Fordmods Logo

EB2 V8 Auto Trans problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EB2 V8 Auto Trans problem
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia EB2 V8

New Zealand

First up let me say I've gone through the first 20 pages of this forum, didn't find an identical problem to mine but some were very similar.

Occasionally, when hot, my auto suddenly starts acting differently. It'll be working perfectly fine, then I'll come to a stop, go to take off again and it stays in each gear alot longer (kinda like power mode but way worse) and will not get in to 4th. It needs a good rev just to get from 2nd to 3rd. After a while it will just go back to normal.

This car has 90,000km on it and it normally has very smooth and instant gear changes.

- Speedo keeps working.
- Don't think i'm in limp home mode as I get gears other than 3rd.
- Doesn't flare into neutral between gears at all.
- When the problem is occurring, downshifts when slowing down make a noticable clunk. When the car is acting normally, these downshifts are barely noticable at all, no clunk.
- Oil level is fine but the oil would be old. Still has a red tint to it. Car has hardly been used for 2 to 3 years before I bought it.
- There is a small trans cooler in front of the radiator, doesn't seem to be boiling hot or anything.

Even before this started I planned on getting the transmission flushed and a new filter fitted. Now I'm wondering if there is something else that needs to be looked at?

Last edited by BorgWarner on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: EB2 V8 Auto Trans problem
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sounds like you could have a Solenoid problem. If you are taking it to a mechanic might be an idea to ask him to check them.

Post subject: Re: EB2 V8 Auto Trans problem
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia EB2 V8

New Zealand

From what I've read, my EB2 V8 should have a seperate ECU for the Transmission, located above the hand brake somewhere.

Is it possible to get error codes from this? Is there a different procedure to reading them as opposed to the engine ECU?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]