: Re: EA manual into AU auto
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Ea manual gear box is shorter than the au one which means the shifter sits too far forward

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:44 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

as above, if its an ea to el box it will be 2" shorter than the au t5 box and the shift will be too far forward..
the pedal box is different, the bellhousing will fit but 4 of the lower bolts wont line up..
the ea flywheel and cluch will fit but is a smaller clutch than the au, sound like a dead loss if its an ea t5 conversion..

what makes you think its from a ea??

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
as above, if its an ea to el box it will be 2" shorter than the au t5 box and the shift will be too far forward..
the pedal box is different, the bellhousing will fit but 4 of the lower bolts wont line up..
the ea flywheel and cluch will fit but is a smaller clutch than the au, sound like a dead loss if its an ea t5 conversion..

The guy I bought it off has written on the add t5 conversion to suit ford ea-au I talked on the phone to him and he said he modified the pedal box to fit the Ef he had it in so it should fit the au as for the length Of the gearbox he didn't say anything but he assures me it will fit in my au I think he said it's out of a ea but seems reluctant to tell me exactly what model car it's from Im not sure if he even knows :-/

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
Sounds like the guy is telling tales. AU is very very different.

Looks that way at this stage I'm going to pick it up on Sunday so I guess I'll see then maybe he's rigged something up to fit it into the au is the only difference the 50mm difference in the shifters position or is there others?

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
Cross member wont line up either, it'll be 50mm out too.

I guess you'll need a custom tail shaft to suit?

The Conversion comes with the tail shaft hmm sounds like it becoming more trouble then it's worth I may have a e series manual conversion for sale on here in a few days by the looks of this :-/

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
Cross member wont line up either, it'll be 50mm out too.

I guess you'll need a custom tail shaft to suit?

The Conversion comes with the tail shaft hmm sounds like it becoming more trouble then it's worth I may have a e series manual conversion for sale on here in a few days by the looks of this :-/

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

It also comes with the cross member the guy said he's got the au shifter for it and that he's had it in a au before so I guess I'll do some measurements and stuff and if everything looks ok I'll put it in or have a go at it anyway thanks for your help guys appreciate it.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:49 pm 

NSW, Australia

you probably would be able to use the au auto cross member.( e series one is different)
you should be able to use the au auto tailshaft if its an ea box,(au auto is the same length as e series t5).
the 2 main issues would be where the shift will end up and wether or not you are willing to use the ea bellhousing,( lower bolts wont line up)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
you probably would be able to use the au auto cross member.( e series one is different)
you should be able to use the au auto tailshaft if its an ea box,(au auto is the same length as e series t5).
the 2 main issues would be where the shift will end up and wether or not you are willing to use the ea bellhousing,( lower bolts wont line up)

Oh yea that's good news then thanks I don't mind using the ea bellhousing I've heard before of people just leaving the 4 bolts out and not having any issues and I guess I'll just see where the shifter sits the guy said it comes with an au shifter so that may fix the issue with the differences on length I'll be doing the conversion in the next 2 weeks so Ill be sure to let you know how I go anyway. Again thanks for the advice appreciate it.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:17 am 

NSW, Australia

the main issue with the box being shorter and shift being forward, instead of the gear shift coming through the centre of the console hole it would be pretty close to coming through the coin tray at the front of the consol..lol

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
Sounds like the guy is telling tales. AU is very very different.

Yeah, AU pedal box is a different looking unit all to gether to EA to EL.

and the gear box would sit under the tunnel closer to the motor and a tail shaft would have to found to fit.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

mtb_2050 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

The guy I bought it off has written on the add t5 conversion to suit ford ea-au I talked on the phone to him and he said he modified the pedal box to fit the Ef he had it in so it should fit the au as for the length Of the gearbox he didn't say anything but he assures me it will fit in my au I think he said it's out of a ea but seems reluctant to tell me exactly what model car it's from Im not sure if he even knows :-/

off ebay? i seen that. told him it won't suit a AU. he called me a moron and said it would and i don't know what i'm talking about

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
a tail shaft would have to found to fit.

Tailshaft is the same..... EBII to AU is the same shaft...

Peddle box will be different....

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
mtb_2050 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

off ebay? i seen that. told him it won't suit a AU. he called me a moron and said it would and i don't know what i'm talking about

Haha full on wanker mate he told me he had done the conversion heaps of times before and that it will fit straight in so far ive found the pedal box is completley different so ive found a au pedal box which fits and the crossmember is completley different aswell the one i have from the auto box in it now is 50mm too far back, the only way i can see around this is move the cross member forward 50mm and drill the 4 holes in the floor and reinforce it with stainless steel plates. Any ideas anyone??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next