Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef diff upgrade!!
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL2 xr8

VIC, Australia

G'day everyone,
I'm only new to fordmods so dont kill me, I'm sure there is a post or info in regards to diffs on an ef fairmont.
I want to change my 3.23(standard) diff to a complete EL 3.45 Diff.
I have a chance to buy a 3.45 el diff pretty cheap, so I just wanna make sure it will actually fit before buying it? I already have a "22grey speed transducer" aswell, is that all I need for this upgrade and will my standard ecu work with it? or is there other parts/ bits to add?? (tickford ecu etc)
Thanks heaps guys, any feed back would be awesome!! :)
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Ef diff upgrade!!
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef falon + xk falcon

QLD, Australia

hey i did the same thing ( el diff into ef futura) and yeah for what i remember it was just the diff to change and the speedo sender i never changed ecu or anything like that

i hate it when its raining, makes my left foot slip off the clutch all the time

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Yeah no worries, I did some research and all it said was that the speedo transducer only needs to be swapped! Thanks for the help.. :)

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Actually I thought I would ask,
Should this fit into my standard 3.23 diff, and have the same outcome as opposed to a complete 3.45 diff? I have an ok understand of how it works but not completely.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewi ... 3030663162

I only ask because transporting a complete 3.45 diff to a mechanic to have fitted is going to be a pain in the backside as I do not have a ute or tow ball for trailer etc.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!!
Cheers :)

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I converted my 3.08 diff to 3.45 and noticed SFA difference - it did NOT change the ratio enough for very much improvement off the line and didn't change engine / roadspeed relationship at traffic speeds quite enough to make manual 3rd unnecessary any more. It DID make extra load in the car have less impact on performance.

You'll see even less change from 3.23 to 3.45

What I'm coming to is that if you can grab a COMPLETE diff assy for cheap and biff her in then that's probably worth doing because it's cheap and straight forward. BUT - if you're looking at buggering about just changing over the centre then do yourself a huge favor and go straight for 3.7 or 3.9 or maybe even 4.11 - then you'll see a DECENT inprovement in response and off the line performance.

People who reckon going from 3.08 or 3.23 to 3.45 kills the pig are delusional.

The BEST option is actually to forget all about the diff and for a total price of maybe $700 just get a hi stall converter fitted - like I've said before, to use the parallel of riding a pushy - a high stall converter is like being able to stand up on the pedals when before you just couldn't do that. Lower diff ratio is like putting larger cog on the back or smaller cog on the front, but without the stally you still can't stand up on the pedals...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The 3.45 diff imo will make a noticable difference with an auto box.

Bare in mind you also need upper control arms and hand brake cables when installing the EL diff into the EF.

The speedo sender unit will adjust the speedo to the correct speed.

The current ECU has been mapped to alter gears at certain rev's optimised for the 3.23 ratio.
No biggie, all will work fine.

The 3.45 ratio will benefit slightly more with the correct ecu (only with autos) as the rpm is optimised at speeds etc.
Otherwise it is so little difference that you wouldn't even notice it.

3.23 to 3.45 is really a waste of time, but better take off 'can be had' as above, you'll benefit with a stall.

I personally think a 3.45:1 with a manual gearbox is slightly too low, as when i had my car it used to make power at weired speeds. I prefered 3.23:1

anyways.... it will bolt straight in, and work no questions asked, Also you can fit a complete diff in a sedans boot/rear seats.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef falon + xk falcon

QLD, Australia

Krytox wrote:
I personally think a 3.45:1 with a manual gearbox is slightly too low, as when i had my car it used to make power at weired speeds. I prefered 3.23:1.

yeah i can agree with that i have a 5 speed and i went from the 3.08:1 to the 3.45:1 and its punchy around town but just doesnt feel right im hoping the 3.23:1 will be the middle man and keep me happy

i hate it when its raining, makes my left foot slip off the clutch all the time

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

61xkwagon wrote:
Krytox wrote:
I personally think a 3.45:1 with a manual gearbox is slightly too low, as when i had my car it used to make power at weired speeds. I prefered 3.23:1.

yeah i can agree with that i have a 5 speed and i went from the 3.08:1 to the 3.45:1 and its punchy around town but just doesnt feel right im hoping the 3.23:1 will be the middle man and keep me happy

I have a T5 (EA spec) and 3.27 diff gears in an ED sedan....yes, it is very punchy around town....still feels better to be in 3rd @ 50 or 60 kmh, and is good in 4th @ 70 kmh.....but, @ 40 kmh, 2nd is too revvy, and 3rd is too tall.........horses for courses I suppose.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Ford Falcon ED

TAS, Australia

Ive got a 3.27.1 Diff, Im not sure if its LSD, Not really sure how to tell. anyway ive been thinking of a diff upgrade and after reading this am wondering if different gears would make much of a difference to be worth doing. I wanted it rebuilt with a lsd centre (If theres not one in it) Id have to find out first. and 3.45 gears. I have a T5 box. Its pretty quick just round town and that but would changing gears make much a difference off the line? also has a bent axle (pretty certain as it makes a squeak sound rolling really slowly from the rear) my friend said it could just be the bearing but the sound goes away when over 50kmh . anyway to the point. would it be worth the money to get it rebuilt keep the gear ratios and new centre (if its not LSD) new discs and bearings and axle fixed? or am i better off sourcing another diff? lol hope that makes sense
Cheers in advance guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]