Fordmods Logo

EF Propeller shaft balance flange. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Propeller shaft balance flange.
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys, I am pulling apart a EF Fairmont Wagon at the moment and I have noticed that the propeller shaft is aluminium and there is a balance flange at the front of the shaft. Can anyone tell me why this balance flange is installed. Also, will it fit an XH ute. The ute is automatic and the Fairmont is as well.

Post subject: Re: EF Propeller shaft balance flange.
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

Propeller shaft, its not a boat lol, dont yo mean tail shaft

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yes that is correct it is the propeller shaft. It is also commonly known as a tail shaft or drive shaft.
For those who are too dumb or too smart a*** it is the long metal thing that connects the gearbox to the diff.

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

lmao

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:15 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

au055 wrote:
Hi Guys, I am pulling apart a EF Fairmont Wagon at the moment and I have noticed that the propeller shaft is aluminium and there is a balance flange at the front of the shaft. Can anyone tell me why this balance flange is installed. Also, will it fit an XH ute. The ute is automatic and the Fairmont is as well.

Long Wheel Based (LWB) models had the longer alloy shaft...not sure what kind of alloy, but it definitely isn't steel. If I remember correctly, the ute is a short wheel based model and thus rendering the shaft out of the LWB too long for the SWB.

Short wheel based model shafts will be interchangeable with each other even if it is manual or automatic, steel/alloy.

Sorry can't help you in regards to the balance flange at the front of the shaft thingy.

EDIT: Propeller shaft is a shaft that is attached between a drive and driven gear/mechanism. since there is only one shaft in a Ford Falcon series...I don't see why it is so hard to understand that OP was talking about a tail shaft/drive shaft?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

lol it was attempt to make a joke , but i failed yet agian,

Quote:

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks for your input guys, any info is welcomed. I have always known this shaft to be a propeller shaft from when I was taught mechanics at about 15 years old by an "old school mechanic". If you go to workshop manuals it is described as a propeller shaft, hence the reason I call it that to avoid any confusion. frd906n, I did realise it was joke, no offence taken.

To simplify things I could have described it as the long cylindrical metal item that is connected from the rear of the transmission to the other long cylindrical thing that has a big bump in the middle. which spreads out to where the wheels are connected. This long cylindrical thing has multi functional/directional thingys at both ends to help it oscillate in both an upward and sideways direction whilst revolving.

This flange has me thinking that if it is to assist in providing a smoother ride then I can take the front uni joint off and put it onto my ute tailshaft. I am about to have a look at the engine mounts this morning as it is a bit rough in gear when idling and there is a vibration coming through the dash and it is annoying every time I stop in traffic. Cheers again guys and keep them coming. Steve.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

if you can get a pic of the flange, will be hell of alot easier to work out mate

Quote:

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

LWB Fords had them....Fairlane & wagon....there 2 different weights. Some ED manual sedans had them, but with a steel t'shaft.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/tailshaft-issue-t83781.html
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/quick-question-on-ef-el-tailshafts-t58617.html
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/manual-driveshaft-how-essential-is-it-t58306.html

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Many thanks snap0964, it was good reading and cleared up a lot of things. My auto works really good and smooth so I don't think that I will use this damper/balance flange on my XH. I managed to score some other parts off the Fairmont and put them into the XH so when I get some photos ready I will post them up in the Items for sale. This shaft and motor and other parts will be listed. Cheers again, Steve.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]