EF XR6- A few noises 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EF XR6- A few noises
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hi all, just lately i have been hearing some weird a** noises goin on with the XR6 both in the rear and front brakes and the steering.

When coming to a complete stop the rear brakes seem to make a fairly audible squeel followed by a grinding noise which sounds like metal rubbing against metal. :shock:

The front brakes only squeel but do not make the grinding noise like the rears.

Is it time for new brake pads? Or mabe the rotors are getting worn out? any hints, suggestions and feedback on this would be great. :P

Also the steering is making some weird a** noises too b4 going to a full steering lock or whateva you call it the front suspension and/or the wheels seem to make a noise also i cant really explain it but i can definately hear a noise that doesnt sound normal.

Mabe it has something to do with my tyres been a bit deflated or mabe i need to get the wheels aligned properly :?: What are your thoughts on this.

The steering vibrates when traveling at speeds of 100km/h+ and when deacelerating also between 120 and 100 km/h however past 130km/h it stops..... :?

What would be causing this. I mean i very rarely speed past 100km/h. But when traveling from victor to Adelaide the roads go from 60- 100 so i notice it alot. :x

Ne way hope some of ya's can help me out, it would be much appreciated :P

Andrew

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII 220kw Tickford powered.

ACT, Australia

Best thing to do, as it sounds like ya car may need a little TLC, get the following checked (at the minimum).

Wheel alignment,
New pads,
All the wheels balanced.

With those symptoms I would,

As above, plus

New disks,
New front wheel bearings,
New bushes all around,
New upper and lower ball joints
New outer tie rod ends, and have a damn good look at the inners.

Now before anyone says "Oh, that's overkill" it is what I would do. MY life is worth at least that!!!!

The car should be called "Frankenstien". EBII GLi skeleton, AU T2 220kw heart, AU2 brain, EF/EL for everything else.

"Bitza" Member 28 on FORDMODS v1.0 Joined 28-04-2002
"TS50EB" Member 300 on FORDMODS v1.1 Rejoined 6-11-2004

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks for the reply, i will definately get new brake pads very soon by the sounds of it and i will get the front suspension checked out to, I will be booking the car in for a wheel alignment and balance also.

Hopefully i can atleast get that done this week!

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

to explain the grinding sound in the rear it sounds like the disk has developed a lip and pads are really low and on braking it is grinding against the pad backing.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

F**k hell if thats the case i might forget the front wheel alignment etc and just get new pads for the rears. :shock:

Are Bendix performax discs okay to have with std rotors? or what other suitable pads are good on std rotors.

Thanks guys

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Also what are generally the average prices you would pay to get just rear brakes done, would it be like under $100?

I would do the work myself however the cars under a warrantee atm so i cant really do much work on it at all... :cry:

I might call a few places tommorrow and see what they can offer me..

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Also what are generally the average prices you would pay to get just rear brakes done, would it be like under $100?

Yeah that's about right mate. Have em check the rotors out. If they're too thin then you'll have to replace em otherwise can machine em to save a bit. Something like 70bucks a piece to replace rear rotors, about $100 a piece up front.... i forget. If the rear rotors come off, have em clean/adjust the handbrake shoes.

Parts are cheap but a fair bit of labour. I'd expect ts50eb's list to get up around 600-700 bucks at a workshop.... half of it labour, lol.

Pretty easy to visually inspect pads - if it looks like metal on metal then.... chances are its metal on metal, lol.

If you get the front rotors replaced, have em clean and repack the bearings if you dont wanna replace em.

After having full wheel alignment/balance recently I can vouch for the improvement that will make when you get around to it. Like a new car.

I assume you mean bendix performax pads (as opposed to discs)... yeah I've got performax on the front of mine, bendix standards on the rear, standard DBA rotors and it all "does the job"... nothing special tho. Ultimates seem to be popular on the front.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cool cheers man, yeah i meant bendix pads :roll: honestly i did :P Ne way im hoping the rotors will be alrite but i will definately get them checked out.

Atm i really just need new rear brake pads as the noise is really starting to piss me off!!! :roll: My fault i guess.

I will most likely (hopefully) this week get the rear brake pads done and the front wheel alignment/balance. That should improve the ride quality alot more i hope... :?

Thanks dude

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cool brakes are getting done on Thursday, ive decided to go with getting HighTek brake pads. As i have heard good things and they are only setting me back $85 including installation. Thats just for the rears. The front brakes still have pleanty of meat on them :) But i have other plans for the fronts :roll:

Next week i have booked the Xr6 in to get the whole front suspension checked out as well and the wheel alignment and balanacing is getting done too.

Hopefully no major problems going on with the suspension will find out later on next week ne way :roll:

Cheers for the help guys

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cool its all fixed, new brakes $85!! Works bloody excellent and no noises at all!!!

Just found out thou that i will need a new zorst system thou, the muffler is f**k on the inside and the pipe has some dents in it.... So i will have to go the whole new exhaust after all :roll: $$$!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]