Fordmods Logo

ed rear upper and lower control arms 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: ed rear upper and lower control arms
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Ok , the rear upper and lower control arms bushes in my ed fairy and shot. i was having a look through the nolothane website and found they offer direct replacement control arms in both standard and heavy duty.

my question is do i go the heavy dutys or just stick with the standard. i ask this because i can get standards today but have to wait 2-3 weeks for heavy duty.

cheers

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:21 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

I'd say the standard would be stronger than the OEM ford ones.

Both standard and heavy dutys aftermarket ones are made of box section instead of pressed steel.

whats the price difference on the 2?

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
I'd say the standard would be stronger than the OEM ford ones.

Both standard and heavy dutys aftermarket ones are made of box section instead of pressed steel.

whats the price difference on the 2?


dont have a price comparison i only got quoted on hd's at 220 for the lowers and 200 for the uppers. ill give em a call now and get a price comparison between std and hd's

cheers for the reply

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

No price difference between the two :S might as well wait for the hd's

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

The Nolathane bushes turn to dust after about 2yrs, so do Pedders ones, I know this becuse it happened to me. I now have Superpro ones in there now and have been in there for about 3yrs. I used to work at a place that was a distributor for them, they don't turn to dust.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
The Nolathane bushes turn to dust after about 2yrs, so do Pedders ones, I know this becuse it happened to me. I now have Superpro ones in there now and have been in there for about 3yrs. I used to work at a place that was a distributor for them, they don't turn to dust.


Dunno why they turn to dust. Did you regrease the bushes as they recommend? Did you use the right grease on them?

I've had Nolethane in the rear of my EL for a year now and these is no sign of the bush deteriorating.

Oh, and nanna's, you have a PM. :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:38 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 264

Joined: 5th Jan 2007

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

Location: nowra, nsw
NSW, Australia

lithium grease + nolathane = far greater life than any rubber bush.
bushes turning to dust might represent another problem somewhere else causing a harsh vibration or something similar. nolathane bushes shouldn't deteriorate not lubed up.

 

_________________

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

I was replacing front end bushes on the EF XR6 Police cars under warranty, because the cracked & started to turn to dust.
Superpro don't use Moly-grease for their bushes, they have their own grease, which is white in colour and very good lube.
The Superpro ones have nurling inside their bushes too, to hold onto the grease. The others don't have this.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
I was replacing front end bushes on the EF XR6 Police cars under warranty, because the cracked & started to turn to dust.
Superpro don't use Moly-grease for their bushes, they have their own grease, which is white in colour and very good lube.
The Superpro ones have nurling inside their bushes too, to hold onto the grease. The others don't have this.


I would have thought every factory bush on EF and EL XR's had been replaced by now. They all have shat themselves for the same reasons.

After seeing a new bush from Ford Spares, the internal pin lacked any grease. Can see why they constantly failed.

Now considering Nolathane never made the factory Ford bushes, and BOTH Nolathane and Super Pro both use a polyurethane blend, I cant see how you can say Nolathane is s**t and Super Pro is good. They are the same stuff, and if the only correlation between Ford bushes and Nolathane is the fact they are both red, I do think your argument there is pretty weak.

Oh, and the Nolathane stuff I have put into my car recently all had something similar to this knurling on the inner bores.

Infact the only time I bought Super Pro bushes was when a set of front lowers was sold to me for my Ghia, and when I lined them up, the bush and crush tube was 8mm wider than the k-frame mount. Stupid mistakes like that put me off brands like Super Pro.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 2705

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Nannas_ed if your after replacment upper and lower control arms in Super Pro brand for half the price of Nolethane or several other Ford parts try this ebay store. They are in Ringwood, Melbourne and do trade from shop but have to call first. Details are in link below.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Ringwood-Auto ... idZ2QQtZkm
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
cjh wrote:
I was replacing front end bushes on the EF XR6 Police cars under warranty, because the cracked & started to turn to dust.
Superpro don't use Moly-grease for their bushes, they have their own grease, which is white in colour and very good lube.
The Superpro ones have nurling inside their bushes too, to hold onto the grease. The others don't have this.


I would have thought every factory bush on EF and EL XR's had been replaced by now. They all have shat themselves for the same reasons.

After seeing a new bush from Ford Spares, the internal pin lacked any grease. Can see why they constantly failed.

Now considering Nolathane never made the factory Ford bushes, and BOTH Nolathane and Super Pro both use a polyurethane blend, I cant see how you can say Nolathane is s**t and Super Pro is good. They are the same stuff, and if the only correlation between Ford bushes and Nolathane is the fact they are both red, I do think your argument there is pretty weak.

Oh, and the Nolathane stuff I have put into my car recently all had something similar to this knurling on the inner bores.

Infact the only time I bought Super Pro bushes was when a set of front lowers was sold to me for my Ghia, and when I lined them up, the bush and crush tube was 8mm wider than the k-frame mount. Stupid mistakes like that put me off brands like Super Pro.



The composition of the Poly-u that is used by Nolathane and Superpro are different, as well as how they are "cured".
I worked in a suspension joint, I pretty much saw it all, from cracked out Nolathane strut tops for the commodores, to heavily cracked bushes on radius arms of 80 series 'Cruisers.
I think they use a too harder compound for their bushes.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
arm79 wrote:
cjh wrote:
I was replacing front end bushes on the EF XR6 Police cars under warranty, because the cracked & started to turn to dust.
Superpro don't use Moly-grease for their bushes, they have their own grease, which is white in colour and very good lube.
The Superpro ones have nurling inside their bushes too, to hold onto the grease. The others don't have this.


I would have thought every factory bush on EF and EL XR's had been replaced by now. They all have shat themselves for the same reasons.

After seeing a new bush from Ford Spares, the internal pin lacked any grease. Can see why they constantly failed.

Now considering Nolathane never made the factory Ford bushes, and BOTH Nolathane and Super Pro both use a polyurethane blend, I cant see how you can say Nolathane is s**t and Super Pro is good. They are the same stuff, and if the only correlation between Ford bushes and Nolathane is the fact they are both red, I do think your argument there is pretty weak.

Oh, and the Nolathane stuff I have put into my car recently all had something similar to this knurling on the inner bores.

Infact the only time I bought Super Pro bushes was when a set of front lowers was sold to me for my Ghia, and when I lined them up, the bush and crush tube was 8mm wider than the k-frame mount. Stupid mistakes like that put me off brands like Super Pro.



The composition of the Poly-u that is used by Nolathane and Superpro are different, as well as how they are "cured".
I worked in a suspension joint, I pretty much saw it all, from cracked out Nolathane strut tops for the commodores, to heavily cracked bushes on radius arms of 80 series 'Cruisers.
I think they use a too harder compound for their bushes.


Red Ranger had long admitted that their original compounds were too hard and have since revised them. Long since revised them.

But a couple of interesting points, which you probably dont know.

1. The stiffness of the current Nolathane compound is slightly less than the stock bushes put into EF/EL's or of the same stiffness used in the bushes selected for the EL GT. Not overly hard at all I would say.

2. The stiffness of the compounds used in the Super Pro bushes is comparable to their Nolathane counterparts. With the exception of a number of their bushes being stiffer than Nolathanes hardest compound.

So while you might have a preferance for brands, it's not much reason to s**t on another brand without realising that in reality they are almost exactly the same. Something you saw 10 years ago changing bits and pieces under warranty doesnt really seem applicable now I would think.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:34 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 244

Joined: 29th Oct 2005

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

ehhh... i think urethane is crap. Rubber is better imho. Just look at all the old kingswoods that have F**k arms cause they used urethane
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 451

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

Does anyone have pics of these control arms?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 4967

Joined: 22nd Nov 2004

Location: FAR FAR AWAY LAND
QLD, Australia

BlownNc wrote:
Does anyone have pics of these control arms?
Stick your head under the back of your car and have a look..

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names