EF / EL Brake Light Switch 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF / EL Brake Light Switch
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: HOT EL

VIC, Australia

EF / EL Brake Light Switch !... OK most of us here have had it fail. About 5 years ago i was hit from behind at (what the police believe) to be 90k's in a EL Fairmont. Latter to find that the brake Lights where not working (that nasty brake pedal switch).. Do you think it is worth creating a petition to get Ford to do a recall ?

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:02 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

yeah for sure, at the very least the bastards could charge us what it costs them, the one i got for mine was made in mexico of all places, wouldn't mind betting it cost ford a s**t less than what they bloody charged me for mine ... can't remember now, it was almost 4yrs ago, over $30 tho if i remember rightly

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:36 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

hhah man it liek a $10 part

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:39 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
hhah man it liek a $10 part

Dsylexia strikes again...

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:23 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What is there to recall. Its a part with moving mechanical internals that is bound to wear out over time. Its like asking Ford to recall their cars when the brake pads get low and dont work as well.

And for the record, my brake switch is the original factory one, so its now over 7 years old. And checking my brake lights is a weekly task.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

there are other options rather than buying from ford from what i can remember they are a third of the price at repco, they take 5 mins to replace there are alot worse things that can happen.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: HOT EL

VIC, Australia

just thought i would get a feel for it...

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

how difficult would it be to set up a brake switch/light fail warning light??

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Mine failed about 6 weeks ago and when I pulled the brake light switch out, it turned out to be a Ford genuine switch. I checked around and was told that the Ford ones will break down as often as the $8 aftermarket ones so I decided to just use the $8 unit and save myself some money.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
What is there to recall. Its a part with moving mechanical internals that is bound to wear out over time. Its like asking Ford to recall their cars when the brake pads get low and dont work as well.

And for the record, my brake switch is the original factory one, so its now over 7 years old. And checking my brake lights is a weekly task.

A ford recall is a sensible thing for all road users as a single ford part can fail with no indication to the driver until he is hit in the rear. The fact that a mechanical part is the problem has no significance. I am sure if uni joints failures were common and flipping cars by dropping drive shafts, there would be a recall in a flash. After all, recalls are about safety :)

Just look at the last recall, magnas were recalled back due to a brake line being too close to the firewall insulation which could lead to the line rusting and the line bursting just when you need it.

Maybe rear endings are a bit differant in that they are probably not looked at so closely. They asumption may be that atleast one driver was not paying attension :)

Frankly, ford should be ashamed for having such a pissy brake switch design with no failure warning and i for one have lodged a defect notification with the Federal Office Of Road Safety (FORS) via the Department of Transport and Regional Services.

You too can lodge your own defect notice via the following link http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls/index.asp (bottom right of page) or peruse the mothly defects list (top right of the page) :)

Cheers

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

bentfairmont wrote:
how difficult would it be to set up a brake switch/light fail warning light??
Not very hard (now) - I've been trying to design a simple cct for some time, and have finally come up with it. It will provide brake lights even when the switch has failed, and will have a warning caption. Coming soon . . . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
arm79 wrote:

A ford recall is a sensible thing for all road users as a single ford part can fail with no indication to the driver until he is hit in the rear. The fact that a mechanical part is the problem has no significance. I am sure if uni joints failures were common and flipping cars by dropping drive shafts, there would be a recall in a flash. After all, recalls are about safety :)

Just look at the last recall, magnas were recalled back due to a brake line being too close to the firewall insulation which could lead to the line rusting and the line bursting just when you need it.

Maybe rear endings are a bit differant in that they are probably not looked at so closely. They asumption may be that atleast one driver was not paying attension :)

Frankly, ford should be ashamed for having such a pissy brake switch design with no failure warning and i for one have lodged a defect notification with the Federal Office Of Road Safety (FORS) via the Department of Transport and Regional Services.

You too can lodge your own defect notice via the following link http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls/index.asp (bottom right of page) or peruse the mothly defects list (top right of the page) :)

Cheers

seriously maybe they should do the same thing for brake light globes then, they just go every now and again it teh same thing, its not to hard to work out when your brake lights are not working ffs. ok yeah the brake switches are flawed not much you can do about it you can cry to ford or whoever as much as you like they arnt going to recall e series falcons now

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

We had our brake switch lock on last year, so that the brakelights where on all the time, slowly burning out.
We had to pay $40 for the new brake switch, taking only 10 mins to install.
We have only had the one go to date and we have a 97 falcon

Ballin-For-Life

Stock EL, Mods BA Light switch, and Ford seat covers.

More Mods due in next 6 months: AUII or ELGT rims, Full Exhaust system, Tint Windows, Lowered, and Audio System!!

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:14 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Rapier wrote:
seriously maybe they should do the same thing for brake light globes then, they just go every now and again it teh same thing
No it's not the same thing - most cars nowadays have 3 sets of brakelights, so a blown globe doesn't provide an issue.
Rapier wrote:
its not to hard to work out when your brake lights are not working ffs.
True, but you can't guarantee you've found this out the instant they've failed, more often it's discovered by accident.
Rapier wrote:
ok yeah the brake switches are flawed not much you can do about it you can cry to ford or whoever as much as you like they arnt going to recall e series falcons now
Correct, so put up with it or modify . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

um.. Ive been thinking about this brake switch over-ride or atleast a warning light.. and in reality you would just have another brake switch (possibly somewhere else), which is just gonne fail aswell... and both may fail... its a vicious cycle..

Snap, what have you got in mind? atleast in terms of triggering. unless its a secret?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next