Fordmods Logo

EF XR6 manual ECU, doing my head in!!!!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF XR6 manual ECU, doing my head in!!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF II XR6

VIC, Australia

Ok I am trying to find an Ef xr6 manual ecu, my car is auto at the moment and I want to do a manual conversion however apart from the fact that the xr6 manual ecu is harder to find then gold, the places I have called are telling me that there are 3 different part numbers just for the manual ecu, what is the difference between the 3? My car is just straight petrol (I don't know if that makes a difference) but could someone please shed some light on this situation on which ecu I need and I know this is a long shot but also if anyone knows where I can get one
thanks

Post subject: Re: EF XR6 manual ECU, doing my head in!!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ef2xr6 wrote:
Ok I am trying to find an Ef xr6 manual ecu, my car is auto at the moment and I want to do a manual conversion however apart from the fact that the xr6 manual ecu is harder to find then gold, the places I have called are telling me that there are 3 different part numbers just for the manual ecu, what is the difference between the 3? My car is just straight petrol (I don't know if that makes a difference) but could someone please shed some light on this situation on which ecu I need and I know this is a long shot but also if anyone knows where I can get one
thanks

Do you really have to have an EF XR6 Manual ECU? you can just do a resistor trick, or get a J3 chip from T.I. Performance (with an EF XR6 Manual ECU Flash on it) and that should solve the problem.

If you are dead set on an EF XR6 Manual ECU, then there should be only one part number as far as I am concerned. Someone should shed some light on which code it should have.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

any ef manual ecu should do the trick

i was running a manual EF gli ecu in my ef fairmont without issue

OR you can fit a J3 chip with a manual XR bin flashed onto it
http://www.tiperformance.com.au/

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I've thought about using a j3 chip but I don't know much about them, how do you fit them and what exactly do the do

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ef2xr6 wrote:
I've thought about using a j3 chip but I don't know much about them, how do you fit them and what exactly do the do

It's pretty simple. If you have a look at your ECU, there should be a black cover (assuming it is still sitting upright in the car) on the bottom. You have to pull this black cover off and there will PCB (printed circuit board) end exposed and if you have a look at it there are contacts on either side (I think...or just one side) of the protruding bit. The J3 chip has a socket which slides onto this exposed bit, however you need to take the ECU out and give the contacts a clean because it is coated with something to protect it. I used a flat head screw driver and carefully chipped it away and then cleaned the contacts with some spirits.

The J3 basically overrides what the ECU is supposed to be. So with the pre-programmed J3 chip, you can turn an ordinary EF GLi ECU into an EF XR6 Manual ECU or Fairmont Ghia etc.

Pretty nifty stuff and quiet cheap since you can tune it as well :D.

hope that helps

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

That's actually sounds better then getting the manual ecu, thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]