ed rear upper and lower control arms 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ed rear upper and lower control arms
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Ok , the rear upper and lower control arms bushes in my ed fairy and shot. i was having a look through the nolothane website and found they offer direct replacement control arms in both standard and heavy duty.

my question is do i go the heavy dutys or just stick with the standard. i ask this because i can get standards today but have to wait 2-3 weeks for heavy duty.

cheers

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'd say the standard would be stronger than the OEM ford ones.

Both standard and heavy dutys aftermarket ones are made of box section instead of pressed steel.

whats the price difference on the 2?

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
I'd say the standard would be stronger than the OEM ford ones.

Both standard and heavy dutys aftermarket ones are made of box section instead of pressed steel.

whats the price difference on the 2?

dont have a price comparison i only got quoted on hd's at 220 for the lowers and 200 for the uppers. ill give em a call now and get a price comparison between std and hd's

cheers for the reply

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No price difference between the two :S might as well wait for the hd's

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The Nolathane bushes turn to dust after about 2yrs, so do Pedders ones, I know this becuse it happened to me. I now have Superpro ones in there now and have been in there for about 3yrs. I used to work at a place that was a distributor for them, they don't turn to dust.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
The Nolathane bushes turn to dust after about 2yrs, so do Pedders ones, I know this becuse it happened to me. I now have Superpro ones in there now and have been in there for about 3yrs. I used to work at a place that was a distributor for them, they don't turn to dust.

Dunno why they turn to dust. Did you regrease the bushes as they recommend? Did you use the right grease on them?

I've had Nolethane in the rear of my EL for a year now and these is no sign of the bush deteriorating.

Oh, and nanna's, you have a PM. :D

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

lithium grease + nolathane = far greater life than any rubber bush.
bushes turning to dust might represent another problem somewhere else causing a harsh vibration or something similar. nolathane bushes shouldn't deteriorate not lubed up.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I was replacing front end bushes on the EF XR6 Police cars under warranty, because the cracked & started to turn to dust.
Superpro don't use Moly-grease for their bushes, they have their own grease, which is white in colour and very good lube.
The Superpro ones have nurling inside their bushes too, to hold onto the grease. The others don't have this.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
I was replacing front end bushes on the EF XR6 Police cars under warranty, because the cracked & started to turn to dust.
Superpro don't use Moly-grease for their bushes, they have their own grease, which is white in colour and very good lube.
The Superpro ones have nurling inside their bushes too, to hold onto the grease. The others don't have this.

I would have thought every factory bush on EF and EL XR's had been replaced by now. They all have shat themselves for the same reasons.

After seeing a new bush from Ford Spares, the internal pin lacked any grease. Can see why they constantly failed.

Now considering Nolathane never made the factory Ford bushes, and BOTH Nolathane and Super Pro both use a polyurethane blend, I cant see how you can say Nolathane is s**t and Super Pro is good. They are the same stuff, and if the only correlation between Ford bushes and Nolathane is the fact they are both red, I do think your argument there is pretty weak.

Oh, and the Nolathane stuff I have put into my car recently all had something similar to this knurling on the inner bores.

Infact the only time I bought Super Pro bushes was when a set of front lowers was sold to me for my Ghia, and when I lined them up, the bush and crush tube was 8mm wider than the k-frame mount. Stupid mistakes like that put me off brands like Super Pro.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Nannas_ed if your after replacment upper and lower control arms in Super Pro brand for half the price of Nolethane or several other Ford parts try this ebay store. They are in Ringwood, Melbourne and do trade from shop but have to call first. Details are in link below.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Ringwood-Auto ... idZ2QQtZkm

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
cjh wrote:

I would have thought every factory bush on EF and EL XR's had been replaced by now. They all have shat themselves for the same reasons.

After seeing a new bush from Ford Spares, the internal pin lacked any grease. Can see why they constantly failed.

Now considering Nolathane never made the factory Ford bushes, and BOTH Nolathane and Super Pro both use a polyurethane blend, I cant see how you can say Nolathane is s**t and Super Pro is good. They are the same stuff, and if the only correlation between Ford bushes and Nolathane is the fact they are both red, I do think your argument there is pretty weak.

Oh, and the Nolathane stuff I have put into my car recently all had something similar to this knurling on the inner bores.

Infact the only time I bought Super Pro bushes was when a set of front lowers was sold to me for my Ghia, and when I lined them up, the bush and crush tube was 8mm wider than the k-frame mount. Stupid mistakes like that put me off brands like Super Pro.

The composition of the Poly-u that is used by Nolathane and Superpro are different, as well as how they are "cured".
I worked in a suspension joint, I pretty much saw it all, from cracked out Nolathane strut tops for the commodores, to heavily cracked bushes on radius arms of 80 series 'Cruisers.
I think they use a too harder compound for their bushes.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
arm79 wrote:
cjh wrote:

The composition of the Poly-u that is used by Nolathane and Superpro are different, as well as how they are "cured".
I worked in a suspension joint, I pretty much saw it all, from cracked out Nolathane strut tops for the commodores, to heavily cracked bushes on radius arms of 80 series 'Cruisers.
I think they use a too harder compound for their bushes.

Red Ranger had long admitted that their original compounds were too hard and have since revised them. Long since revised them.

But a couple of interesting points, which you probably dont know.

1. The stiffness of the current Nolathane compound is slightly less than the stock bushes put into EF/EL's or of the same stiffness used in the bushes selected for the EL GT. Not overly hard at all I would say.

2. The stiffness of the compounds used in the Super Pro bushes is comparable to their Nolathane counterparts. With the exception of a number of their bushes being stiffer than Nolathanes hardest compound.

So while you might have a preferance for brands, it's not much reason to s**t on another brand without realising that in reality they are almost exactly the same. Something you saw 10 years ago changing bits and pieces under warranty doesnt really seem applicable now I would think.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:34 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ehhh... i think urethane is crap. Rubber is better imho. Just look at all the old kingswoods that have F**k arms cause they used urethane

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Does anyone have pics of these control arms?

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

BlownNc wrote:
Does anyone have pics of these control arms?
Stick your head under the back of your car and have a look..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next