Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont Ghia front shocks 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Fairmont Ghia front shocks
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I've got new front shocks and springs, I've also got a spring compressor set.

Any guides on how to remove the front suspension assembly to replace? I've already done the rears myself.

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia front shocks
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Damoo wrote:
Hey guys, I've got new front shocks and springs, I've also got a spring compressor set.

Any guides on how to remove the front suspension assembly to replace? I've already done the rears myself.

Thanks much.

I did mine just the other day...there's just 3 nuts to undo from under the hood and one nut and bolt on the bottom control arm...I would put the compressors on and do them up so you wont have the spring pushing the shocks down when you take it out

Cheers
Luc

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Lucion wrote:
Damoo wrote:

Thanks much.

I did mine just the other day...there's just 3 nuts to undo from under the hood and one nut and bolt on the bottom control arm...I would put the compressors on and do them up so you wont have the spring pushing the shocks down when you take it out

Cheers
Luc

Thanks mate, no need to remove anything else besides obviously the wheels?

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Damoo wrote:
Lucion wrote:
Damoo wrote:

Thanks much.

Cheers
Luc

Thanks mate, no need to remove anything else besides obviously the wheels?

no that should do it...heres a tip for you..before you put your compressors on get a jack and jack up your control arm from the bottom and then put the compressors on anf do them up undo the bottom bolt and nut and take it out...then lower your jack and your control and will lower and free the bottom of your shock...then undo the 3 nuts up top and just pull it out

I hope that helps

Luc

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks much mate :)

Will probably do it this weekend, I'm stoked, can't wait to finally do them and be closer to getting the car on the road.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Damoo wrote:

Will probably do it this weekend, I'm stoked, can't wait to finally do them and be closer to getting the car on the road.

oh cool I am doing the same thing I should have it ready for a RW now.
have a look at my build thread if you get time its the link below

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

When I did the shocks on my EF, I did have to undo one of the control arms (upper, I think) to get the spring/shock unit out. But it's not a big job.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Lucion wrote:
Damoo wrote:

Sweet, I'm subscribed :mrgreen:

What do I have to do to remove the control arms?

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:57 am 
Smokin em up

Damoo wrote:
Lucion wrote:
Damoo wrote:

Sweet, I'm subscribed :mrgreen:

What do I have to do to remove the control arms?

Hi Mate
Well the hardest bit is the lower ball joint but you should not need to take that out just the shocker bolt and the lower control arm tension bar and the swing arm pin then pull out the bolt near the sump. And swing it out of the road. then pull it out from the bottom

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

You DON'T need to undo any balljoints or have your spring compressors anywhere near the car itself - you use those on the strut/spring unit once you have that out of the car!!!

Bugger releasing the lower arm or any balljoints - all you do is disconnect the sway bar on each side to make everything move easier (undo the lower nuts under the arms) - then undo the top arm hinge nuts in the engine bay (pay attention to any shims that are under the hinges if they're shim adjustable type) - that way you can swing the top arm right round and out of the way as necessary - ie. swivelling it at the top balljoint. The hinge nuts on the BBM side are a little awkward to reach - you'll need to remove the intake trunk and prolly the snorkel as well for best access.

Maybe use wire or string or something to keep the upright from flopping over as it will all be free swivelling on the lower balljoint - particularly watch not to stretch the brake line too much.

Once the top arm is free and swinging like that then take out the lower bolt attaching the strut to the lower arm (lower arm will drop away) - then you undo the three nuts on top of the tower in the engine bay to finally release the strut/spring assembly - taking car not to get hurt or break anything as it'll be free to just fall out once the last nut comes off - ie. be holding onto it at that point or have a jack under the lower arm supporting it all up into the tower etc.

Then you wrestle with the strut/spring unit ON THE BENCH with spring compressors...

When gettin it all back together pay attention to the relative position of the three top studs vs axis of the lower bolt clevis fitting on the strut - make sure it's gonna align ok before removing the spring compressors (ie. hold it up to it's position to check it).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]