Fordmods Logo

ef auto reving when in first now and then 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ef auto reving when in first now and then
Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ef that revs in first but doesnt go anywhere then slams into gear, whats causing this and whats the cost for repairing it, or do i just get a s/h from wreckers
thanks

Post subject: Re: ef auto reving when in first now and then
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Only when on a cold star? Check your fluid level....

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

if it's a EF with a dip stick you start it. run it through the gears first (R,D,R,D) doesn't sound like it'll pick up much though. then put into park and check it while running on level ground.

if it's a EF without a dip stick there is a fill plug on the DS of the gear box. same gear running through procedure but you fill it until it runs out.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 95 mont

QLD, Australia

I had the same prob with the auto in my ef earlier this year, happened cold and hot, gear box is probably still salvageable, dont know exactly what the cause is but i think is on it way out, read on for what happened to mine and my wallet.

Fluid was always full and car serviced regularly, would be at the lights and put the foot down and nothing but revs, then a few secs later it would kick into gear, then it would happen just driving down the road, eventually; about two weeks later it got so bad it was dangerous to drive, not being very mechanically minded I drove it straight to the mechanics and they ended up taking the auto out; cleaning all the crap out, (unbelievable amount of metal filings and god knows what else), changed/ cleaned the filters and seals, completely changed all the oil, (apparently when you get your car serviced they can only change half the oil, so a lot of crap gathers at the bottom), So all up had no car for 2 days and cost about $1000.00. This seems to have fixed the problem for now; though its not a proper fix, hopefully it will last till I sell the thing! I think when the auto starts playing up like this it is the beginning of the end.

This my first post on fordmods so, sorry if a bit long winded, hope this helps at least a little hopefully you wont have to go through what I did with mine, would like to know how it all pans out for ya, good luck.

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef xr falcon

NSW, Australia

I have similar problem with my EFXR,between 1st and 2nd,the auto takes too long change down ,if you hit the throttle before it engages 1st,its in like a nuetral position so the revs go up then the auto decides to go back up and because the revs are up it bangs back into 2nd and gets sidways if your still giving it throttle.
It can be fun ,and scarey back gets reely loose,but sure its not doing the auto much good.
Oil levels always been good ,had s5 soanoid replaced serviced etc etc. It happens on kick down in low gear also,but otherwise auto runs great. No one seems to know cause and believe rebuild only solution.
Which is on list,but seeing lo ks 154k im not prepared to spend the bucks yet. The autos had this prob since i had the car 54k ago,so i drive car accordingly.
If anyone knows cause would love to know!!!!
Sorry for the long story....Trev :roll:

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

mine was much the same but

Last edited by Falcon_92_EB on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:31 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

just had mine repaired 3 solenoids replaced $650 later all is like new

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]