Fordmods Logo

EL AU V EF XR Upper trailing arms. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EL AU V EF XR Upper trailing arms.
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Got a EF XR6, I am fitting an AU diff and have got the EL/AU XR upper trailing arms. I have noticed the EF XR6 arms dont have the link eyes running paralell to each other but the EL/AU XR arms do, what other parts will I need to make the EL/AU ones fit.

Attachments:
P1030996.JPG
P1030996.JPG [ 160.15 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Post subject: Re: EL AU V EF XR Upper trailing arms.
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

That is very strange. All of the E Series upper control arms I have seen have the eyes parallel.

Very odd.

The EF XR6 has the same upper control arms as the other models and there was only one mount point on the diff bracket.

The EL XR6 however has two mount points on the upper diff bracket, and two different upper control arms.

The EL STD control arm is 20mm shorter than all the other E Series upper control arms and gets bolted to the forward bolt hole on an EL diff.

The EL XR control arm is the same length as the other E Series upper control arms, but has a kink on the diff end as it bolts to the rearward, lower bolt hole on the EL diff. This was done to correct the pinion angle and the kink allows for clearance of the diff tube at full suspension compression.

Here are couple of pics.

The left one is the EL STD arm, the right is the EK XR arm.

Unfortunately, the EF XR6 diff only has the one upper control arm mount point. It is possible late Series 2 EFs got the EL diff mounts. If you only have the one mount point. you will need to drill new holes to the back and lower on the upper bracket. I would recommend having a look under an EL to see what I mean.

I hope this helps a bit, but I think it may actually end up being more confusing.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

PM TerroristGHIA. He has fitted an AU diff into his EF and it is all bolted in and working of sorts.
Find out what he did.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

I've got an EF xr6 at home that was pulled to bits. I always thought the upper arms were strange as theyre short but i thought they were all 340mm versions. I guess they must all be like that seing yours look the same, i thought someone put El 320mm arms on but i guess theyre standard :P.
On the front end of the upper arm mount on the body, there is a bracket so it can be bolted to the body even though the arm isn't parralel. Now the EF has an EL diff on it with the normal 340mm arms. If you remove the bracket from the body the 340mm arms will go straight in since they didnt seem to change the design of the body just put a bracket on there. Another weird thing is the EF didn't have a lowered dif hat pivot, just the standard one.

On another note the EF also only has 1 bolt hole where the ED and EL have the second lower one. If you look on autospeed they put the whiteline XR arms with the lower bolt hole on the dif and the car handled a lot better. This seems a bit weird to remove it if it makes the car handle better.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Thanks for the replies guys. Went and pulled a set of standard EF upper arms and brakets off a wreck I have sitting at Mum and Dads, the arms are 340mm and almost identical to the XR arms apart from the bend down on the XR arms as they go over the diff, the standard brackets will fit the XR arms I bought and I will be able to use the back hole on the AU diff.
EF XR arms on left. Standard EF middle and EL/AU XR on right which bend down going over diff.

Attachments:
P1040029.JPG
P1040029.JPG [ 165.97 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I know it doesn't help you much, but the upper arms on my old EF XR6 are the same is your EFXR6 ones with non parallel mounts

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]