Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont brakes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont brakes
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon / XG Panelvan

Hey guys, I recently did a caliper repair kit, got my front rotors machined new pads etc, put them all back in, and its making a weird clunking sound when I hit the brakes on occasions from the front passenger side only. Also those little metal slide things that tuck under your brake pads at the tops, are they vital? Because there were 2 missing from that front side. Also thinking of doing the back brakes, now I took the calipers off, whats stopping the rotor from sliding off? Or have I forgot something?

Thanks heaps guys

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont brakes
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:02 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

When you change the pads you need to also re grease the slides or else they can stick and cause the problem you have.
As for changing the back rotors when you take of the caliper there is a screw in the disk that you need to take out. After thats done the disk should come off with a few taps of a hammer around the back of the disk.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

93EB wrote:
After thats done the disk should come off with a few taps of a hammer around the back of the disk.

as long as the handbrake is off! :)

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon / XG Panelvan

Thanks for the reply mate,

I greased those slides up and replaced the rubber boots that were perished, but there were these other little thin metal slides that go under your brake pad tabs up the top and bottom to ensure the pads don't move around I'm assuming this could be the problem I have.

Thanks for the advice re rear brakes, I have only ever done drums so discs are a bit of a new thing for me, thanks for the tip.

Brad

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:21 pm 

NSW, Australia

The metal slides that go under the pads could cause a problem as they usually have a little grease on them to help easier pad movement. I suggest to grab some next time you go out to a wrecking yard.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Bradelz77 wrote:

I greased those slides up and replaced the rubber boots that were perished, but there were these other little thin metal slides that go under your brake pad tabs up the top and bottom to ensure the pads don't move around I'm assuming this could be the problem I have.

Thanks for the advice re rear brakes, I have only ever done drums so discs are a bit of a new thing for me, thanks for the tip.

Brad

The rear discs have a drum style hand brake on the inside them.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:13 pm 

NSW, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
Bradelz77 wrote:

Brad

With that mentioned you will also need the special tool for winding back the handbrake piston into the caliper.

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

93EB wrote:
MadMatt wrote:
Bradelz77 wrote:

Brad

With that mentioned you will also need the special tool for winding back the handbrake piston into the caliper.

That is pre EF with the hand brake as part of the caliper.

Member Number 8804

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]