ED Falcon, A few queries 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: ED Falcon, A few queries
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I shall put FM expertise to work with my questions (of which some aren't related to driveline, etc, but most are close!!) and see how I fare! There needs to be a "general" forum, but I think most could help me with the off topic questions, and it's not a problem if you can't!

Well we should be picking up a second hand car that me and my brother can drive around, and on the test drive, I noticed a couple of problems.

1. The Gear shifter. This thing makes a "bonk" noise rather than the usuall "shluck" noise that the usual falcons do, and it also wobbles side to side, and generally feels like it's broken somewhere. What is the problem, and is there an easy way to fix it?
2. The brakes made a bit of howling as we backed out of the drive, it sounded like the rear right one. Is this rusting, low pads or worse?
3. When we popped the A/C on (whilst doing about 45) it made a grind noise, and the car slowed a touch until it freed up. Now, I just assumed that this is because the car would have been sitting, and it would have siezed a little. So I turned it off, and then back on, and it was right. It cooled down normally. Need I worry?
4. Where the pipe comes from the resonator, there sounds like there is a leak, I will post pics later (if we get it, 95% chance we will.) I'll ask in advance though, should it be fixed, as it isn't loud, just sounds like "putt putt putt"... If it should be fixed, is it as simple as going to a wrecker and getting another stock exhaust and welding it up?
5. The heat/sound shielding under the bonnet is coming off. Is this a problem? I know that there are a many cars that don't have it, but should I worry about anything?
6. The Power Steering pump makes the customary "I'm about to explode and die" noise when you turn the wheel at slow speeds. This one seems pretty obvious I guess, so maybe comment on it?
7. It has the radio with light up display (and IIRC only buttons, no knobs?) but I found the clock to be suitably dark, and inelligable. Is this right, or should it illuminate brightly? (We went for the drive at noon-ish).

As far as upgrades to this car, in the immediate future, I can see tires, maybe brakes if they are bad, and possible P/S pump. Because my brother just got his Ps, and I am yet to get my Ls, this car will have to stay pretty stock, which I think is good, because there are more than enough horsies under the bonnet.

Thanks all in advace for your input!

Post subject: Re: ED Falcon, A few queries
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

andrewts wrote:
I shall put FM expertise to work with my questions (of which some aren't related to driveline, etc, but most are close!!) and see how I fare! There needs to be a "general" forum, but I think most could help me with the off topic questions, and it's not a problem if you can't!

Well we should be picking up a second hand car that me and my brother can drive around, and on the test drive, I noticed a couple of problems.

1. The Gear shifter. This thing makes a "bonk" noise rather than the usuall "shluck" noise that the usual falcons do, and it also wobbles side to side, and generally feels like it's broken somewhere. What is the problem, and is there an easy way to fix it?
2. The brakes made a bit of howling as we backed out of the drive, it sounded like the rear right one. Is this rusting, low pads or worse?
3. When we popped the A/C on (whilst doing about 45) it made a grind noise, and the car slowed a touch until it freed up. Now, I just assumed that this is because the car would have been sitting, and it would have siezed a little. So I turned it off, and then back on, and it was right. It cooled down normally. Need I worry?
4. Where the pipe comes from the resonator, there sounds like there is a leak, I will post pics later (if we get it, 95% chance we will.) I'll ask in advance though, should it be fixed, as it isn't loud, just sounds like "putt putt putt"... If it should be fixed, is it as simple as going to a wrecker and getting another stock exhaust and welding it up?
5. The heat/sound shielding under the bonnet is coming off. Is this a problem? I know that there are a many cars that don't have it, but should I worry about anything?
6. The Power Steering pump makes the customary "I'm about to explode and die" noise when you turn the wheel at slow speeds. This one seems pretty obvious I guess, so maybe comment on it?
7. It has the radio with light up display (and IIRC only buttons, no knobs?) but I found the clock to be suitably dark, and inelligable. Is this right, or should it illuminate brightly? (We went for the drive at noon-ish).

As far as upgrades to this car, in the immediate future, I can see tires, maybe brakes if they are bad, and possible P/S pump. Because my brother just got his Ps, and I am yet to get my Ls, this car will have to stay pretty stock, which I think is good, because there are more than enough horsies under the bonnet.

Thanks all in advace for your input!

The gearshifter needs bushes in it to fix that prob.
The rear brakes may need overhauling if they are noisy, dragging.
Check the fan belts and their tensioner pulley bearings.
Get the exhaust replaced.
Just rip off the heat sheild on the bonnet.
The steering probably has a leak somewhere, so top it up till you fix it.
Put another stereo in it.

This vehicle sounds like its been sitting awhile.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'd say it has, but for $2000, it would make a reasonable unit to get from A to B somewhat unreliably, wouldn't it?

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I'd be doing a major service on it to help it get from A to B and C later on.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah, That'd be the plan. I think the first port of call would be the tire shop, and the front has a big negative camber (I think they used to tow with it, as it's got a Hayman Reece? towpack with the electronics and stuff) and the tires up front are down to the mesh, so we'll get new tires for it and see if we can get the camber sorted out.

No doubt there is going to be money spent on this, it comes with age.

I have to ask, should I grab a workshop manual to look through so I can understand what is required to get things done, or should I just ask in this thread? lol I am still learning mostly, and not all that mechanically minded, but I hope to build on it.

Cheers for your help cjh, I appreciate it.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FWIW, I have a sneaking suspicion that this car has been sitting for sale for about 9 months. I could be wrong, but it would make sense. Also, mum notice that when the hood was popped, the coolant overflow bottle's lid was off, and the fellow put the lid back on.

Would there be a reason for this?

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Got the car today. It has the log book, drives smoothly, there is very little transmission whine, and the aircon is ice cold. When doing 100km/h though, the car shudders a bit and the steering shakes, but I am guessing that is the wheels out of whack, and hence why the tires are so worn.

As for the stereo, when you put the lights on, the buttons light up and either side of the screen does, but the middle is dark.

I might just one day put the EL GL radio in, it has a good clear screen.

Attachments:
28-01-07_1057.JPG
28-01-07_1057.JPG [ 499.29 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]
28-01-07_1053.JPG
28-01-07_1053.JPG [ 775.05 KiB | Viewed 108 times ]
28-01-07_1052.JPG
28-01-07_1052.JPG [ 854.77 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:17 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

seems alright - but before you get new tyres, get a full suspension check done on it. Theres no reason a standard height falcon would have a camber problem. Only reasons would be - lower inner is worn, an arm is bent (very jard to do) or it has a massive toe out problem.

And the wheel shake would be as you said, and most likely the tyres. Although it could also be the front rotors may have a little bit of a warp in it. Does it get worse when you tap the brakes?

Good luck with it mate...

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cheers mate, the shuddering actually get worse when accelerating, but when braking it's no different.

I will mention the full suspension check to mum, because upon looking at it, the wheels had a pretty normal camber, so my brother must be just keeping me on my toes lol.

Thanks. I will have to take some proper photos of it when it is not in the garage, and I will use a camera, not a phone lol.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi

the second problem could be your hand brake mechanism..
maybe the return spring on the caliper is streached or the arm on the caliper is seizing up.. its fairly common on the ea to ed...
you can unbolt the arm on the back of the caliper and grease it up a little..

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That is entirely plausible mate, because as we ripped the baby from it's mummy, she mentioned to not pull it out too far, and that you have to let it right in before it comes off, as one of the guys who drove it was over-strong, and he pulled the brake pretty hard, and so yes, could have screwed the spring...

It didn't do too much howling today as we drove it ~55km back home, so we'll see how it fares, it's good to know that happens.

Cheers mate, I appreciate it.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, I have been looking at the car, and there is some paint missing and what looks like some surface rust on the edge of the bootlid (these things are to be expected). How should I treat that? Is it too late for nutra-rust? (sp?)

Also, is that oil on the rocker cover a problem at all, as it looks to be coming from areas surrounding the bolts. If it isn't a problem, I'll just leave it unless it would be better to remove it?

Also, there seems to be a flip noise or a ticking noise from the front of the car as it runs. This a problem?

I am being extremely cautious here, I wanna make this a good car!

P.S. Would these things be fixed with a major service?

Thanks!

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

A major service isn't to really fix anything, its a maintenence thing.
Major service isn't cheap, things get changed/replaced, like Diff oil, air filter, fuel filter, engine oil & filter, spark plugs, transmission oil, front wheel-bearing grease (& hub seals too), brake fluid, power steer fluid, and coolant, (see what condition the cooling system hoses are in & heater tap), replace t'stat.
I'd be careful about why ol' mate had the rad cap off for. Have a look under the exhaust manifold to see for coolant leaks, or corrosion of headgasket and welsh plugs.
How many K's has this thing got?
Keep the wheels, easy to clean, and you could put 235/60R15 tyres on it.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The car has 207,000kms, I'll go check for leakage when there is more light.

As for major service, I doubt all that is needed lol.

Cheers for putting up with my questions mate. :wink: :)

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Don't doubt nothing. If you get it done, you know its done. Nobody looks after cars, and the mechanics that are around these days, 80% of them would be grubs. Just money grabbing grubs.
You said it came with log books, has it been filled out much?
Have a look at the colour of the brake fluid, if its sort of a green colour, then it hasn't been changed. The Ford dealer replacement brake fluid is blue.
Don't take nothing for granted.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next