EBC Red Stuff Pads 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EBC Red Stuff Pads
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi guys just like to get more info. about EBC RED STUFF brake pads in a Ef-El single piston (std) front calipper.
The info. i am after is do they realy work ?
I know they need slotted discs etc.
At the moment i have DBA 4000 series slotted rotors & Bendix SRT's. Very happy with that combo
but next pad change i want to try the EBC Red Stuff.
Any info would be a great help.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Post subject: Re: EBC Red Stuff Pads
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I had EBC Redstuff (front) and Greenstuff (rear) on my EF XR6 wagon. They were good when new, but got worse with wear - and never really had good initial bite. Ended up colliding (lightly) with an SUV that cut across in front of me - a collision that would not have happened had the pad bitten properly.

Have changed both my XR6s over to QFM HPX pads and won't be changing back. The QFMs have great initial bite, excellent braking, easy on rotors, seem to be lasting OK, and don't produce much dust. And the QFMs are cheaper. The HPX friction material is actually larger (by about 4mm both ways) on the rear pads than EBC; didn't measure the fronts.

EBCs basically produce no visible dust at all, while QFMs make about a quarter of what a normal pad would produce, but wheel design seems to make a difference (ie, noticeable dust on the AU with about 35mm offset, none on the EF with about 5mm offset).

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thanks for that info efxr6wagon.
I will take that info on board. I have looked at the QFM range in the Auto Action mag.
Thay show you heat rang & specs, looks impressive.
Might give them a go :wink:

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

I think GSL rallysport do QFM's and racebrakes sydney definitely do. I was looking at a set but ran out of time and had to get some SRT's from the local shop.

They will be my next pad for sure.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I get mine from GSL Rallysport.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Lol thats funny bout the qfms, i noticed they dnt bite properly till they warm, plus produce heaps of dust!! Not to mention squeal really bad when coming to a stop, say pulling into a driveway. Its annoiying cOz i heard really good things about them as well but im not really impressed at all, ill prolly go to bendix ultimates next pad

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey Phil,

That IS strange. I have HPX on both my XR6s and they're great - especially on the AU (twin piston). Stops so hard you can lose the fillings from your teeth.

Are you sure yours are the HPX pads? They sound more like their A1RM compound - designed for some track use and higher temperatures - and they make a lot more dust.
http://qfm.com.au/page/6/Performance_Range

I very occasionally get a tiny squeal on the AU. But squeal is usually just vibration, which can be basically eliminated by smearing some copper grease on the back of the pads where they touch the pistons or caliper. You can buy special anti-squeal compounds that do the same thing - maybe better.

Sorry racer, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate, they are the hpx, cost me about 80 bux each. I think the qaulity varies though as I have mates who give the same feedback as you but then others who have issues

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:21 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thank you guys for all your input.
I have ordered the QFM HPX pads front & rears.
The QFM pads are very cheap. I paid $240 for the Bendix SRT's just for the fronts.
I love my car & spend alot of money on it but i just can't justify $480 on SRT's front & rears.
Maybe if i had 4 or 6 pot Brembo's then i will.
I will keep you posted as to what i think of these pads.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Sorry racer, I don't mean to hijack your thread.[/quote]

Not a problem efxr6wagon.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

EBC reds are a hard compound and, like the greens, need a bit of heat in them to brake effectively. Have the EBC Blacks on the mini with the 7.5 inch cooper brake disc's and I need to hold my foot on the brake for a few seconds to get the pads up to temperature.

The EB has QFM HPX on it and are a huge jump over bendix. The bendix pads can be very harsh on the disc also, wearing it very quickly with a bit of squeal and shudder as well. I paid $60 for fronts and $60 for the backs - no dust and the wear is fantastic. When installing, grab some of that orange caliper goop to put on the backs of the pads - you will never get chatter again in your brakes.

So far I have done 30000km on the HPX pads and they are down to 40 per cent while the discs are barely worn into. A word though - bin the cross drilled discs as they do nothing for performance and everything for wear and cracking(more a bling thing!!). Stick with DBA or RDA slotted only discs - more than enough to stop gas trapping between the disc and the pad and keeps the dust to nearly zero.

Hooroo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]